Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comic Book/Superhero Games

Hey guys.

I'm doing a new article this week and once again need a memory refresh and some info on some of the best and worst comic and superhero games.

Keep it retro and give your opinions on some. I have played the bulk of them but my memory's a bit hazy at this time in the morning. 32 bit and previous please. including arcade and PC from those years.

I'm basically trying tio complete this information.

The Punisher - The Punisher (PC) The Punisher (Arcade) The Punisher (Megadrive/Genesis)

Batman - Batman the Caped Crusader/Batman the Movie (C64) Batman/Batman Returns (Megadrive) Batman Returns (Mega CD)

Captain America and the Avengers (Megadrive)

Updates...

Superman - Superman Man of Steel/Death and Return of Superman (Megadrive) Superman 64 (N64)

If you see what I mean I'm trying to get a good idea of just how many games each big comic character has out there on the numerous systems and how good they are. If you've ever played one of these games or played any others with comic characters in then opinions would be lovely!
    Last edited by Rankles; 03-09-2006, 09:56.

Superman 64 - Where do I start with what was wrong with this? Awful 3D engine, draw distance was appalling, terrible controls - superman moved like a flying turd! I remember most of the game involved flying through rings in a green fog! What a waste of a license! This image sums it all up:

Bland, boring, bland!

I have fond memories of Batman on the megadrive, that was a great platformer. The sunsoft version I believe was the best

Comment

Oh man, that looks pretty poor. Didn't realise there was a Superman on the 64. That reminds me of the two Megadrive Superman games. Man of Steel was pretty bad, whereas Death and Return is well... it's ok I guess. He's Superman though, he sure dies easily.

Comment

The Amazing Spider-Man on GB, I loved this game but it was tough cookie if I remember.

and how could I forget the dissapointment that was Spider-Man & X-Men: Arcades Revenge, I was gutted after saving my paper round money up to buy this, and when I got home and fired this up I couldn't believe how crap it was

The Amazing Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin [MD] I thoroughly enjoyed that game!...

"bit of a spidey fan here"
        Last edited by chojin; 03-09-2006, 10:07.

Comment

MD Spiderman was just so good, I played it to death. I loved having to take photos of the enemies, and the web-slinging and swinging through the sewers etc. was exceptional.

Comment

men
            Judge Dredd appeared in a solid run-n-gun title on the SNES. It was released to tie in with the movie but they used the comic look and enemies in the game including the Dark Judges, the Angel family, and the graffitti rebels Chopper and Phantom. It was pretty good fun IMHO.

X-Men 2 on the MD was good too. The sprites were really big and chunky and captured the day's art style perfectly. The gameplay was the usual sidescrolling affair but it was quite hard if a I remember rightly.
            Last edited by MattyD; 03-09-2006, 12:03.

Comment

Captain Commando?

Superman 64 was pretty amazing. "Solve my maze, Superman!" which wasn't really a maze at all, just a line of rings in the aforementioned pea souper. That rescuing the car from the something level was arse too, you just fly in a straight line and hope the collision detection works. Utter tripe. I think N64 magazine gave it 7% or some such.

Comment

There's a good wiki page for how many games are based on licensed properties here and a good list of super heroe games + more besides:-

Click here

There's a few missing but its pretty extensive, and it may be pretty good for your article for reference purposes.
                Last edited by AdamJW; 03-09-2006, 12:57.

Comment

That's awesome, thanks! Clears up the research part, opinions welcomed.

Comment

there's also a link to a list of games based on marvel comics. That may be more detailed.

Comment

There was a megadrive game called Comix Zone which I remember being good. Not based on any particular superhero, just a brawler in the style of a comic book. Anyone remember this one?

Comment

I remember a superman arcade game

Of course there are the spectrum batman games to

Comment

Xmen Mutant Apocalypse on the Snes is pretty good, done by Capcom no less.
                          As is well known, most super hero based games are a load of crap, like the afformentioned Superman 64 which is heralded as the Ed Wood of videogames. Arcades Revenge is dreadful too. The two spiderman beat 'em ups on the Snes are pretty decent imo. The Punisher is very playable and looks really nice but the Megadrive version lost alot of the lustre from the Arcade version. The Superman Arcade game was done by Taito and I like it alot, repetitive but good meaty action, shame it wasn't on either of the Taito Legends.
                          Last edited by moonwhistle; 04-09-2006, 16:25.

Comment

wildcats?

Spawn on snes and ps1

I don't think Youngblood was ever released.

Comment

Working...
                            X