The end of an era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of an era?

The end for Nintendo? I certainly hope not!

(follow the url above, poll is on the right of that page)

Back to 'Hanafuda' cards, then.

Comment

To be honest I wouldn`t mind if Nintendo concentrated on making games. It certainly didn`t hurt Sega pulling out of the hardware scene.

Nintendo ceasing to manufacture machines certainly wouldn`t hamper the quality of their games, and may actually improve them, as they could concentrate more of their financial clout into the development of them.

As for the handheld side, Nintendo will be staying in that market for a long time- no worries there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
        To be honest I wouldn`t mind if Nintendo concentrated on making games. It certainly didn`t hurt Sega pulling out of the hardware scene.
        Only because they were losing money every year. Many of Sega's games have bombed since going third party, especially their sports titles (Which sold MUCH better on DC) and their Xbox line-up.

And that poll is plain mis-informed. It claims "The Game Cube is losing too much money" which is ridiculous, given that they make cash on every piece of hardware sold.

Comment

I wonder how much Nintendo have in their war chest?

Comment

[quote="Lorraine Kelly"]
            Only because they were losing money every year. Many of Sega's games have bombed since going third party, especially their sports titles (Which sold MUCH better on DC) and their Xbox line-up.
            But, not meaning to turn this away from the point of the thread, Sega are doing better now. It doesnt matter whatever way you look at it- they were hampered by the poor sales of the Dreamcast. You can`t tell me the companie`s position doesn`t look a lot healthier now.

Comment

I agree with Tokuda here. I think that Nintendo should go into the software only game (not in the handheld market obviously) for reasons many won't agree with me on. I owned a GC and sold it purely because the lure of Nintendo games don't have the magic they used to have, for me. I am pissed that I won't get to play the 1080 and f-zero sequels but thats all. Also, if they went that way more people would be able to play their games and find that they aren't just for children which most of the misled public believe.

The Gamecube as hardware clearly has its limitations, capacity of the disks springs to mind and although I do love the way they are only about games, unfortunatley things are becoming more pc like and will continue to do so.

Thats my rant over and honestly, I doubt that Nintendo will go down that road for a long time, if ever.

Comment

[quote="Tokuda"]
                Originally posted by Lorraine Kelly
                But, not meaning to turn this away from the point of the thread, Sega are doing better now. It doesnt matter whatever way you look at it- they were hampered by the poor sales of the Dreamcast. You can`t tell me the companie`s position doesn`t look a lot healthier now.
                Yes, but it doesn't mean Nintendo would make more cash as a third party, losing license fees (Having to pay them to Sony and MS) as well as all the money they make from the different hardware products they release.

I mentioned Sega because they're proof that a larger userbase doesn't always mean higher software sales. Shenmue, JSR, their sports games and more all did noticably better on their own hardware.

Comment

We`re talking cross-purposes here then, because I don`t actually disagree with what you`ve said. My focus from my first post was only on the quality of games and not their profitbaility.

I stand by my first post that the quality of Nintendo games wouldn`t be hampered by a move away from hardware, and that such a move may actually benefit the quality of software they put out as they could invest more into game development.

Comment

The Gamecube as hardware clearly has its limitations, capacity of the disks springs to mind and although I do love the way they are only about games, unfortunatley things are becoming more pc like and will continue to do so.
                    The GC as hardware is clearly superior to that of the PS2 but is still being outsold massively so any limitations one way or the other hardly seem to affect sales.

What do you mean by more PC like? Hardrives and online capabilities presumably. Many people will be wary of paying extra for online charges and episodic games so i still think there's a niche there for Nintendo.

Comment

Aye, but do they want Niche'

They where the clear market leaders ten years ago, and now they are scrabbling to hold off a much maligned first time in the market console called the Xbox.

Looking at things from a purley marketing point of view. Nintendo need to get with the times. I've said time and time again. Franchises such as Mario, Metroid and Zelda are old hat. They mean very little to the gamer of this day and age.

I know it's totaly unfair on the quality of those titles, but thats how things are, and it's plainly obvious to see imo.

Comment

The whole nintendo going third party was purely speculation (from a while ago too) and since then Nintendo said their next-generation console is in the works and will be on sale 2005/6 so as not be behind on the release of their console (PS2 got a considerable head start)

so Nintendo will have at least one more console coming out

I don't think nintendo should go thrid party, as i like only buying one console for their games, i am unlikely to buy all three consoles as i can't afford to, i don't want to buy one console for mario, another for zelda etc because this is how sega is atm

I like a lot of sega games, but different games are being made for different systems, if i want JSRF i need an xbox, sonic and i'll need a Gamecube (only DC ports as of yet, but sonic team prefer GC) and i;ll need a PS2 for shinobi

anyways that my rant over

Comment

Nintendo ceasing to manufacture machines certainly wouldn`t hamper the quality of their games, and may actually improve them, as they could concentrate more of their financial clout into the development of them.

As for the handheld side, Nintendo will be staying in that market for a long time- no worries there.

well nintendo rely on the knoladge of there hardware alot.As miyamoto has pointed out on several ocassions he designs teh controller with his games in mind.
                          So would we be able to see the same great games from miyamoto as we would do if ninty carried on with there hardware.With mr miyamoto having to mould the game around the controller rather than the other way around.
                          Also ninty of course will design there consoles around thee games. so it builds on the strong points which 1st pary games will benfit from.
                          leaving the hardware market any time soon? nah i doubt it.

Comment

Nintendo won't make anymore money on software on other consoles as they do now. If PS2 and XBox owners really wanted to play Nintendo games then they would pay out the extremely cheap ?100 and play them now.

I wouldn't mind Nintendo becoming software only as long as they produced their own controllers to go with the games.

But to be honest Nintendo are still making money on the GC so why would they want to leave the hardware market?

Roll on the Gamecube Advance!

Comment

Hmm, i totally disagree with that. In what way do you mean it hasnt hurt sega pulling out of the hardware scene? In financial terms, they are still making huge losses, their financial projections dont suggest this will change any time soon (nor do the projections of industry analysts), and every week there seems to be a different buyout rumour. If anything, they may even be in a WORSE financial state now- their losses maybe be less, but the investment is also less. Complicated financial issues... ones that are above me :P

And if you are talking about quality of output, I dont think anyone can dispute that Sega have fallen from grace massively. OK, so they have released a couple of above average titles in the last twelve months (PDO, beach spikers) but the majority have been lazy ports, or just plain rubbish games (gungrave, sega gt, shinobi etc). Where have the imaginative games like JSR, Samba de amigo, Space channel 5, Rez, crazy taxi, PSO been??
                              In simple economic terms, if you dont own the hardware you are making games for, each game is going to cost you an extra $10 US per unit or so, as you have to pay the format holder a license fee. This in turn means games have to sell many, many more units to be profitable. Which in turn means that you cannot afford to take as many risks. Sound familiar? this is exactly what has happened at Sega, and the same factors would affect Nintendos output if they ever went third party IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X