Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo AES v CD

Hi everyone

A bit of advice please. I am thinking of purchasing a neo geo, but would like advice of whether to go for the AES or CD version. Are the AES games better than their cd counterparts

Thanks

the games are almost identical. The CD games downside is long loading times, their plus side, is affordability, Metal Slug Slug 1 being the best example. On the AES an original will cost ?1000+, wheeras the CD is a fraction of that.

I have owned both and prefer the CD controller, but the AES carts.

Comment

Plus many games didnt make it to cd, there are a couple of cd only release's too samuari showdown rpg being one of them. How many games were released for the neo cd? I quite fancy going for a full set.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
        How many games were released for the neo cd? I quite fancy going for a full set.
        I think 97 or 98, I'm not quite sure.

Personally I think the NGCD isn't that bad as some people make it to be. Sure, the loading times on Beat 'em ups are bad, even early games like KoF'94 or Samsho load as hell. On the other hand you can get most of the essential NG shooting games (Pulstar, Last Resort, Viewpoint, Metal Slug, NAM-1975) for really low prices and they all have very good loading times. Metal Slug 1 just loads 15 seconds between levels, the other ones except Pulstar don't have ingame loading times at all. Plus you can get other great titles like Windjammers or Top Hunter.

Personally I'd say if you're into shooting games and don't like Beat 'em ups that much, I'll go for a NGCD. On the other hand - fighters just aren't fun on the CD because of the really bad loading times.

Comment

Am i right in thinking that the ngcd is region free?
          Last edited by SuperDanX; 07-06-2006, 08:47.

Comment

Yup the NGCD is Region Free

Comment

What sort of price should i be looking to pay for a Neocd (boxed)

Comment

get an MVS and a supergun! heheh

Comment

I just got myself a AES and I'm loving it! The machine that I could only dream of owning when I was a kid..etc etc. If you have lots of money or don't mind just buying a couple of games a year then the AES or a full size arcade cab + MVS are the way to go. Otherwise the Neo-cd is pretty good, but if you don't like loading times, then try a supergun + MVS which is like an in between price wise.

Comment

Never liked the Neo Cd myself - the loading times aren't that bad but ruin the immediacy of some gaming experiences IMO. Plus, it's very ugly.

Comment

which neo geo cd system is supposed to have reliability problems?

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
                        which neo geo cd system is supposed to have reliability problems?
                        cdz is the worst i think

Comment

dont forget with a neo cd your missing out on the likes of:

garou motw
                          metal slug x,3,4,5
                          last blade 2(was released on cd but terribly cut down)

imo the best games on the system.

and games in general had animation frames cut bar a few.

Comment

There were a bunch of NOS CDZ's around a couple of years ago. If you must go for a NGCD, get a good CDZ. Slightly faster loading and a much much prettier console.
                            MVS is still the best budget Neo option by far though. The fighters will drive you nuts on CD.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX
                              Am i right in thinking that the ngcd is region free?
                              Yes, like the Homecart-System the version you get depends on the region of your console. If you play a US game on a JAP System, the game is in Japanese etc.
                              So aviod buying a PAL system as the games will be displayed in 50Hz. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X