Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entertainment Vs Challenging

I quote Sir Jibber X:
    Does this bring up the point that people don't want to be challenged, they want to be entertained?
    Personally, I would rather be entertained. I enjoy the entertainment of an easy game more than the satisfaction of completing a challenging one, but others are sure to think different.

Discuss - A challenging game or an entertaining one?
    Is dumning down such a bad thing?

I want to be entertained more than challenged although you do get alot of satisfaction from completing a hard task on a game.
    I do think a game has to have the wright amount of challenge though because if you can just walk through the game without a problem then its just plain boring!

Comment

I believe that the most skilfully made titles offer entertainment from the outset, and through that entertainment you are drawn deeper into the game and want to experience more advanced facets of it - hence entertainment also becomes challenge.

I want to be entertained and challenged, as I don't believe we should see the two as polar opposites.

Comment

I think they often go hand in hand. Take Super Monkey Ball for example. It would be an enjoyable game if it was easy, but the challenge of the later levels increases it's enjoyability as there is great satisfaction in being able to do them.

If a game offers no challenge then I dont believe it can be enjoyable. What's the fun in being able to do a game without any opposition?

Comment

I prefer the entertainment value. I really like some easy games - so long as they're not over too quickly. Even if I finally beat a really hard game, at the end I just think, "OK good, but it wasn't worth THAT".

Comment

They go hand in hand!

The enjoyment I get out of games is to do with the challenge. Training up and playing against human opponents is when I'm in my element - dodging through screenfull of laser death is when I'm truly alive ^^

The thing that keeps me playing is when I see my improvement - I like to work at my gaming, not just sit there and go from A to B as is in most "accepted" genres now.

When you get totally sick - your skill is other people's entertainment, ever think about that? (It's wicked having a massive crowd of girls watching you play Pump It Up for example )

Sure, I have no problem with dumbing down for people that cant be bothered to learn any new skills - just as long as games like EVO, XX, Soul Calibur and Psyvariar keep coming - I'm cool.

Comment

I`m with Saurian. The pleasure from a game derives from the fact that you can see yourself making progress and getting better. Easy games that offer no challenge are simply not entertaining.

Its not only the challenge the game offers, but the scope of depth that a game system offers you.

Take for example, Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. That game offers the sickest and deepest system ever seen in any videogame, and you know that while training up, you will never reach of the limit of what the game offers. Training up, and being able to take on players that whipped your arse not so long ago is one of the most satisfying aspects of gaming for me. Learning by challenging others and improving is all what competitive gaming is all about for me.

Comment

I'm the type of person who enjoys the challenge. It's nice that there are games like Animal Crossing and Luigi Mansion which buck the trend, but generally if a game isn't challenging me, I'm not enjoying it. It's not just about progress - SFA is easy to progress in, but with only oken efforts to earn that progression, it's all fairly phoney.

Something like the Phazon Pirate in MP though, whom I took down at the umpteeenth attempt with my final rocket blast while three ice pirates homed in on me - it wasn't luck. I had learned the hard way, all my graft had paid off, and I took a skillful gamble, an the game rewarded me. All the frustration and swearing was forgotten

Comment

For me the problem comes in when a game tries to fake length of play by making it hard as ****. Saying it took 20 hours or 40 hours to beat a game doesn't mean much if you spent the lion's share of that time playing the same levels over and over again.

My favorite games are the ones that gradually ramp up the difficulty, teaching you little things along the way that comes together toward the end. For example, in Splinter Cell you learn how to control the character and use his equipment over the course of many levels. If they had given you everything all at once, you would have been overwhelmed, unsure of what to use and when. But they give you what you what you need when you need it. I liked that. But, on the downside, this game was also incredibly hard, with some sections taking repeated tries (sometimes a dozen times) to get right. If it hadn't been so fun and thrilling, I might not have persevered.

Anyway, in the end I'll take entertaining over challenging if I have to chose one or the other, but I'd much prefer one that has equal amounts of both, with each complimenting the other.

Comment

Games need to engage me and make me feel like I'm learning something, or course it should be fun at the same time. Mostly I like to play arcade type games [Mr. Driller, Crazy Taxi, Monkey Ball, Shooters etc. etc.] all of which require time and effort to master. About the only type of game where I get frustrated at the difficulty is fighting games where the last couple of matches [solo play] seem insanely hard. That's just because I'm weak at those types of game though. " player is where it's at anyway [and where I get my butt kicked even more often ^_^]

There's definitely a place for games like Animal Crossing which are all about absentminded frolicking fun Digital morphine.

Comment

Working...
                    X