GTA 2 PS1 two different covers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTA 2 PS1 two different covers ?

Whats the deal with these ? Why are there two gta2 covers ?
    anyone know why or which came first ?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help

This happened with the Dreamcast version too - one was UK, the other was European.

But they both have BBFC ratings...

Comment

Maybe the top one came first and they changed it because it could be easily mistaken for the original?

Comment

Thats what i thought they are both dated 1999 tho ...

Comment

I think I can sort this one out for you. The original release was the bottom one in your first pic - the one that just says GTa2. Sales of the sequel were disappointing apparently, at least compared to the original and the London add-on. Take2 obviously assumed that this was down the rather vague packaging, so stickers were issued that were stuck onto the cover saying "The sequel to Grand Theft Auto" or something along those lines.

I can only guess that this didn't have the desired effect, so the second cover was issued which was basically identical to the original game's cover. So I guess it was purely a branding exercise.

Due to the recent success of the GTA brand, people tend to forget that the sequel was something of a failure (sales-wize at least). Thank God for GTA3 then!

Comment

On a seperate note, what has happened to take 2 now?

Comment

Originally posted by GinolaBear
              I think I can sort this one out for you. The original release was the bottom one in your first pic - the one that just says GTa2. Sales of the sequel were disappointing apparently, at least compared to the original and the London add-on. Take2 obviously assumed that this was down the rather vague packaging, so stickers were issued that were stuck onto the cover saying "The sequel to Grand Theft Auto" or something along those lines.

I can only guess that this didn't have the desired effect, so the second cover was issued which was basically identical to the original game's cover. So I guess it was purely a branding exercise.

Due to the recent success of the GTA brand, people tend to forget that the sequel was something of a failure (sales-wize at least). Thank God for GTA3 then!
              This is exactly right, I worked for Take 2 in 1999 as a production co-ordinator and the problem was customers were looking to buy Grand Theft Autoo 2 and not some game called GTA2. Sticker and cover change resulted in an upturn in sales.

Comment

Says alot about the target audience of the game...

Comment

Says alot about the target audience of the game...
                  I was thinking the same thing!

Comment

Originally posted by 112

Still about. They've grown a fair bit over the last few years. They currently own the Rockstar, 2K Games, Joytech and GOD brands and still occasionally publish stuff under the Take Two brand. They're listed on Nasdaq in the US.

Comment

Prey and serious sam 2 were on their label

Comment

They're still going as far as I know and they still own Rockstar.

Comment

Working...
                        X