finally pass judgement (footy games)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally pass judgement (footy games)

The Fifa, Pro Evo debate has been settlyed for some time now, but let me dig it back up and give my opinions as i have fully played both games to death and feel i can now fully express myself.

Pro Evolution 2: I was very dissapointed with the lack of updates since the first. Players name wise, it had actualy gone backwards. The comentry had not been touched on, even though they managed to make ISS sound so good and it generaly looked the same. But it was still the PES that i love. The create a team was muchly apreciated. I created Millwall complete with badge and also my college team. Fantastic stuff. The gameplay had only been improved a little bit but i was shoked that the gameplay could be improved at all. That game run with style and it WAS football. It just feels so right, you watch a match, sling in the game and it feels the same. The emotions are brought to the surface when ever you get near a goal and the whole experiance is spot on.

Fifa 2003: I was shocked by the improvment over 2002. The graphics and sound are just breath taking there is no question to that. But what did confuse me was the back steps, such as no saving of replays (or have i missed this?) and no create a team? NO CREATE A TEAM? That was always the best option in FIFA, but why was it dropped. Such a shame. The gameplay is where this game loses the battle though. Every goal looks the same and there just isn't any tention there at all. Because it is so easy to score here i was finding myself winning (or loseing) 13-1. It's a defenate talking point for the next game which i believe will be called 'Fifa 2004'!

All in all, i was impressed by FIFA, but just not enough to sling my copy of PES out of the window. I'm thinking of melting both discs down like in a big black pot and mix them with this big wooden spoon and freeze it again so it can create the best football game in the world. Who's with me?!

Title edited
    Please try and use relevant subject titles on your posts. It makes it much better for people all round. Cryptic titles are not really useful to anyone.

Comment

I'd suggest you try Winning Eleven 6 in any of it's incarnations, much better than pro evo 2 by quite some margin.

Comment

Originally posted by stroppa
        I'd suggest you try Winning Eleven 6 in any of it's incarnations, much better than pro evo 2 by quite some margin.
        I`d second that- this is a pretty pointless debate if you haven`t tried Winning Eleven 6, or Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution, which pisses on PES2 from a great height.

Have a look at my review of the Gamecube version

Comment

WHoah, hold on here, I am lost completely.

PES2 is from what version of Winning ELeven?

Comment

Originally posted by JibberX
            WHoah, hold on here, I am lost completely.

PES2 is from what version of Winning ELeven?
            PES2 is a weaker version of Winning Eleven 6. Winning Eleven 6- Final Evolution is a much improved version of Winning ELeven 6.

Comment

WE (Winning Eleven) is the Japanese incarnation of the European (Pro Evolution Soccer) series. WE has always had tighter controls, smoother animation, more balanced pace and better commentary than PES. BTW, great review Allan.

Comment

but we must remember that not everyone can import.

(sorry about the title)

Comment

With a GC and Freeloader anyone can import it.

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_elmo
                    but we must remember that not everyone can import.

(sorry about the title)
                    But mate, this is an import gamers forum.

Why stick with PAL, when it is actually more expensive, you more often than not suffer long delays on the top games getting released, some of the other top games don`t even get released (e.g. Psyvarier), and games, often, not only sometimes suffer from slowdown, or borders, but they can also suffer from unnecessary changes in the games (think the awful voice changes in Soul Calibur 2 which are forthcoming for the Western release, or the God-awful changes made in the PAL release of Devil May Cry).

Comment

All I know is that FIFA sucks, its just awful. I really should be called FIFA 1.1 1.2 1.3 and sold as add-ons. ?40 for a game that is essentially the same game with a new startup screen and title music.

