Kiwi Love.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kiwi Love.

I've had a real revival of love for The New Zealand Story lately, and as far as a search tells me this forum has never played host to a thread dedicated to it so here it is

Stuffed full of warps, tricks and the like, I never enjoyed a platformer in the arcade more (with the possible exception of Bubble Bobble), and spent a lot of 10p pieces on it growing up.

The main attractions for me now are the bright cheery visuals and the brilliant level design. It's a proper platformer, and a rock hard one to boot. The enemies are pretty vicious from the get-go, and the unusual mid-air movement takes a while to get used to at first.

I can't wait for the DS version due in the next few months

Memories and love from anyone else?

Been playing this on Taito Pocket on my busride to work this morning, it's ace

Oh and don't worry about the DS version, it's a hell of a lot better than Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands.

Comment

everytime i go outside i hear a bird call that always reminds me of the first bosses music in new zealand story

Comment

It had so many "firsts" for me as a game loving youngster.

Enemies that don't kill you on collision, stealing enemy vehicles, the 'flapping' to slow descents, hidden warps (granted there were other games before this that had them, but I was young and naive ).

My recent re-playing of it has reminded me of just how tricky it is and how chaotic it can get.

Comment

The original NZS and the megadrive remix were just so perfect in every way as platformers go. Real classics. It was just such a 'just another go' game. Slower in pace than other platform games like Mario but just as much fun. Warps, secrets, flying machines, real tactics on each boss not just mindless blasting.

I have great memories of this game, I hope what Strider says is correct, if they stuff up the DS version I will cry - I have been waiting for a handheld version of this for ages, can't believe it didn't make it to the GBA!

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
            Oh and don't worry about the DS version, it's a hell of a lot better than Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands.
            You've played it already? Goddamn you Strider! You're torturing me with this info.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron
              You've played it already? Goddamn you Strider! You're torturing me with this info.
              Yeah c'mon Darran, tell us the secrets!! I can already guess the whale is defeated with some touch-related hi-jinks, look at the second screen, not just a map this time is it?

I will say this is one game that will benefit from having the map on the bottom screen, it was hard to read on the original as it overlaid the colourful game screen - the map of course was much needed to make sure you were on-track to finding the next kiwi

Comment

Sorry guys, but I'm sworn to secracy, it's all in the next issue of Retro Gamer though

Comment

Originally posted by Strider
                  Sorry guys, but I'm sworn to secracy, it's all in the next issue of Retro Gamer though
                  So you'll tell us as soon as the first subs go out then?

Comment

Superb game. Untill the recent compilations, my only experience of TNZS was the Amiga version and it was one of my favourite games. I've no idea what it feels like now, but it seemed like an excellent conversion 15+ years ago.

TAITO really could do no wrong in the late '80s, especially with their platformers.

Is the Mega Drive version any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                      Is the Mega Drive version any good?
                      The megadrive version seems to have been based on a little known sequel (or clone even!) to the original coin-op New Zealand Story Extra, as I remember the game was very good, it felt close to the original but levels had a different layout - for someone such as myself who was quite familar with the original this made things a little confusing but livened the game up for me a bit - check it out, you won't be dissapointed

As Strider is keeping his lips sealed on the TNZS Revo's development I shall post this which spoils it all for everyone!:

Looks like there are loads of new features, which may or may not spoil the original classic gameplay - hopefully they will add to it rather than spoiling it, but we'll see - there are some touch screen shenanigans but with a bit of luck these will not be too annoying - what is everyone's thoughts?
                      Last edited by AllYourBase; 21-07-2006, 12:51.

Comment

There are indeed at least 2 arcade revisions, and they're really different. There are some similarities between them in terms of level layouts, but the enemy placement and variety is vastly different.

Comment

After reading that first impressions I'm not sure what to make of it. Sounds like the writer didn't play it too much in the first place.
                          If you fall, you've got control over where you land, thanks to that new wing-flapping ability.
                          erm......

Not sure I like the sound of tiki having a sword or a car either, I hope it's done well and doesn't turn into Shadow the Kiwi.

Comment

yes I agree

Comment

Very true, young Tiki could always steer himself from danger when falling to some degree

The sword sounds ace, close distance attacking would rock! Also the car could be fun too, I am willing to wait and see. It's the touch screen stuff that scares me the most!!

Comment

Working...
                              X