Road Rash series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Rash series

I did a serach but couldn't find a topic on this series.

I poured a frightening amount of time into the original Megadrive game back when it was released. I simply couldn't get enough of it. There was nothing like kicking an annoying opponent accross the road and into an oncoming car. I never played 2 or 3 but went straight to Road Rash on the 3DO which again captivated me, and was really impressive when it was first released, it was also the first CD based game I ever played. I never really played much of the other games in the series like the PS1 games or the N64 one.

I just fired up an emulator of Road Rash 1 after all these years and I'm glad that it still seems to have some of that old magic, great music too. RR 2 and 3 seem to bear little improvement, 2 is slightly cleaner looking but has some really grating music. 3 looks like a bit of a jagged mess. I suprised EA haven't ressurected this classic series on a current format as it really could be excellent with modern power thrown at it.

So, please share your thoughts on the series.

Funny enough,

Ive been playing Road Rash 3 on my sega megadrive everyday for the past couple of weeks. It's mental as you have numchucks, crowbars, chains, maise spray, oil squirt thing and even this Electric shocker thing. It took me ages on Level 5 on the kenya track must of got busted + wrecked dozens of times.

Road rash 2, always use to go round my mates house and play that game it was one of the most playable games ever.

Road rash 3 is the best out of the series you have to sit down and get into it to appreciate it's quality. It helps if you have the game in mint condition too as the 1st time i got it, it was tacky condition and game froze alot.

I always enjoyed winning, losing or getting busted and wrecked just to see what harsh comments the rashers had to put. P.E no.1, what a bitch.

as for Ressurections, ... I think there is a game on the PS2 and X-box simular to Road Rash called 'JACKED'. I personally haven't played the game but it doesn't look to shabby.

Comment

I thought the best inthe series was Part II, but that was mainly down to the hand animation onthe main character , which the 3DO version or Pt 3 lacked . Becasue it was all done by hand the programers could go nuts the patterns and you felt the impact and pain much more.

In saying that the 3D0 version did look somthing else @ the time . I fear to think how much time I put into the 1st game too .

Comment

Road Rash, words cannot really do this game justice.

I went back to Road Rash 2, a couple of months back. Even though the graphics were terrible, once i got in again, there was no stopping me.

Comment

Enjoyed the road rash games quite a bit

Always the sierra nevada music sticks in my mind too

Comment

Can't beat number 2 although the 3DO one was tops too. Was Skitchin done by the same team?, never got round to playing it.

Comment

Another vote for 2 being the best but unlike need for speed never bettering the 3do the rash on 3do was not as good as 2 on md imho

Comment

I think 2 played the best but 1 had the better music, fx and atmosphere. I liked 3 as well, though remember it being pretty easy and too similar to the previous 2 (didn't it experiment with digitised graphics a fair bit, iirc?) God knows what happened to the PS1/Saturn versions, which completely lost the feeling of weight, danger and momentum, and felt incredibly pedestrian as a result.

I remember the PS1 full-3D sequels being fairly decent, especially Jailbreak, but neither of them matched up to the 'feel' of the MD versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear
                  Can't beat number 2 although the 3DO one was tops too. Was Skitchin done by the same team?, never got round to playing it.
                  If i remember, yeah i think it was done by the same team. I suppose it was a kinda 1-off release, an improved version could of been made.

Skitchen is fun and all that, but it can take the biscuit as you have to keep buying gear as it detoriates and the race win money sux. You have to know how to do all the tricks to get decent bonus money really and try and stay on ur skates.

Comment

I tried out all three of the Megadrive games again today and I keep coming back to the first one. The music on the Pacific Coast track is enough to swing it for me, I'm that shallow. 2 looks nice and smooth and it's probably the better game if I can into it more, the music stinks though and really grates when played on emulator. I cannot see the appeal of number 3 at all, horrible looking digitized graphics and the animation is simply a mess.

I think I played Jailbreak very briefly a while back and it did look pretty decent although the combat seemed to be a bit messed up with it being unreasonably hard to knock your opponents off. I also owned the N64 one at some stage but got rid of it becasue it refused to work via a passport. I remember it being fun, gotta get my ass a US cart from somewhere.

Comment

The N64 one was a juddery bug-filled pile of awful. Presentation looked like they hadn't bothered to finish it, most obviously at the end of a race where everyone would have a big pile up when they come to a grinding halt after the finish line and it makes you think it's crashed. Used to hammer the first MD one, currently got the 2nd one but it doesn't fill me with the same love, I think I've moved on. Still alright though.

Comment

Yeah, top series - I think I can remember RR-2 was fantastic and the best on the Megadrive. My all time favourite was the 3DO version though, it blew me away when it came out. Never forget the Sound Garden soundtrack - Classic!

Comment

Used to love the first on the MD but after digging it out recently I just can't get into it again. Hasn't aged well for me.

Comment

Yer my 1st experience of road rash was on the 3do, loved it Damn you trip hawkins.

Comment

The saturn version is terrible....

PS1 version is great, bikes at the start is just too loud, .. gotta turn the vol down.

Road rash 3d was cool i enjoyed that, picked up jailbreak at a boot sale, not really my thing didn't get into that much.

Comment

Working...
                              X