New Star Trek Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Star Trek Movie

Okay a search revealed that there is in fact a Star Trek thread but it hasn't been touched since 2004. If this should have gone in there, I apologise.

Anyway...

Some things should be held sacred, off-limits. Classic Trek is one of those things. No matter how good this movie will be (and with Abrahms on board, I have no doubt that the first act will be excellent - he doesn't quite seem to have learned to follow a first act with a second and third yet), this just shouldn't happen. Ever.

Hmmm dubious, have any concrete details been released yet??

Awsome to see TNG back on BBC 2, even if I have seen them all multiple times

Comment

He is signed to do it, it's not concrete it'll be a "reboot" (The current "in" word) but he's going around saying he's a huge fan of the original series, and that poster seems to start pouring the concrete.

Comment

Is Abrams even confirmed as director yet? The most recent thing I read on the subject had Abrams finally confirming that he was indeed producing a new Star Trek film, and that he "might" direct.

Comment

"won't confirm that he'll direct the project."

Director or not, he's clearly well involved.

Comment

I really don't understand why they're going back to the original series for this new film. Are there any more stories that really have to be told there? The only thing I can think of is if they set it during Kirk's Starfleet Academy days is how he managed to become the only cadet to ever been the supposedly impossible Kobayashi Maru test.

I seriously think they should do a Deep Space Nine film. It was my favourite series (after the Dominion came along anyway), and the finale left the end open enough to continue the story. I'd love to see the aftermath of the Dominion War, with the rebuilding of Cardassia and the interaction between the Federation and the Dominion.

If they really must do another film then I would even settle for something completely new. New characters, new ship, new story. Something that could perhaps be the launch pad another series.

Comment

"The only thing I can think of is if they set it during Kirk's Starfleet Academy days is how he managed to become the only cadet to ever been the supposedly impossible Kobayashi Maru test."

I thought everyone knew he reprogrammed the simulator so that he could win.

Which really wouldn't make for a very interesting film.

Re the DS9 film, if they could redo the ending of DS9 so that it wasn't such a hashed rush job that ultimately left a bad taste in the mouth of what was a brilliant TV show then yep, I too would very much like a DS9 film.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackLodge
                I thought everyone knew he reprogrammed the simulator so that he could win.

Which really wouldn't make for a very interesting film.
                Aye, that's right. Forgot about that for a second.

And yes, it wouldn't be that interesting to watch for two hours or so.

Comment

The original rumours regarding a new Star Trek film and J.J. Abrams did indeed centre on it being a Starfleet Academy project. Abrams was quick to deny it, but at this point he was also denying having any involvement with the project whatsoever. This was all in the few days immediately around the release of M:I-3 so perhaps that was his motivation in keeping quiet. Nevertheless, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's where they're going with this project. If so, casting's gonna be a hoot!

Comment

So Scotty is to be played by Simon Pegg then...

Comment

0 rly?

Comment

Srsly!

Fucking Yippee, Harry Here!!! Ok - I'm in. Simon Pegg as Scotty is as wonderful as an Asian Girl Sandwich night. I'm fucking deliriously happy. This is the first piece of STAR TREK casting that JJ has done that has made me drool with...

Comment

IGN have been following this one for sometime now.
                          here's a link to their latest casting news.

It does look like it will be a Starfleet Academy setting and will probably be rubbish. I'm basing this on the fact the film-makers who are doing this re-boot effort will fail to treat Kirk, Spock et all with the reverance they deserve, which is considerable.

Witness the setting of Star Trek Enterprise in a pre-kirk era yet including a more advanced, nay 'modern', tech, totally ignoring the look and feel of ToS.

Bah.

Comment

Rubbish !!!! JJ does not do Rubbish !

Also Sulu gets the munchies

John Cho cast !!!!
                            Last edited by dvdmike; 12-10-2007, 11:12.

Comment

Star Trek 0: The Search for White Castle.

Comment

Working...
                              X