the SEGA rememberence thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the SEGA rememberence thread

Since the 'real' sega has been long dead (sega sammy is just a bastardised clone) lets rise our glasses (or in my case a bottle of liptons ice tea) to the old king, may you rest in peace. Sega gave us great times and great memories, and now lets remember the great days and the bad of the original king of cool SEGA.

*fanboy mode* sega made the best games and the best consoles *fanboy mode* the videogame industry hasn't been the same without them.

My first Sega console was a master system back in 1993 with a built in sonic game (i was only like what 8 back then so i couldn't afford a snes or md) i always liked sega as a kid as they always seemed cool. Sold my MS to get a snes a couple of years later. But when it came to consoles Sega's was always the ones i opted for buying a saturn and then later a DC.

I don't think even nintendo could match the games sega produced in its prime shenmue, nights, burning rangers, jet set radio, Sega wasn't only content with giving us great games they wanted us to have new experiences as well. It did feel especially during the DC days that Sega generally loved their audience. Sega were kings, i am sure that if it wasn't for them i wouldn't still be playing videogames today.

To be honest i have very fond memories of Sega, mainly due to the Megadrive. In my childhood days the Megadrive was in it's last years but i still remember Road Rash, Streets Of Rage and Street Racer all with affection.

When i was younger, i would have probably been classed as a fanboy of Sega's, but since then i discovered Nintendo which shook my world but i still think Sega will probably just have edged it mainly due to the memories that i have of their machines.

Comment

I was never a huge fan of the Mega Drive, but it had some absolute classics like Ristar.

And the Dreamcast is still my favourite console. So much quirky fun!

During the end of the DC days though, I think the quality slipped a bit.

I can't think of one Sega game after the Dreamcast that has really stuck in my head other than Outrun 2.

Comment

The stuff that the AM and CS teams produced both on the arcades and consoles were nothing short of stunning - it was a truly golden age of gaming from SEGA that we'll sadly never see again. It's for this reason that I'll always hold on to my Saturn and Dreamcast.

Comment

One of the nice things is if you go on a plane to Japan... Sega are very much still alive. They're everywhere. You walk around the hotel, there's a Sega Arcade in the hotel, you walk out of town there's Club Sega, big Sonic mascots. Japan is like you died and went to Sega heaven.

You walk around Japan, you come away thinking Sega are the biggest games company in the world.

For me the Sega Golden Age was Sega Master System to just before the 32X. King of the arcades and at home too. Then the 32X and Mega CD came out, wasn't the same. Then Saturn came out which rocked... But only 10 million bought it...

Got myself a Master System for christmas, got OutRun, Choplifter, After Burner, lots of awesome stuff. Could have got Phantasy Star but I didn't know about RPGs back then. Gave away my Master System to a friend, he broke it... Twat. But got a brand new Sega Megadrive. More awesome games. Sonic, Ristar, Eternal Champions, Streets of Rage, Chaos Engine, ton of awesome stuff. We got a real version of Mortal Kombat 1 with no censorship, Sega seemed much cooler than Nintendo. People started saying Nintendo were a kiddy company for the first time, but not Sega. Real mans video game company eh?

The the Mega CD came, with Night Trap, Cobra Command, lot of dodgy stuff, it wasn't the same... I avoided 32X thank god.

Then I got my Saturn. I thought it was awesome, I played Daytona on a real steering wheel,thought it was way better than Ridge Racer. I played Virtua Fighter at home and thought it was much better than Tekken 1, I even liked Clockwork Knight. Then the better games came along, Nights, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix. Trouble was I liked it... Nobody else did! They took the piss, called it Uranus. They had their Mario 64 and Wipeout. Lonely times being a Segan. But you know, I'd rather play great games than miss out and fit in.

The last great game I got was Panzer Dragoon Saga, and talk about a console going out with a bang. The games dried up so I stopped playing Saturn, played my Playstation, mentally switched from Saturn being my main console to Playstation. Then Dreamcast came out and for a year I had a Sega Indian Summer. First game I got was VF3tb, Soul Calibur came later. But soon as the PS2 came out, the Dreamcast ran out of games. I switched to PS2. Good times with GT3, SSX, TTT, DMC and the rest.

