Go! Go! Beckham ? Adventure On Soccer Island GBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go! Go! Beckham ? Adventure On Soccer Island GBA

Not sure if this should be in Retro or not ? as it?s not a new game, it didn?t seem to fit in First Play.

This is a cracking little platformer ? just ignore the Beckham bit in the title, as it?s irrelevant. You control a chap with a football & traverse various levels using the ball to knock out enemies, collect coins/fruit/eggs. The idea is simple ? score a goal (actually a floating ring) at the end of each level, having despatched the monsters along the way. Collect 100 coins in a level & you?re awarded the Golden Boots ? better control & harder shots.

The controls are great ? very responsive, & the ball goes where you want it too. I realise this idea has been done before (Soccer Kid etc) but Denki have really nailed the controls; within minutes you?re charging around levels booting the ball at nasties, doing header keepie-uppies & so on.

It looks lovely as well, although no prizes for guessing where the visual inspiration was taken from ? it?s colourful & cute & perfectly in keeping with the tone of the game.

A couple of criticisms ? it?s not the most difficult of games, & it can get a little ?samey? once you?re on top of all the moves. Also, if cute games aren?t your thing you?re liable to be sick all over your GBA, but c?est la vie.

It?s a fun game ? really enjoying it & am playing it with a big smile plastered across my face.

I've always wondered what this is like...might have to find a copy!

Comment

ive played this the naughty way cough: emu cough and have been looking for it since, where did you pick it up from as i've been looking for it for an age, decent gameboy advance games seem really hard to come by these days.

Comment

looks just like a newer cuter version of Marko's Magic Football on the MD which is just a remake of Soccer Kid from the Amiga and SFC.

Yakumo

Comment

I found a copy of it couple of years back in Manchester CEX, so picked it up then. And as said, it's not a bad little game really
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'm not sure how easy it is to find nowadays - I picked up a copy from GAME for ?8 a few years ago.

It looks like there are some copies in CEX:

List of shops with stock

Comment

I have this, picked it up cheap after reading the recomendation in Edge. The graphics have a good kind of Supermarioworld quality to them. Recomended to platform fans.

Comment

Denki are based near my uni in Dundee. One of my uni modules was a collaboration with them; we had to make a prototype game for the WWF. They make games for Sky TV mainly now, but they released another game called Denki Blocks on the GBA which was a great puzzler.

Comment

Ive only just start playing this while the game is beautiful and brings back memories of super mario world with its art style. The game suffers form the kirby trap It is just to easy your mind just switchs of after a few levels im up to the third world does anyone know if it gets harder. Also i can understand if the main game is easy but why make the 100% side of it as easy that could have been where the real game is like yoshi island.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    looks just like a newer cuter version of Marko's Magic Football on the MD which is just a remake of Soccer Kid from the Amiga and SFC.

Yakumo
                    [natural conclusion]Which is just a version of pong with a few more degress of freedom[/nc]

Comment

Working...
                    X