Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to build an 'authentic' mame cab, suggestions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to build an 'authentic' mame cab, suggestions please.

I've been looking into starting my project of building a mame cabinet recently and found this:
    cabinet kit

It looks pretty good and seems to use good quality stuff, however I admit I'm not that knowledgable in this area!

What I'm after is creating an absolutely top quality cocktail cabinet using the best accessories available, joysticks, buttons etc to give a totally authentic experience. I'd even be looking to connect up a Hantarex or equivalent monitor rather then use a PC one.

Anyway can anyone here give me any advice on if the above kit is a quality one?

Any more kit suggestions would be great too? What I'd really like is for the table to be designed so 2 players play side by side rather then facing each other, ala Robotron. Anyone seen if this design of kit exists?

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by gizmo1990; 18-07-2006, 11:50.

I see that the 'ZOMG ULTIM-8 MAME CAB' decal stereotypes are in full effect: you get a choice of underlays between Galaga, Pac-Man stuff and a big garish 'MAME' logo. Turning to the subject at hand, I can't help but think that it's a little overpriced, and that although building your own might be a 'learning experience', it's the best idea in the long run.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Psi.

Don't worry I wouldn't be buying ANY of those awful faceplates! I'd either do my own or leave it blank.

I agree the cabinet maybe a little over priced but when you consider all the work needed to actually do one yourself I don't consider it too bad, the tables finish looks really good.

Thats not even considering the actual quality of the job I'd be able to do either. If I do say so myself, I'm a pretty good handyman/carpenter BUT I simply don't have access to all the tools and space needed to do a really quality job.

A good example of this is all those DIY programmes on cable. Y'know the ones where some (usually) bearded american builds a fantastic mock chippendale table in 10 easy steps. It's only until after the show that you realise that the guy has every hand and power tool known to man and a workshop the size of Victoria Beckhams wardrobe!

Anyway I digress.. Does anyone know if there are other cocktail type kits available that offer side by side 2 player setups? Thats what I'm really after?

Comment

Authentic.............mame. lol.

In all seriousness tho, you can get some great advice stretching back some years here http://www.arcadeathome.com/forums/ in the "Building Cabinets & Control Panels" section.

Comment

Oddly enough I've been considering building something to get that proper arcade feel. I'm still in the research bit - but this site (and it's forums) are serving some inspiration:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

I reckon I'll be buying most of the bits from here too - www.ultimarc.com - then getting the old man to help with the woodwork...

---
          S0L
          ---

Comment

Thanks for the Ultimarc link. I'd seen that before and totally forgotten about it.

Comment

Check out my site, go to the Arcade section, it's quite indepth of how I converted a Capcom cab to MAME, may have some info you find useful.

Last edited by Matt; 18-07-2006, 16:48.

Comment

would it not be cheaper to pick up a JAMMA cab and convert that?

Comment

Please don't spend ?600 on that kit. You could build something way better from scratch for that money, maybe even in an original cocktail.

Comment

Okay okay, I probably won't go with the kit!

It's not side by side controls either which is the real clincher for me.

So can some knowledgable chap name me some cocktail table designs that came with side by side controls, which I can use for inspiration?

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990
                      So can some knowledgable chap name me some cocktail table designs that came with side by side controls, which I can use for inspiration?
                      Without willy waving too much I do own the best one ever but having said that I can't recall seeing a table released over here in a side-by-side format.
                      There's nowt wrong with cocktail Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Galaga, Donkey Kong though..

Comment

Joust has side-by-side controls, though it would need new joysticks at least as the Joust standard ones are only two-way (left-right).

Most likely not cheap though!

Comment

Cool. Never seen one of those. These things were a bit before my time tbh, but you're right, they can be VERY collectible, and expensive, but finding a shell, getting it powdercoated and sticking a PC inside would be pretty pimp. If there was a Joust table Williams probably did others.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls
                            Without willy waving too much I do own the best one ever
                            Prepare to be slightly miffed when mines done then!

Regarding a Joust cocktail table. I've just tracked some pics down and it looks a little too funky for my liking, nice though.

Any other side by side horizontal monitor cocktail suggestions?

Comment

To be honest if you have ?600 to spend you want to be looking at a proper Jamma cab, something Japanese even.

Comment

Working...
                              X