And that was it really. I still buy Virtua Fighter on Playstation, I'm looking forward to the new VF5 on PS3, but really I don't give Sega much thought these days. Sad really.
          Last edited by Applefiend; 06-07-2006, 20:51.

Comment

sega is all about the megadrive for me. it was my first "real" machine and there are just so many great games for it, so many sweet memories... it will always have its place under my telly.

sold my first one though, to buy a snes, but sold that later and got another megadrive. sold that to get a psx but ended up getting the megadrive back. says it all really. the machine's library just has it all for me, I'd be happy just playing my md until the day I die if I had to.

sonic, phantasy star, streets of rage, golden axe, shinobi, wonderboy, comix zone, shining force...

Comment

Burning Rangers + Shining Force III = 32 bit Heaven!

Comment

I adore SEGA but I think you're wrong in the assumption that they're dead.

From Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Rez to Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2 SP, Shinobi, Virtua Fighter 4 Evo and Super Monkey Ball.

Granted they were knocking out belta after belta of games on the Dreamcast but every comapny has a classic phase. Look at Nintendo for instance, it's been 8 years since they made a classic and no one says their dead...

Comment

8 years since a nintendo classic? :O Luigis Mansion, i loved that! New Super Mario Bros? shocking :P

I kinda see what Muse is saying with crap like Final Fight Streetwise & Shadow the Hedgehog, stuff pandering to this "cool generation" it is such a shame to see such a respected dev releasing such trash

Comment

They're not dead, but they're not the Sega I fell in love with during the time of the Dreamcast.

The usual suspects.

Shenmue, Zwei, Saga, Rez, Space Channel 5, Virtua Tennis, PSO, NiGHTS ftw.

I wish it was 2000 and early 2001 all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by angelx
                      8 years since a nintendo classic? :O Luigis Mansion, i loved that! New Super Mario Bros? shocking :P

I kinda see what Muse is saying with crap like Final Fight Streetwise & Shadow the Hedgehog, stuff pandering to this "cool generation" it is such a shame to see such a respected dev releasing such trash
                      I'm joshin of course but you could apply what Muse is saying to any Developer, Musician or Food producer! I class SEGA's great years during the Dreamcast's. Not only were they great with a brillant console to back them up but I had my first job and was old enough to buy them.

Strangley I look over the junk that was released for the platform and with rose glasses firmly about my person, rember the brillance! 8) Nintendo's last truely brillant game was Zelda Ocarina of time. You could argue that thay havent released anything as brillant since then and claim them as dead yet one look at Metroid Prime dispell's this. Outrun 2 SP? Excatly the same.

You cynical old buggers!

Comment

Unlock and play the special Sega tracks in Sonic Riders. They're brilliant. A real trip down nostalgia lane.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by master chief

From Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue and Rez to Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2 SP, Shinobi, Virtua Fighter 4 Evo and Super Monkey Ball.

Granted they were knocking out belta after belta of games on the Dreamcast but every comapny has a classic phase. Look at Nintendo for instance, it's been 8 years since they made a classic and no one says their dead...
                            yeah but Nintendo hasn't stopped making hardware, been eaten up by another company, and nearly all their talent jump ship. Nintendo are still the same company, they just had a little blip, i'm sure they would produce some true killer games soon enough. Sega however haven't released much that touches the worse of what nintendo offers, they are nothing more than an EA clone today, and unlike nintendo i have this feeling that we will never see any great games come out from them ever again. In my eyes the SEGA that gave us shenmue, jet set radio, nights, virtua fighter 2, etc is not the SEGA of today which gives us sonic riders

Comment

Originally posted by master chief

Spot on post , They 'll never be the old SEGA again , but to make out SEGA haven't made a few classics since the DC is just utter bullsh8t ORTA, JSRF, VF IV are some of the best games I've played last gen.

NCL inthe home have just as much to prove , they've only made 2 game that can even be classed AAA , inthe shape of Jungle Beat and Zelda The rest have been utter tripe with Mario SS and Luigi just being insults to NCL games. Butmuch like SEGA Arcade divsion , NCL Handheld Teams haven't put a foot wrong.
                              To me SEGA consumer Teams made far more classics , than NCL Home Teams this gen (if we're just talking Home Consoles here) and the Mario Team have just to much to prove as the Sonic Team becasue Mario and Lugi were so poor (not as bad as Shadow I'll give u that)

Comment

Working...
                              X