The Segagaga thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Segagaga thread

flicked through some old DC mags and noticed this a game called segagaga. I remembered reading about it before (shame it never got an english release), anyways the point of the game is for you to run SEGA and try and make them the most successful company in the world. Its almost like SEGA know they've messed up manytimes in the past and to stop us whinging they just said 'fine lets see if you can do better', well lets see if we can, with the benefit of hindsight of course.

Okay imagine if you were running SEGA back in the day, what decisions would you make and what decisions wouldn't you make? what would you have done to steer the company in the right direction? what would you have done to topple Sony and Nintendo? basically what you believe would have made SEGA the world's no1.

Okay heres mine:

wouldn't have released either the mega cd - i know it is decent enough but i doubt it did much to enchance SEGA's reputation, probably did more harm then good. The funds used on the mega cd could have been injected into producing more quality software for the megadrive, encourage developers to work on one format instead of various formats which would just confuse. I don't believe that segregating your usebase is the best best idea.

Originally posted by muse hunter

wouldn't have released either the mega cd - i know it is decent enough but i doubt it did much to enchance SEGA's reputation
    Ding!

I'm sure if you asked SEGA the same thing they would agree with you.

Comment

Mega CD shouldve been much more powerful.

Comment

no one else has any points?

anyways i was thinking of ways which would have made the MD more popular in japan, but so far haven't got a clue. The nes was so popular would sega have had any chance of toppling nintendo?

Comment

How could they have defeated PC Engine even, I believe NEC threw the DUO out to suprise the public a week or so before Mega CD hit and completely ruined their launch.

Comment

A DVD player/drive in the Dreamcast may of helped them stand out agianst the PS2 (if they could find a way round the problem of the manufacturing cost that is).

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
              Ding!

I'm sure if you asked SEGA the same thing they would agree with you.
              yeah if SEGA wanted to add thta extra bit of power to its games it should produce extra chips that can give it that extra performance like they did with vitua racing, and what nintendo did with many snes games. I'm sure that sonic cd for example could have been produced on the MD perfectly, obviously without the intros. The games would be more expensive but you wouldn't be segregating your userbase. I thought SEGA at that time were insecure about the MD's hardware, the power of the snes and forthcoming jaguar and 3D0 seemed to scare them, they probably thought consumers might ignore the MD for the more 'powerful' consoles. In releasing the mega cd and even the 32X i think SEGA showed they lacked faith in the MD's hardware, and maybe that is what they needed to do have more faith in the MD. Its hardware was good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09
                Mega CD shouldve been much more powerful.
                It was powerful much more than most will give it any credit for, no other machine could have handle Batman Returns , not even the Neo Geo .

Games like Lunar II (looks better than the Saturn/PS ports) Batman Cliffhanger, F1 Beyound the Limit (way ahead of its time for a console sime) SoulStar, Battle Corps, Tunder Hawk, Final Fight, Wing Commander, Rise Of The Dragoon showed what the machine could do inthe right hands . It gave a lot of what MD developers were asking at the time ie..
                No cart limits, much better sound chip, more CPU power, multi scaling and rotation effects not just for sprites but also for backrounds and 6Mb of main Ram (bigger than a lot of carts) Not too bad for 1991 tech

Anway here's some mine

1) No 32X (The cock up that cost SEGA

2) Saturn would have had Sonic The Arcade game to make Sure the Saturn had a Sonic game ready at launch

3) Made another Dinsey game using the 2D power ofthe Saturn

4) Street Of Rage IV with massive sprites and 4 player mode

5) Port more of the system 18/32 Arcade games

6) Would have never Eternal Champions

7) would have kept the look and front of end of the Jp Saturn (not just the joypads)

8) Brought out the white Saturn and NetLink to the UK

9) But out Lobomtomy

10) Made sure Twats like Bernie never took control of SEGA America

11) Buy Out Scavenger

12) Made Hand Held Saturn with Hitach

Comment

Echo

I'm in agreement with most of the points brought up. They may however make it up to me by releasing a Bare Knuckle compilation of some sort.

Comment

Quadruple post impressive hehe.

For sure Mega CD had power, I feel it missed some major tricks like not increasing the pallette most seriously. It needed to be closer to 32x.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoise
                      A DVD player/drive in the Dreamcast may of helped them stand out agianst the PS2 (if they could find a way round the problem of the manufacturing cost that is).
                      the problem with that is the price of a dvd drive in 1998 would skyrocket the price of the console, with consumer apathy towards sega at the time i'm sure hey couldn't afford to sell the DC at a high price. But yeah a DVD drive would have benefited the DC, maybe sega should have not released it so early, waited until 2000 so they could refine the hardware that little bit more, have an affordable DVD drive (which should have be available by then) in the console. Sony were in no rush to release the ps2, its was only because SEGA released the DC so early that sony got the ps2 out. So releasing the DC a couple of years later would not have harmed the console, a DVD drive and slightly refined hardware would have given the console a better chance against its competitors.

Comment

batman returns couldnt be done on the MVS? hmmmmmm

the megacd was dissapointing to say the least.

sega needed a better image, that thin legged 80's shades wearing blue thing didnt help

Comment

Originally posted by muse hunter
                          the problem with that is the price of a dvd drive in 1998 would skyrocket the price of the console, with consumer apathy towards sega at the time i'm sure hey couldn't afford to sell the DC at a high price. But yeah a DVD drive would have benefited the DC, maybe sega should have not released it so early, waited until 2000 so they could refine the hardware that little bit more, have an affordable DVD drive (which should have be available by then) in the console. Sony were in no rush to release the ps2, its was only because SEGA released the DC so early that sony got the ps2 out. So releasing the DC a couple of years later would not have harmed the console, a DVD drive and slightly refined hardware would have given the console a better chance against its competitors.
                          Since when has a Sega console been on top? This is not what we love the company for. Theres no point speculating what could have been, because Sega probably would have done it the same way given a chance.

They just had to make their hardware more desirable, and their image cooler.

... plus, what was that moon shape MD controller about, anyway?

MD kids had a rough time at our supermarioworld biased school ;_;

Comment

batman returns couldnt be done on the MVS? hmmmmmm

the megacd was dissapointing to say the least.

And I bet all you even got to play on it was Final Fight or the likes of Sonic CD . Also the Neo Geo couldn't handle Multiple scaling and rotating sprites and background rotation which could be titled .

Comment

Since when has a Sega console been on top?
                              They were on top for most of the ealry 90's and even as late as 95 were the marketshare leader in Europe

Comment

Working...
                              X