Redundant: the Find Me a Career Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redundant: the Find Me a Career Thread!

I've just been told that come July, my job is off somewhere else in the country (or India, natch) and it's not taking me with it. That'll teach me for working for a bank.

The redundancy money I get is enough to cover debts, etc, and I still live at home with my parents so there's no major outlays, financially. And I'm young, at 24. Unfortunately, I'm unskilled and am educated to GCSE level. Ugh.

What options are there for decent work? I've been in dead-end jobs since leaving school and feel like I should really just do something with my life. What? I've no idea. Since leaving school I've had no idea hence dead-end jobs.

I really know nothing about training schemes, jobs with decent prospects, stuff. Any advice/links would be helpful!

Cheers

If you can stomach it i'd recommend some kind of foundation/access course at Uni, you only need to be educated to GCSE level and after a year you can start your degree, i did it in 05 (at 22) and now im on an english/history degree, working part time in my local Gamestation and living with a mate. It can be tough, but loans etc go a long way to helping. Once its done careers are easier to find, not neccessarily in the field you studied in either, so its not the end of the world if you don't really know what you want at the end.

Just my 2 cents, good luck whatever you decide to go for

Comment

yeah, it may sound like a chore but going back into education, even for a couple of years will be an immense help. it will look good on your cv as well - showing that you are willing to take steps to improve your prospects.

Comment

hey i might be getting made redundant in late June/July

maybe we can be jobless boozing buddies

Comment

Education or boozing... The offers pile in!

Education sounds like a good idea tbh. I always regretted not going further with it before so access courses I may look into, just money that worries me but I guess I'll cope with it if I decide to go that way!

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
            Education or boozing... The offers pile in!

Education sounds like a good idea tbh. I always regretted not going further with it before so access courses I may look into, just money that worries me but I guess I'll cope with it if I decide to go that way!
            on a serious note

with your redundancy package if you have enough to clear the debts why dont you take a month off or so - to weigh up everything before you jump back into the big world

Comment

I am definately considering that. Chances are I can get out in July, so I could have a nice stress-free summer!

The money I'll get isn't really enough to sustain me for much longer than that, though. Especially when it gets to November/December and game releases go mad

Comment

If you've had minimum wage jobs anyway think like this:

I earn 12 grand for 3/4 years or spend that time getting a degree... Then earn decent money for 35 years.

Thats the way it has always worked for me. I'm still in uni (PGCE) and have mates with more disposable income (at the moment) but realistically when you wanta house and kids you need a decent wage and you still have ample time (and no strings) to get it.

Oh, and move out if you can and get housemates. The most rewarding experience ever!

Comment

**** the degree, get into IT. Get yourself a few Microsoft qualifications, do your time on first line (around a year) and then start moving up the ladder (2nd line/desktop support/sys admin..etc). I was pretty much in the same boat a few years back, moving from job-to-job with no real career path, then I landed a helpdesk job with Fujitsu. Nearly 3 years on and I've almost tripled my starting salary. The thing is with IT is its not actually that hard, it's just most people are dumb and think it is

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post

I really know nothing about training schemes, jobs with decent prospects, stuff. Any advice/links would be helpful!

Cheers
                    My advice would be to learn a trade. My mate lost his job last summer and enrolled in a plumbing course, he was certified before christmas and now earns a more than decent wage and actually enjoys his job plus Its a job for life. Oh and you cannae outsource it to India either!

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
                      **** the degree, get into IT. Get yourself a few Microsoft qualifications, do your time on first line (around a year) and then start moving up the ladder (2nd line/desktop support/sys admin..etc). I was pretty much in the same boat a few years back, moving from job-to-job with no real career path, then I landed a helpdesk job with Fujitsu. Nearly 3 years on and I've almost tripled my starting salary. The thing is with IT is its not actually that hard, it's just most people are dumb and think it is
                      Hmm, so the 4 years I've done in support is perhaps a little OTT

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
                        The thing is with IT is its not actually that hard, it's just most people are dumb and think it is
                        Man I thought I was the only person who felt that way

I'm with Monkey - **** further education it won't get you the leg up as well as damn good work experience. I work in a very large organisation and believe me when I tell you the ones at the top are the people who understand the business (not the theory) and have AAA networking and people skills.

You've been working in banking so use that to your advantage - I'm sure over and above your actual role there you've learned a lot about the financial/monetary sector - That is your strength at the moment so ensure you get yourself a CV which plays heavily on that.

If you already have rudimentary IT skills (i.e Oracle or general IT which would cover a 1st line support role) then try for something like that with a credit card or banking company. Take a job like that, learn something else if you like as a side-project (SQL/ORACLE recommended) and from there the world is your oyster.

Just don't get in a panic or a doom & gloom about it - As Monkey said a lot of people overestimate others and think they know more than they do - Confidence can take you far.

I'm going to stop now. ><

Comment

This was the only redundancy thread I could fine so just wanted to have a little rant.

Went into the office today, company meeting called 60 out of 90 people laid off including me and my entire team.... They should have waited until Friday 13th to do it...

Anyway I'm pissed off, fed up etc. The wife's in tears and everything is ****.

Oh well, tomorrows another day. If anybody knows somebody who needs an IT Director / Manager drop me a PM.

Comment

That is crap, it's happening all over the place sadly, I work in an office of 160 people, I dodged the first cull of sales people before Xmas, but 12 out of 36 production people are being let go on Friday (it's all done on a scoring system), you can imagine what the atmosphere in the office is/has been like. Not good times.

Jobsite seems to have quite a few IT vacancies, suggest there is one of your first ports of call, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
                              That is crap, it's happening all over the place sadly, I work in an office of 160 people, I dodged the first cull of sales people before Xmas, but 12 out of 36 production people are being let go on Friday (it's all done on a scoring system), you can imagine what the atmosphere in the office is/has been like. Not good times.

Jobsite seems to have quite a few IT vacancies, suggest there is one of your first ports of call, good luck.
                              It's a horrible feeling to have really, even though it's not my fault I've lost my job I still feel lke I've done something wrong and I've let me wife and 2yr old son down.

I know I wont be sleeping well anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X