Toys for boys - or "Show us your Collectables"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toys for boys - or "Show us your Collectables"

For the past couple of months I have been stocking up on toys for my new place - well, a friend called them toys when I personally call them the coolest things on the ****ing planet which are going to look sweet - star wars clone wars maquettes, canvas zelda prints, classical movie posters, you get the drift ...

As you may have guessed, the friend in question is of the fairer sex (who may post in this thread with her disdain of my decor) so the question is - just why do we (as in guys) find **** like this just so damn tempting?

ps looking for more toys so please post away with anything you can think of

just why do we (as in guys) find **** like this just so damn tempting?
    I don't at all, to be honest. My place is totally devoid of posters, action figures, etc. They just don't appeal to me at all; even as a kid I wasn't really into posters. I never really saw the point.

Comment

Same,look naff. IMO

Comment

expensive a/v equipment \\o

Comment

Detesting posters recently, especially dickhead student ones. I don't mind one or two on a wall, but leaning more towards getting prints for the new place (decent canvas ones), one per wall max.

I like small plush things on a few shelves, but action figures are plain cringeworthy and yawnsome.

Cool stuff I do have: my TV, my monitor/PC, consoles, games etc, plus my red Fatboy, Vaio Vista laptop, Black MacBook, iPods, cameras, camcorders etc.

Comment

I'm with you John but what the hell is a maquette?????

Pictures please!
            Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

its not just action figures/posters etc which get categorised in this though, its anything which you might purchase which your wife/girlfriend/female friends would just classify as 'toys'

for example, mate of mine bought a new home cinema amp and speakers -got them home and wired up (before his wife got home from work). She hit the roof about them, saying he was buying more toys that he didn't need (he didn't have a speaker setup previously to this, and it wasn't as if the wolf was at the door in terms of their finances so he wasn't spending money they couldn't afford) - now this is something that he felt he needed, and which he wanted ... though admittedly he got one of the more expensive shiny setups in the shop ...

ps the maquettes in question (which started all of this )

Comment

ok....the "fairer sex" friend (thanx for that john) really dont understand the whole guys obsessed wit toys thing....kinda think its a waste of money...just to have sum plastic figure on some shelf. kinda like the 40 yr old virgin type thing. no offence ppl. see the interest in some toys...just not these!

Comment

I'm loving those (especially the Leia one) where from and how much?
                  Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

it's not just 'some plastic figure on a shelf' though - its contemporary art work which is going to offset the minimalist design that I have in mind ... it adds colour and just looks different

tbh I can't see the difference between having artwork/figures/plushes etc from subject matter which is relevant to me/our generation and the brasses and toby jugs my gran had in her house when I was younger ... at the end of the day its all subjective to the individual

also, its wrong of me to say this is only women claiming they are toys, for example I recently bought a new remote which lets me control all of my stuff from the one handset - my dad laughed at me buying more toys to play with, but guess who had the last laugh when he couldn't find his bloody sky remote

ps thanks for the 40 year old virgin jibe missie

Comment

figflair - play.com have them on sale at the moment

Comment

no probs ....its just if u want mimilist....why hav ne at all???? aint that sposed be about the plain and simple look....not stupid toys on shelves?!

Comment

That Boba Fett is totally kick ass.

I love this kind of stuff - my only problem is I don't have enough space for it all so it's best that I don't start collecting it.

You can also go way OTT and start cramming stuff in left right an centre. I know someone who did that with those cool Marvel busts. What started out as a bit of a showcase turned into a cluttered mess where nothing really stood out because it was all so overpowering.

I was eyeing up this little beauty a day or so ago (taken from one of the most radical and brilliant parallel Marvel Universes where all the superhero's are zombies).

Comment

While I don't really do figures (I'd be pulling my hair out deciding whether or not to take them out of the packaging!), my room is basically littered with things like special edition box sets of games or films I already own, or posters and wallscrolls.

On top of my anime unit, I've got my Resident Evil LE's. That's my RE4 GameCube, DS Limited Pack, Biohazard Sound Chronicle, Biohazard Collectors Box, various different Premium Editions and loads more. Collecting dust maybe, but it looks a damn cool to me, which is the main thing =P

Been on a JPop binge recently, I can see where that's going to end up...

Comment

no probs ....its just if u want mimilist....why hav ne at all???? aint that sposed be about the plain and simple look....not stupid toys on shelves?!
                              Don't want it looking like a doctors surgery - so bits of colour here and there, something to catch the eye, to admire, to even have someone saying 'what the hell is that ****' - anything to break up what could be a boring room

I have been known to watch changing rooms in the past you know

Comment

Working...
                              X