Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can this Megadrive II be modded? Strange PCB not seen before.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can this Megadrive II be modded? Strange PCB not seen before.

Was modding a few Megadrive II's when I noticed this one I have, odd serial number, made in (I think) the Philippines.

Its definitly official Sega and not some knock off as all the quality is there. It seems to be a VA4 board, date on the board is 1996, is this possibly the last revision of the Megadrive II produced before production stopped?

Similar I think to the "1 Chip SNES" which was recently found out to be moddable, it seems this is an odd thing indeed. The chip that the language switch normally attaches to , is in a difference location, not only that, its a different chip, the number on it is "315-5960"

Been looking on the net, and cant find any info. Has anyone here modded one of these / knows how to?

Here are some pics of the board for the curious-minded:

Cheers, James.

Interesting find. Judging from pics on the net it seems to use the same chip as the Genesis 3, but the board layout is different. I've no idea how to mod it, the jumpers are not arranged in the same way as the Gen3.

Comment

Yes, it is rather queer indeed..

I did find looking on the net that it is the same chip as the Genesis 3..

I'll have to have a closer butchers at it some time..

BTW is it just me, or is gamesx.com completely offline? (except for on archive.org) ?

Comment

I', sure mine is the same as that - and a piece of piss to mod. You just need to remove two jumpers and switch these with two non jumpered jumpers for both spee dand region modding. I can open mine up if you want....

Comment

Originally posted by bangaio
          I', sure mine is the same as that - and a piece of piss to mod. You just need to remove two jumpers and switch these with two non jumpered jumpers for both spee dand region modding. I can open mine up if you want....
          Yeah mate if you could do that, would be really cool, or if you know which jumpers ?

Nice 8)

Comment

Gill: Resurrection!

The information you are looking for is here.

I guess you just connect one side of the jumper to the middle connection on your switch, the other side to either the left or right of the switch, and leave the third switch connection unconnected. Then do the same for the other jumper/switch.

Comment

Nice, but maybe four years too late.

Comment

Working...
              X