Comment

sorry but Fifa 2003 is the closest that the Fifa series has got to the Winning Eleven series in many years - and imo EA should be applauded by trying to get back into the game rather than resting on its laurels

Konami can still learn a lot from EA in terms of presentation/licensing - to have wrongly spelt names is bad enough but to have old strips/squads and even not having any name for a team (Holland squad is called OrangeXX) is just farcial - for a series with thrice yearly updates, which Winning Eleven has had for the last 3 years, this just isn't good enough

the fact of the matter is Redeye got it right in one of his Edge features - Konami sucked us all into the best footie franchise, we have spread knowledge of said game over the last 5-6 years (even longer for some of us who owned Perfect Eleven and Fighting Eleven on Super Famicom) - and now that Konami are getting the sales to go with the critical acclaim it seems that they are forgetting about the 'hardcore' footie fan and aiming to get the mainstream market cornered - which EA as had cornered for many many years with the Fifa franchise

saying that - Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution is the finest footie game yet developed. it has been an evolution in terms of small changes to every update to get the perfect blend ..... just that for some its expected that these changes are brought to the squads/strips/presentation as well as little new touches added to the gameplay side (which is nigh on perfect anyways)

A footie game isn't just about how it plays - its about having uptodate stats/squads, its about having the real names for your players, its about having good commentary - surely you gets my drift by now

ps PES2 is a slight improvement over WE6 - but its not as good as WE6FE ... which is the ultimate version till WE7 comes out

camps

Comment

Originally posted by camps
                          Konami can still learn a lot from EA in terms of presentation/licensing - to have wrongly spelt names is bad enough but to have old strips/squads and even not having any name for a team (Holland squad is called OrangeXX) is just farcial - for a series with thrice yearly updates, which Winning Eleven has had for the last 3 years, this just isn't good enough
                          But Camps, the reason for the `orange` thing is that the Dutch FA apparently threatened Konami with legal action.

Comment

yes i know - and a nice fat cheque would have soon stopped any complaining they might have

end of the day they have to pay for licensing - EA have never shirked away from the cost when they had the no1 footie title (sales-wise) but Konami seem to

camps

Comment

Originally posted by camps
                              sorry but Fifa 2003 is the closest that the Fifa series has got to the Winning Eleven series in many years - and imo EA should be applauded by trying to get back into the game rather than resting on its laurels
                              Why should they be applauded for continuing to create better option menus without improving and evolving the gameplay mechanics to a satifsfactory degree?

EA used their substantial funds and financing to procure licenses for team names, players etc To suggest that Konami is farcical for being unable to buy their way into people's homes is tenuous at best.

the fact of the matter is Redeye got it right in one of his Edge features - Konami sucked us all into the best footie franchise, we have spread knowledge of said game over the last 5-6 years (even longer for some of us who owned Perfect Eleven and Fighting Eleven on Super Famicom) - and now that Konami are getting the sales to go with the critical acclaim it seems that they are forgetting about the 'hardcore' footie fan and aiming to get the mainstream market cornered - which EA as had cornered for many many years with the Fifa franchise
                              How are Konami forgetting their hardcore footy fans? If anything, their continuing to cater to our very tastes by releasing progressively evolved versions of the series where gameplay, graphics and presentation have all been improved and tweaked to such a degree that to even suggest that the FIFA series is a football simulation is laughable. Only recently they went on board to suggest that licensing agreements were being sought with FIFPro and indeed their implementation of Champ Manager stats for more realistic player info should be commended. I haven't read the article you mentioned but if your interpretation of what Redeye said is indeed true then I very much disagree with his sentiments.

saying that - Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution is the finest footie game yet developed. it has been an evolution in terms of small changes to every update to get the perfect blend ..... just that for some its expected that these changes are brought to the squads/strips/presentation as well as little new touches added to the gameplay side (which is nigh on perfect anyways)
                              So if you agree that the gameplay has improved and continues to do so for the better, your argument that licensing issues are Konami's fault and should therefore be used as an argument against the series in general rings hollow.

A footie game isn't just about how it plays - its about having uptodate stats/squads, its about having the real names for your players, its about having good commentary - surely you gets my drift by now
                              If I had to choose between gameplay physics and licensing I'd pick the former every time, hence Winning Eleven and not FIFA.

Comment

Working...
                              X