This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liverpool 2010/11 Season Thread

Seeing as we are storming the "What's your team?" thread, we should really have our own thread.

For starters, it is being reported that Pennant is signing for us in a ?6.2m deal (Beeb). I'm very pleased that we have someone for our weak right-midfield and that it is a quality player like Pennant who has played in the PL before.

I wonder now if this will force Seville's hand or if we will get a striker in soon.

Shaping up to hopefully be a good season for us (think I said the same last season, and the one before..), most bookies have us ahead of Man U & Arsenal in the title chase, just the small matter of Chelsea to overcome, feel we need a really good start to the season, in recent times we seem to spend the whole season playing catch-up.

Less than a month 'til the Premiership kicks off

First summer for a while with no Gerrard transfer talk, but there is still time I suppose.

Comment

We still need a 20 goal a season man up front, not sure if that player is Bellamy, but I'd love to be proved wrong!

Pennant will be a great signing (if it goes through). The last few seasons have seen all sorts of ****e down that flank, from Cisse out of position to that Nunez player that never did anything of note. I'm optimistic this season that we'll push Chelsea right to the wire, as long as they can manage to avoid the poor start they have made in the last few years.

Comment

Bellamy will score 20 goals a season - i even have a tenner on him winning the golden boot this year - and hopefully gerrard will have another high scoring season with robbie grabbing a hatful as well.

Pennant - i am in two minds about him. He is a good player, and he can cross the ball with the best of them (something we have been sorely missing for quite some time on the right side) and yet he's Rafa's 2nd choice (or even 3rd/4th) so it appears that there isn't much confidence in him. Gutted we have a good crosser coming in when Morientes has left though, he was desperately short of service last season.

Does picking up Pennant mean we have the money for another striker? 3 strikers is not enough in the amount of games we normally go through a season.

Comment

We definitely need another striker. I would say Kuyt, but I was very disappointed with him during the WC. We've only got Crouch, Bellamy and Fowler as proper striker with Kewell, Garcia, etc. able to play off a lone striker. Of those, if Crouch is injured/goes off-form, then we won't have a "big man up front" or someone to hold up the ball for Bellamy/Gerrard to run onto.

Comment

I saw Kuyt a few times during the world cup, and even had a conversation with my brother and some of his mates over who was the worst striker there. We decided on this guy.

When I heard Liverpool were interested my thoughts were along the lines of 'noooooooooo!' Still, a load of big name players didn't turn up in Germany.

Comment

LOL, first Bellamy now Pennant. All you need is Bowyer and you have the complete set of reprobates at your club.

If Pennant does sign, where will Stevie G play? Will he replace either Alonson or Sissoko in centre-mid? Should finish top 2 this season I reckon.

Comment

I think bellamy was a good buy but i don't fancy pennant at 6m. I think it's too much.

I'd liek to see another recognised central defender at the club. We are a bit short on cover at the back. We have plenty of full backs in but none ever stay more than a season and we are lucky that carragher and hyypia are seldom injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Jusatsushi
                  We still need a 20 goal a season man up front, not sure if that player is Bellamy, but I'd love to be proved wrong!
                  After reading Fowler's autobiography and looking through some of his goalscoring stats of his clubs I think he will get 20 goals for us this season, especially if he is paired with Bellamy up front. Looks at the goals he has scored during his career:

Years Club Apps (goals)
                  1992?2001 Liverpool 236 (120)
                  2001?2002 Leeds United 30 (14)
                  2002?2006 Manchester City 80 (20)
                  2006?present Liverpool 14 (5)

Most of his Liverpool goals came with McManaman providing the ammunition and hopefully with Pennant on the right and Gonzales on the left he should be able to get on the end of lots of goalscoring chances. And he will have the number 9 shirt again this season so it is all coming together

Comment

Now that I'd really love to see!

If he stays fit and Rafa plays him enough, he could do it.

Comment

Reliable sources say Rafa tried to sign Pennant last summer and in January of this year - both times Birmingham wanted ?8m+. Although since then Alves had clearly become no.1 choice, but ?12m is crazy money for a player who could take months and months to settle.

The right side isn't as much of an issue as it was 12 months ago though, Gerrard had his best season playing almost exclusively out there and only 3 players in the league put in more crosses than he did last season.

Up front has become more of an issue now.

Comment

Originally posted by tenrou
                        I'd liek to see another recognised central defender at the club. We are a bit short on cover at the back. We have plenty of full backs in but none ever stay more than a season and we are lucky that carragher and hyypia are seldom injured.
                        Bizarre.

There are 5 recognised central defenders in the senior squad Carra, Hyypia, Agger, Paletta and Traore. Plus Antwi, Roque and Hobbs in the reserves.

Comment

Pennant at Liverpool...hmm

Don't know what to make of that. Another Crim

Comment

Traore off to Charlton on loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Del Boy
                              Traore off to Charlton on loan.
                              Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Comment

Working...
                              X