GBA player boot disk, yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GBA player boot disk, yes or no?

When the player was announced they said that the boot disk that comes with it would mean that you had to buy the same region player as your GC, but I have heard reports that there wont be a disk at all anymore.

Anyone got any news on if there is a disk or not, and if you have to have the same region player and GC?

Thanks in advance.

Yes there is a boot disk. You'll need a modded cube or possibly freeloader, don't know if freeloader works with it at this stage though. Head here for confirmation and some impressions.

There are rumours going around that the US GBA player won't have a boot disk, however thake that with a pinch of salt.

Comment

I've seen one in action... it uses a boot disk.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I have a Japanese GC anyway, but I wanted to know if I could wait for the US or even PAL release of the player to save a bit of cash.

Bit of a pain that I'll have to load the boot disk before playing on it each time though.

Comment

Yeah I know, bit of a pain to do but so be it. Anyone know exactly how the MP side of it works. For example, if I wanted to play a 2p game of Bubble Bobble, would I need a second cartridge in the GBA connected to the 2p slot?

I was just going to order one so I could finally play some MP Mario Kart but having to get another cartridge would be a huge turn off.

Comment

Lik sang have tested it with a PAL GC and freeloader and it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl
              Yeah I know, bit of a pain to do but so be it. Anyone know exactly how the MP side of it works. For example, if I wanted to play a 2p game of Bubble Bobble, would I need a second cartridge in the GBA connected to the 2p slot?

I was just going to order one so I could finally play some MP Mario Kart but having to get another cartridge would be a huge turn off.
              I think it depends on whether or not the game requires 2 carts for multiplayer.

And, IIRC, to do multiplayer you have to have 2 Gamecubes, 2 GameBoy Players and 2 TVs. I might be wrong, though.

--Ed

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                Lik sang have tested it with a PAL GC and freeloader and it works fine.
                Bugger that. One boot disc may be a bit of a pain, but having to boot two discs is taking the pish! Guess I'll just have to import then.

Comment

I pre-ordered the GBA player from Lik-Sang, although my order still states 'Preparing order' - anyone else got this? My machine is a switched Japanese machine, so I won't have the problem with freeloader boot disc. I agree that it sucks a little that the boot disc is necessary, but I guess I'll cope. The main reason I am importing the Japanese one is so that it matches my Spice cube.

The rumours of the US version not using a boot disc sound very unlikely, especially given the similarities between US and JPN cubes and the relatively close release dates.

I suppose it's possible that they could improve the GBA player boot disc at a later date to allow for things like single cart split screen gaming, or something, but I don't see it happening

Oh, with regards to the Bubble Bobble 2 player thing... yes you will need a GBA plugged into player 2 port, and (ideally) another copy of the game. Bubble Bobble's single cart link up sucks (10 levels on a loop). However, because the game uses the same screen for both players (if you zoom out to display full screen), you can share the main screen.

That said, it's a pretty fux0red version of Bubble Bobble that way. I'd prefer to play the PSX/Saturn version.

Comment

I am really looking forward to this bit of kit. I can't justify getting a GBA as I have no need or time to game on the move. I like to sit in comfort with a big screen for viewing.

But there are some GBA games I would love to play such as Advance Wars (only played briefly on emulation) both Castlevania & Sonic games as well as Metroid fusion. The missues won't even notice as it will sit on the bottom of the machine and I shall explain the cartridge is a memory card

Comment

Working...
                    X