• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonic Xtreme

Just found some vids on YouTube I've never seen before

Sonic Xtreme Vid 1

Sonic Xtreme Vid 2

Looks genuine to me. Credited to Chris Senn, whom many will know was one of the main players in the team.

As interesting as it all it, it's laughable as Sega's challenge to Mario 64.

That's not Sonic Xtreme.

It's a homebrew PC remake.

Comment

I dunno mate, looks nothing like the PC remake of it I saw.

Not saying it's real, mind.

Comment

I've seen footage of the Saturn Sonic Xtreme on the ASSEMbler forums, it's absolutely nothing like that.

I'll see if I can dig it out.

Comment

Would be great if you could

It's worth remembering how many different builds there were mind. If the above is not genuine, and your likely right, it does't look too far off the mark of what it would have been like.

Comment

There's a few vids floating about. Those are legit though.

There's a crappy little alternative version that has sonic running over some hills. Looks pretty crappy but very different to those vids.

Lots of vids and info is you search.

Comment

Thems is legit like the man says.

Its an interesting one because of the internal saga (much like 32x through Saturn) that virtually killed Sega.

Those official vids might have made an ok game at the time if executed right, tho the run around one reeks of Nights if you get my drift.

Its a bit sick how in games Sega at times refrenced a possible "next gen" sonic.

Comment

Weren't they essentially making 2 games at once though, because no one had the balls to take the project by the er, balls, and start telling people do this, don't do that? It really was a sad state of affairs and seems to have led to NiGHTS, an even sadder state of affairs.

Comment

I still have 2 quicktime videos of the old Saturn version , and its looks nice enough but its just a tech demo when all is said and done, very little of any game there.
                  I know people love to blame Naka for this , but for me its STI and SOA that's to blame . Before any development should have started they should have a idea and basic layout of the game and stage ect, and the machine that was the main foucs . Not this making it up as we go along and moving from PC to 32X and then the Saturn.

It was a bloody mess and balls up from start to finish

Comment

From my understanding the lead programmer Chris Senn pretty much coded the whole game by himself and was under too much pressure to have the game released by Christmas 96. He had a breakdown about 3 months before release and the game was suspended. When Chris was fit and well enough to start coding again the Saturn's lifespan had pretty much dried up so he attempted to move the game onto PC, which is why those videos are running on windows. However once Sonic Adventure was underway no one at sega wanted to publish Sonic Xtreme anymore, and the whole project was scrapped.

It's a real shame

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

thought people might be intrested in that

Comment

Kind of glad it never got released, that looks a bit ****! Sega really should of done a 2D Sonic for the Saturn which it's best at.

Comment

Yeah, that Nights look-a-like has got no appeal whatsoever, but the other vids of Xtreme that are circulating the web (where the worlds themselves are 360) are a LOT smoother and run on a different engine. Looks a bit like a cross between Bug! and Monkey Ball.

I'd like to have that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post
                            That's not Sonic Xtreme.

It's a homebrew PC remake.
                            It's not I'm afraid, that's the real deal! The development of this game was fascinating, Sega were so ridiculously disorganized and the internal hissy-fits didn't help!

Comment

Yep, there are 3 Sonic Xtreme engines. The original Bug! Engine, NiGHTS engine and thefinal Fish Eye looking engine.

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                              X