Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the chances a load of new & unopened US SNES...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the chances a load of new & unopened US SNES...

...games are gonna turn up in some previously undiscovered crate somewhere?

Because I can't find any, anywhere! Alright, I'm not looking for brand new, unopened games but trying to get a few, seemingly very common ( Super Mario World alone must have sold by the million ) complete in box US SNES games is proving a little more difficult than I ever imagined.

What was it about American Super Nintendo owners that lead them to chuck all their boxes and manuals away? If I see the words 'cart only' again on eBay.com I'm gonna scream. Collecting for my old Japanese SFC was a piece of piss and nearly every game was not only complete but the outer box was usually pristine too.

Is this a common complaint or am I just looking in the wrong places?

Im more of a Sega Megadrive gamer, i don't know too much on snes. But i remember my cousin bought a US snes when he went over there for a holiday and he had alot of Mario stuff. Im sure they were complete in boxes.

Only trouble with cardboard cases, they get too tatty if u just want to play the game and u need special storage to keep them pristine

Last edited by tbm; 13-07-2006, 22:56. Reason: no ebay auctions allowed

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's an American trait to chuck away boxes and manuals. Ebay.com seems to have far more cartridge only auctions than any of the other Ebay sites. I remember in the past when I used to go looking for complete US Snes games and it was a real chore finding them. I wouldn't exactly throw away boxes and manuals myself, but I can see the sense in it for people who are only concerned with playing the games. I mean who needs the hassle of storing a bunch of delicate cardboard boxes, life's too short. I'm all about cart only these days.

Also, I'd say there are crates and crates of unsold videogames for almost all formats lying undiscovered, it's just a matter of tracking them down. Often you will see a glut of brand new copies of a certain retro game flood the market.

Comment

I just think that American SNES carts look so 'tough guy' that the actual boxes/manuals that surround them seem inferior or unnecessary somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
          I'm pretty sure it's an American trait to chuck away boxes and manuals.
          Almost. You need to insert the words "game shops" between the words "American" and "trait" here. They did it primarily to save space. Cue mass outcry from lots of collectors in general. Some have even taken to dumpster diving out the back of shops in the past to rescue the cardboard.
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

A couple of years ago a mate of mine was on holiday in America, when he spotted some brand new sealed games in somewhere like Funcoland (I think that?s what he said it was called). Anyway he bought a couple back home with him. He said the games on offer were Vegas stakes, Space invaders, Doom , F zero, Vortex and Super Mario World . I think both F zero and Mario were the copies with the players choice gold rosette on the box. I think they were all ten dollars a pop and have since seen quite a few of the same copies mentioned floating about on the likes of fleabay , VGI and even Console Passions had a few in not so long ago.
            Last edited by steamy pile; 13-07-2006, 23:53.

Comment

my heart bleeds for you snes collectors, i tried it before but never again, just trying to find a game in acceptable condition is hard enough.

Comment

only way to get good condition SNES games was to buy em brand new week of release before all the kiddies started grubbing up the boxes. You only need to take a quick glance at the GBA shelves in game shops to see how easily those lovely shiny brand new game boxes get messed up before they even get sold.

Comment

I love the possibility that there may be a factory out there somewhere full of palettes upon which brand new, unopened games sit, quietly awaiting discovery. Imagine one of those huge industrial containers out in some desolated wasteland chock full of original, unopened games like Neo Geo AES Metal Slug 1 games, could you imagine the stampede that would follow?

Comment

you think finding good condition SNES games are hard? try looking for good condition game boy games >_<

Comment

I bet if you opened the sealed new snes, it'd still be yellow

hehe just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
                        I bet if you opened the sealed new snes, it'd still be yellow

hehe just kidding
                        haha brilliant.

Agree with the dude who said about boxed Gameboy games...i think it must be pretty hard to get ANY boxed games in decent condition.

But it may be due to the fact then when you buy cart games,you don't really need the box or packaging to keep it safe,Unlike CD games which may get messed up on pretty much anything.

And cardboard just doesn't demand the same respect as plastic

Comment

Working...
                        X