Kung Fu Chaos - a nice little surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kung Fu Chaos - a nice little surprise

Picked this up today, and thought Id give a few early impressions.

The thing to hit you about this immediatly is the atmosphere. From the Bruce Lee movie-inspired opening theme, the crazy Woooo-KAAA!! sound effects and grainy picture, you know its pure Kung Fu movieness with a huge smattering of cheese thrown in for the measure too.

The game has a variety of modes, the main one is Ninja Challenge whereby you get to tackle a variety of weird and wonderful levels, the idea is that you fight on a Kung Fu movie-set and have to make as much damage and trouble as possible in order for the director to get the best cut. The charecters are well animated (Monkey rocks!) and the fighting engine is deceptively deep considering. Think Powerstone, and you get an idea of the gameplay, yet with more depth. The levels are multilayered, fight on a roof and inevitably it will collapse, and all are really well drawn and have a lot of charm. And thats what this game is to me, so full of charm. I must admit I wasnt expecting much at all, but Im really enjoying this so far as its just good fun. I havent tried the multitude of other modes as yet.

As Shao Ting would say - "You are one angry Ninja!"

:: faints in shock and falls to the floor ::

Comment

I can't believe you've actually got me interested in this game. How dare you.

Comment

Yeah i picked this up as well, can't really expand on what Marcus has said as i've only played it for about an hour but it's fun.

Monkeh rules!

Comment

Sounds like a great multiplayer game could be hiding in there, shame I don't have any friends.

Thanks for the impressions.

Comment

Interesting. I watched a trailer a while back, which initially did look funny the way it parodies old martial-arts flick. As soon as I saw the game though, I thought it looked a bit pants. Are we going to get a full review of this one (I'm now intrigued)?

Comment

Yup, it shall be reviewed. Can't remember who is doing it though

Comment

That would be me

Comment

The game is excellent IMO, most of the reviews it recieved are very unfair.

In singleplayer it does get pretty lame after a while but thats expected of a party game, multiplayer is where its at and it never get boring.

Best part, the replays... stunning.

Comment

hrm. Powerstone-esque gameplay, comedy ninjas, and a monkey?

might have to have to give this one a look...

Comment

The video on the Halo disc struck me as it being along the lines of Smash Brothers and Powerstone. Is this the right impression, or is there more to it than that?

Comment

Thats a fair estimation to make Id say.

Comment

I've put a fair few hours into this game, and agree it's pretty damn good, though I think the actual gameplay lacks a lot in terms of variety compared to Power Stone 2.

Sure the arenas, and tasks you perform in them vary nicely, but combat feels too melee-like, unlike in Power Stone where power up strategies could vary so much. In the end players end up wading in, in a pile of comedy kung fu bodies.

Comment

Marcus

I was not considering this, but it does sound like a bit of a hoot .

The replays sound cool, does it show the whole level or just highlights as such?

Trok

Comment

Originally posted by Trok REAPER
                              Marcus

I was not considering this, but it does sound like a bit of a hoot .

The replays sound cool, does it show the whole level or just highlights as such?

Trok
                              It shows the whole level, and certain techniques are highlighted with various still images. Also, the commentator natters away in the background, with often hilarious gibberish.

Comment

Working...
                              X