(dumb?) newbie help required for Live.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(dumb?) newbie help required for Live.

I'm sure there was a topic here that used to be sticky about this sort of thing, but its sticky no more and I can't find what I'm after with either the local search or with Google, so please go easy on me.

I've got an unmodded PAL Xbox, a PC running XP Home, a 4 port 10Mbit hub and an indication from BT that I should be able to get ASDL at home, though I'm only on dialup currently. My ISP is Clara, and I've no intention of changing, so it'll be them doing the broadband supply, if that matters (in case it does, they do dynamic IPs rather than static ones, unless you fork over extra).

Basically, what I need to know is what I need to get. The obvious expenditures are these:

Upgrade of phone to BB
    Microfilter
    More expensive ISP charges
    Live kit
    ASDL modem of some kind

Am I missing anything else? Is it worth building a seperate firewall? Does anyone have a particular modem to recommend?

I could have sworn I'd seen a reasonably priced router with built in firewall, but I can't find it now.

if you don't wanna buy a router you can use ICS via XP, the site below tells ya exactly how to do it and its a piece os piss tbh....

<<<CLICKY>>>

If you do wanna go the router way then ebuyer do a good cheap adsl/modem router combo, and it's usually on offer too, keep meaning to buy this myself, can't remember the bloody name of the thing now tho.....i know its ebuyers own "brand" do a search or take a look on adsl-guides forums and do a search for ebuyer in the appropriate forum....

YW

Comment

Ta muchly for that - it looks easier than I thought. I'll definitely be getting ZoneAlarm rather than trusting my PC to the built-in firewall, though. I'm not that dumb.

Comment

Working...
      X