Q about SNES 50/60hz mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q about SNES 50/60hz mod

I've only just got into the habit of modding my consoles, i've got a PAL snes. Before I open it up, does anyone know why some of them can't be modded to 60hz, and how to tell if my console can be modded or not?

I've googled for the answer but can only find rough clues like consoles made after '95 can't be modded?

If I take it apart will it look totally different if it can't be modded?

I don't want to take the soldering iron to it until I'm 100% sure it will work once done!

Ta
    Pete

Hmmm..I've never heard you can't 60hz a PAL SNES. No matter when it was released. Have you looked on http://www.gamesx.com?

Give me a shout if you need any help. And I'll ask Saurian

Comment

I could have sworn i read that there is a newer model snes (with different chips i assume), that can't be modded? Oh well, I done mine earlier and it's working

Ta
      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by hellbelly
        I could have sworn i read that there is a newer model snes (with different chips i assume), that can't be modded? Oh well, I done mine earlier and it's working
        Yeah, that's right - as you know for the 50/60Hz mod, there are two similar chips on the board which need to have a pin lifted from each one.

On newer versions of the board (newer PAL SNESes, and all SNES JR. machines) these two chips have been replaced with a single 160-pin chip - AFAIK there are no methods for modding this for 50/60Hz.

Comment

Yod@! Hi mucker
          Glad you're over here now, to pick up the pieces of my ignorance
          That later model must be preeeety late though, as I've never met anyone (either in real life or online) who has one!

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
            That later model must be preeeety late though, as I've never met anyone (either in real life or online) who has one!
            Hiya
            One of my own PAL SNESes was an unmoddable one (I bought it brand new in about 1996, it was the Mario All-Star pack one) - but all the older ones I've seen so far are OK.

Naturally, I tried modding my "unmoddable" SNES anyway, but it didn't work :P
            (pin 111 of the large square 160-pin chip if anyone's curious!)

Comment

Working...
            X