Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Originally had Symphony of the Night in 1997, but never played it that much as i sold my PS soon after. Having purchasing it again i'm just after completing this yesterday. What a game.

I completed it in 3 day's with 90% of the game complete. Don't know if i'll go back for that extra 10% because i want to start another game. Overall, a class game with **** kicking music and level design. The only aspect of the game i was disappointed with was....it ended too soon, would've liked it to last a bit longer.

I'm going to get the 3 GBA versions, followed by the DS game (one at a time though). Symphony of the Night was the 4th Castlevania game i've completed. Roll on the other 4.

Dude... You'll want to beat more then 90%. You only beat half of the game! The percentage goes over 200. And yes, it's a great game. I played it for the first time late last year and fell in love with Castlevania, especially the music. But SotN is still the best one of em'.

edit: I'm sorry to spoil you but you deserve it. You wanted more and, alas, there is more! Enjoy. I did!
    Last edited by danholo; 02-07-2006, 19:48.

Comment

Originally posted by danholo
      Dude... You'll want to beat more then 90%. You only beat half of the game! The percentage goes over 200.
      Tell me more mate...the game goes over 200%. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by the_dude
        Tell me more mate...the game goes over 200%. Wow.
        One of the sweetest things I ever found out about a game. I so wanted more Castlevania: SOTN and to find out I had only half completed it was such a great feeling.

You need to search the other 10% and find the gold and silver ring (if I remember right) then wear them both in the clock room. The floor will open, you will do something then gain something. Wear it then go fight ritcher.

Comment

I seriously thought the game only went to 100% (as most games do), but this is an excellent surprise. More Castlevania.

Just after reading on Gamespot it's possible to get 203.6%. I've already beaten Ritcher and got the end credits. There was a bit in the game (far left of the map/north west) when you enter the room you need to change into a Bat because above and below are spikes. At the end of this room is a door with a blue glow to it, i tried shifting into Mist, but still couldn't get through? I'll go back now to see if i can get in.

Comment

One of my favourite games of all time, i remember buying it on the strength of the C&VG 'High five' review at the time. The way the game hits you after you think you've finished it is genius, the level design inherent for this to work is quite simply amazing
            Think i got about 197% before giving up...

Comment

I'm another one of the many who absolutely adores this game Definitely in my top 10 of all-time.
              Originally posted by the_dude
              There was a bit in the game (far left of the map/north west) when you enter the room you need to change into a Bat because above and below are spikes. At the end of this room is a door with a blue glow to it, i tried shifting into Mist, but still couldn't get through? I'll go back now to see if i can get in.
              I don't want to go spoilering you, but that's not the method you're meant to use to get in there... Have a look at your armour list, you may have something in there that'll help.

I have a really nice story connected to this game, too. Back when it was released I was going to buy it (also spurred on by the CVG review, Oh!_Mutants ), and saw the limited edition in my local shop one week. Didn't have the cash, so went back a week later to buy it, and they only had the normal edition. Bought it regardless, but in desperate search for the LE goodies, wrote a letter to Konami (you can tell that I was young and enthusiastic) asking if it was possible to get hold of the CD / artbook anywhere.

Couple of weeks later, a big package turns up on my door, with a nice letter, a complete limited edition of the game (the whole damn thing!), and a bunch of extra goodies (SoTN posters, assorted other Konami posters, Konami keychains), all free of charge. Dead chuffed, I was

Comment

To get through the door with a blue glow you need a ring/item. I forget where it is though.

If you do not have armour that will 'obviously' help you in your inventory, go to the ice cave to the wooden bridge. The skeleton throws heavy objects at you and that wooden bridge is weak......

Comment

Originally posted by fuse
                  I'm another one of the many who absolutely adores this game Definitely in my top 10 of all-time.
                  I don't want to go spoilering you, but that's not the method you're meant to use to get in there... Have a look at your armour list, you may have something in there that'll help.

I have a really nice story connected to this game, too. Back when it was released I was going to buy it (also spurred on by the CVG review, Oh!_Mutants ), and saw the limited edition in my local shop one week. Didn't have the cash, so went back a week later to buy it, and they only had the normal edition. Bought it regardless, but in desperate search for the LE goodies, wrote a letter to Konami (you can tell that I was young and enthusiastic) asking if it was possible to get hold of the CD / artbook anywhere.

Couple of weeks later, a big package turns up on my door, with a nice letter, a complete limited edition of the game (the whole damn thing!), and a bunch of extra goodies (SoTN posters, assorted other Konami posters, Konami keychains), all free of charge. Dead chuffed, I was
                  [/size][/font][/size][/font]
                  Cheers for the tip Fuse. That's a cool story, by the way, do you still have all those goodies.

I'm really surprised at the 200%, man, if this was on 360 they would've put the extra 100% on Xbox Live Market Place.

Comment

Man, this brings back some memories. (^_^)

I remember after I first thought I'd finished, wishing there was more, only to find out there were the other endings.

Sheer brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse

[/size][/font][/size][/font]
                      That is quality , you still have it all? Don't think many companies would be good enough to do that these days.
                      I was working at Electronics Boutique when i got the game and after playing it through, i pimped it to EVERY customer that would listen (and lots that wouldn't ). So i guess quite a few people picked up a future rarity cos of my youthful (at the time) enthusiasm, though many probably sold it on later for a huge profit on ebay

Comment

<Starts writing letter to Konami >

Comment

Originally posted by Press Start To Begin
                          To get through the door with a blue glow you need a ring/item. I forget where it is though.

If you do not have armour that will 'obviously' help you in your inventory, go to the ice cave to the wooden bridge. The skeleton throws heavy objects at you and that wooden bridge is weak......
                          The more you guy's tell me about the game, has made me realise just how much more there is to complete in terms of items, weapons etc. Cheers bud.

Comment

Yeah, discovering you'd only played half the game, and then were suddenly treated to a whole other helping of brilliance, is one of my stand out memories of gaming. Stunning game. Such a pity mags back in the day slated it for being 2D. Plus of course, as most know, SCEA didn't want it released, and only did so after Konami twisted their arm.

What year did it come out, 1997? It's close to a decade old now, but I'd say it hasn't aged a day. Still great fun to load up.

Comment

Yeah, that Limited Edition is super rare now. In fact that was the version i had in 97, minus the art book as i got the game as a swap. I'm playing the US Greatest Hits version just now (full screen, 60Hz ) on the PS2. I tried changing the Disc Speed on the PS2 for PSone games, but the in game music jumps as the disc is spinning too fast for the laser to read. The textures are fine though when you select the smooth option.

Comment

Working...
                              X