Sega 32x RGB query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega 32x RGB query

any one using a MD II RGB lead with a 32x unit?

Having problems (no sound) using the above set up with a Jap Super 32x.

Just wondering if it is incompatible or the lead is faulty. Stunning RGB picture though.

Originally posted by dvdx2
    any one using a MD II RGB lead with a 32x unit?

Having problems (no sound) using the above set up with a Jap Super 32x.

Just wondering if it is incompatible or the lead is faulty. Stunning RGB picture though.
    Are you using a Megadrive 1?

Which connector lead to the 32x are you using (into the A/V in) is it the original Sega one (i.e. two leads connected together) or is it one you've bought from somewhere else?

Comment

hi,

I have the lead that came with the 32x, connecting it to the MD1; using a MDII scart lead to the TV (AV out)

any ideas?

Comment

Yeah I know what the prob. is I think - the Megadrive 1 outputs MONO audio only via 1 pin on its circular 8 pin connector, whereas the MD2 is stereo, hence it has 9 pins on its connector.

Whats happening is, mono audio is being taken from the MD1, and then it goes up the wire to where the 9 pin connector goes into the 32x - the 9 pin connector has a mono pin, and two pins for left and right (stereo sound).

With the regular RF connector, it expects mono sound, so it looks like the original sega lead, is wired up when it goes into the 32x for mono only.. these signals go inside the 32x, the 32x adds whatever picture information it processes, and it comes out to the scart.. so basically if mono is going in.. your RGB scart will be wired up for stereo only.. so its trying to take stereo.. where none exists..

I make up a lot of scarts myself (MD2 and the rest) and also the 32x connector cables, mine are wired up so that they work with the MD1 and 32x for both mono and stereo audio..

So basically you have three options - 1) Use an MD2 with the MD2 lead - which will route stereo audio into the 32x and stereo audio will come out - so you'll get the audio 2) Modify the SEGA lead 3) Buy replacement lead

If you'd like your lead modifying, I could do so for a small fee, otherwise I do sell correctly wired MD1 to 32x leads for ?8 each plus ?1.25 P+P - can appreciate the costs are a bit high for that, but I dont make much on them compared to the time spent making them, the costs of the connectors are really high because they're very hard to get and pretty much "obsolete nowadays"

Anyways let me know fella, hope this info's useful..

Comment

Oh btw - the leads I make, take the mono, and attach that to all three audio pins on the 9 pin connector.. i.e. we're passing mono to mono, stereo left and stereo right.. I guess thinking about it, I could make a stereo MD1 32x connector.. but you have to take stereo from the small headphone jack at the front of the MD1.

Comment

James, I guess I will suffer this no sound problem too.
            I think I need an MD2 RGB cable, but with Red and White AVs wired to the L and R stereo pins on the scart pins so I can tap stereo sound from the MCD's Stereo AV outs. I currently have a 3.5 to 3.5 cable running between my MD1 into the "mixing" port on the back of the MCD1, so the phone sockets are the only free ports.

This should work right?
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Brb while I dig out a Mega CD manual

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi
                James, I guess I will suffer this no sound problem too.
                I think I need an MD2 RGB cable, but with Red and White AVs wired to the L and R stereo pins on the scart pins so I can tap stereo sound from the MCD's Stereo AV outs. I currently have a 3.5 to 3.5 cable running between my MD1 into the "mixing" port on the back of the MCD1, so the phone sockets are the only free ports.

This should work right?
                Ok hmm, ive read a Mega CD manual, its quite confusing, it seems with the original MD1 you connect the stereo mixing cable from MD1 headphone port to mixing port of MCD, but with the MCD and MD2, you connect two phonos directly to the left and right stereo audio ports, and then to your hifi etc

But you want to use the stereo sound on your telly? Oh I see..

Well yeah.. add on a couple of phonos coming out the 9 pin end (of the SCART) and use them for audio instead of the 9 pin, then route the signals down the cable, into the scart as normal.. could do that..

What does the "mixing" socket actually do though? Ive never really used it?

Comment

Originally posted by chaoticjelly
                  What does the "mixing" socket actually do though? Ive never really used it?
                  Dunno about that matey, summat to do with adjusting the sound of the MD and MCD at the same time or summat.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                  X