Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning Japanese, how do you guys do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning Japanese, how do you guys do it?

I've been trying to teach myself Japanese for just over a year now, but the amount I know is pretty pathetic. I think this is mainly because I don't know how to study effectively. Do I just write everything out from a book, then read over and over it till it sinks in?

I also don't know what to learn first, vocab, kanji or grammar? I know most of the kana tables, about 25 basic kanji, a couple of easy sentences, and a tiny tiny bit of grammar.

I'm hoping to go to Japan for a gap year in a couple of years (still just a pipedream atm), and I'd really like to be competent in the language, but I have no idea how to go about learning.

Thanks guys.

Tough question really as everyone has their own methods. First off it helps if you live in the country where the language is spoken , that way you'll pick it up the quickest no doubt. Now I study 30 minutes text/books in the morning, the odd few minutes checking up kanji through the day and speaking all day to relatives and friends or at shopping to staff etc. When I first started out it was a bum and I felt I wasn't getting anywhere, but just by studying you are progessing even if you feel you're not, so don't stress over it. Definitely find a couple of good text books such as Genki range 1 and 2 are excellent I found. Stay away from Kanji at the moment, learn some verbs and nouns, then learn to read Hiragana and Katakana, from there you'll begin to find your own learning style. As I said, even if you feel you're not progressing, just by studying you ARE learning....No worries.

Ganbare!

Comment

I've just started a course in Japanese at UWE (a uni near here). While it's a uni course, anyone from the general public can take part.

3 hours a week, potentially a 3 year thing as there are 3 'levels'. Real relaxed, fun environment (smaller classes if you take the afternoon course too - most people take the evening course), and it's suprising how much you take in when your enjoying it.

Lots of potential to move on from there too, such as the JET scheme.

The Genki 1 book is essential in my opinion. Focus on Hiragana, nothing else until you've mastered that. Move on from romaji as soon as you can, as it's a really retarded way of trying to emulate proper Japanese.
      Last edited by sj33; 20-10-2006, 13:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
        3 hours a week, potentially a 3 year thing as there are 3 'levels'. Real relaxed, fun environment (smaller classesif you take the afternoon course too - most people take the evening course), and it's suprisomg how much you take in when your enjoying it.

Yeah and that too, enjoy it and you'll buzz through it

Comment

One of the best ways to learn a language is to combine it with your interests as studying alone is often not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanuts
            One of the best ways to learn a language is to combine it with your interests as studying alone is often not enough.
            That's where games come in. How I got into was this way

Comment

Aye, I got into it from games and music (VK, oh the shame ;p).

I'll look out for that Genki book, also, what Grammar book(s) should i go for?

Comment

Genki starts you off on the right foot and combines everything. Depending on your level, stick with Genki at first, then try the second book if you feel confident.

Comment

Hmm, it seems to be mainly for class work. I'd rather learn on my own (for now anyway). It's a bit pricey too, but I'm not so concerned about that.

Comment

Just get the genki book mate. Covers any grammar you might need. And pick up a cheap copy of japanese for busy people from ebay.

EDIT - and go to a class with a decent sensei.

Comment

Yeah the Genki book is great for single learners too. I never used it in a group anyway.

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure about classes. I find them a bit demeaning tbh. Although I may have to find out about this Uni course. Got any info Jakey?

Comment

Hmm, I like the idea of them being suitable for slower learners. Seem a bit intensive though.

Comment

Originally posted by Distant Cousin
                            Hmm, I'm not sure about classes. I find them a bit demeaning tbh. Although I may have to find out about this Uni course. Got any info Jakey?
                            A lot of universties run an Institution-Wide Language Programme, which is basically run purely by the university. Check out your local uni's and see if they offer such a scheme.
                            I'm doing it as a standalone course, though a lot of people do it alongside dedcated courses.
                            My uni has Level 1, 1+ and 2. Level 1 assumes no prior knowledge, but after a mere 3 classes I'm able to understand much of the lines I hear in animes. Really good fun if your in a smaller group too, as it's much more involved, so if they offer multiple times, find out which is the smallest (usually the afternoon, as students have their dedicated courses then).

And get the book mate, I read it regularly, 2-3 times a day, well easy to understand and moving at a good pace.

We have it at our uni for ?38.99 if you need it (I'm not in till Monday mind).

Don't be put off by the fact it's quite intensive - you soak it like a sponge.

Comment

Working...
                            X