Best DC Beat-Em-Up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best DC Beat-Em-Up ?

Ok thought it was time for another DC game topic. Ive been playing alot of MvC2 and SF3 3rd strike. I dont really know much about beat-em-ups but these are the two mot people seem to talk about so they are the ones i got.

While MvC2 has a great list of characters i just cant seem to get into the gameplay mechanics, maybe its just me or maybe its because im so used to SF. Which takes me to SF3 which plays fantastic and has the best animation ive ever seen in a 2D beat-em-up, but im i the only one that hates the majority of the new characters in it.

So anyway whats everyone elses take on these two games and what other games do people rate or think are better. Ive heard good things about Rival Schools but ive not managed to lay my hands on it yet.

Several other good fighting games for the DC

Last blade 2

Jo jos bizarre adventures (which i admit i did not like to begin with until i saw some match vids)

Rival schools is pretty good worth getting (but not at a high price)

Marvel vs capcom 2 i really did like but i kind off felt it lacked the uniqueness that previous capcom fighting games had (perhaps it was because there were many characters that were just really sprite ripped from previous games) still the new characters i thought were quite good

Streetfighter 3 third impact i liked but i have to agree many characters i just find no fun to play as (though there not bad characters as you can see from match vids they can kick butt)

Comment

I absolutely love capcom vs snk 2, though I don't think it's particularly highly thought of.
      There's also Guilty Gear X, and obviously DOA2 and Soul Calibur, and Powerstone too.
      I'm not a big fan of rival schools personally

Comment

Probably the most time I've ever spent on a DC fighter goes to KoF'99. The summer of 2000 (pre Perfect Dark + 3rdS) was spent playing that bast. Good times. Initially I hated it for not being the 'same'. Although I now class it as the 'techno' of KoF. It has quite a few features over the Neo original such as lush backdrops and an excellent score carried across from the CD version.

Too bad all of it's successors were ****e.

Ever tried Jojo?

**** - the memories this thread has spawned is not helping me. I'm about to sell my entire DC and Neo collection as it's been a while since I took anything for a spin, plus I'm moving. I know these memories are going to make me recollect everything one day though.
        Last edited by dataDave; 29-08-2006, 11:19.

Comment

As far as 2D fighting games go on the DC, it really doesn't get much better than SF3 Third Strike in my opinion.

SSF2X on the DC is a fantastic game (some consider it to be even better than SF3 Third Strike!), the best home conversion of the arcade classic in my opinion. You should definetly check it out although is has the dreaded RGB bug. But that's where the patch comes in handy...
          Last edited by Kongster; 29-08-2006, 13:56.

Comment

Oh i did enjoy tech romancer but i will say its not to everyones taste

Comment

eastyy - any links to the Jojo vids you mention? I've had the game for a while and I reckon it's quirkyness could ease me into the beat em up genre (along with Waku Waku 7) but I've really no idea where to start in terms of learning how to play it...

Comment

Garou is good, as is Darkstalkers.

Comment

Super Street Fighter 2 X , all of the King Of Fighters , all three Capcom vs games, Last Blade 2 and Project Justice are all excellent. i would go with the PS2 versions of Garou and Zero 3 (unless you have MVS/AES or Saturn, respectively)

Comment

Super Street Fighter 2 X , all of the King Of Fighters , all three Capcom vs games, Last Blade 2 and Project Justice are all excellent. i would go with the PS2 versions of Garou and Zero 3 (unless you have MVS/AES or Saturn, respectively)

Comment

jojo matches

Comment

Cheers dude! I reckon a 'support group' thread for people wanting to learn how to play SF etc would be great. Once I get a bit of time I might see if anyone fancies the idea...

Comment

Keep a look out for several ridiculous combos then them vids

Comment

I played a ton of VF3tb back in the day. It's probably aged badly though.

That aside the obvious top picks would be Soul Calibur (still stunningly beautiful), Capcom vs SNK 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3rd Strike.

And am I the only one who secretely enjoyed Fighting Vipers 2?

Oh and Last Blade doesn't work on VGA, right? I was an S-Video man at the time but am VGA now and haven't tried it since.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
                              And am I the only one who secretely enjoyed Fighting Vipers 2?
                              I enjoyed it, too but not as much as the first one.

Comment

Working...
                              X