Has play.com gone really downhill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has play.com gone really downhill?

I've started using shopto.net for almost everything games related but on sunday I placed two orders, one at shopto, the other at play.com.

The items in price were VASTLY different, the shopto being a cheapy cable and the play.com being something VERY expensive.

Got my text from shopto about lunchtime today, its in the post.

Play.com = been packing since 12 lunchtime.

I rang them to mention that I didn't think something of that value should be "packing" for 6 hours plus, only to be told that usually things go out within 48 hours and "you only placed the order yesterday"...erm, what exactly does that matter?

Play.com used to be my first port of call, I found them way back in early 2000's, may have been 2001 or even earlier! But lately, their delivery times have been a lot worse, customer service rather poor and now this...an item of high value that "may still get out tonight for tomorrow, but it's more likely to be wednesday. It'll certainly be no later than wednesday at the latest".

I was also told (regarding 6 hours packing) "It takes time for them to get the items together, print the labels"...

To me, for a high value item that isn't good enough to be honest. Especially when shopto.net can get a tiny cheapo cable out to me within 24 hours, in fact I got the text within 16 hours saying it was shipped!!

So...is it me? Or has a once wonderful service gone downhill?

Oh this is without me even mentioning the hassle it took to get them to replace an ?899.99 LCD TV that was faulty 6 months ago!!!

I still get great service from play - it's probably just down to their computer system that the statuses stay as packing or processing, I know at Choices where I work the statuses on orders update in batch. Every new release I've ordered from them recently has arrived on or before release day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
      I was also told (regarding 6 hours packing) "It takes time for them to get the items together, print the labels"...
      Amazon once told me that.

Its always made me laugh. I used to work in a warehouse sending deliveries out to customers and it was never complicated. Run round pick up the bits, lob 'em in the packing, print label off computer, whack on pile to go out in post that night.

End of day throw, errr I mean place, items in lorry.

Comment

I've only ever used them for game/cd/film items. Anything expensive, I'd want to know which day it was being delivered so I would definitely be in. Not how long it took them to pack.
        Does play give you the option of which day?
        Last edited by charlesr; 30-04-2007, 18:03.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          I still get great service from play - it's probably just down to their computer system that the statuses stay as packing or processing, I know at Choices where I work the statuses on orders update in batch. Every new release I've ordered from them recently has arrived on or before release day.
          Well he said he checked the item, told me what it was to which I replied "Yes" and he couldn't really give me an specifics as to what's happening with it other than (as the website says) "Packing".

If it doesn't come tomorrow, it'll be my last order with them to be honest. I've spent thousands, absolutely THOUSANDS since my first order and it's not the service I once knew...

Charles you've hit the nail on the head...this isn't a CD/DVD/Game/Book, it's an item of £500 value and I want it tomorrow, not "by wednesday at the latest" because it's taken 6 ****ing hours to pack it!!

As I say, it may still come tomorrow if it's just a case of them not updating the order because they do it in batches but if it doesn't, they've lost a customer who has spend ****loads over the years.

Comment

They're still OK in my experience.

As long as you don't pre-order games / DVD's from them and expect them to arrive on or just before they day of release like they used to, then they're pretty good.

Comment

I should mention this is nothing to do with a pre-order...it's a product that is already out

Comment

Jebus did you order a PS3 from them ? Because shopto sent me an email last Friday and they were doing PS3's for &#163;369.99 over the weekend !!! ><

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Does play give you the option of which day?
                  Day for delivery? No not at all. It says items over ?75 go "special delivery" which is absolute nonsense, they send it (and I had this confirmed today, and the fact my LCD came this way) via parcelforce.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax-UK View Post
                    Jebus did you order a PS3 from them ? Because shopto sent me an email last Friday and they were doing PS3's for ?369.99 over the weekend !!! ><
                    That was a limited stock offer (something they failed to mention in the email) apparently!

Comment

Didn't someone else on here have massive problems with them and an LCD?

For some reason I've got it in my head it was Concept?

I wouldn't use them for big purchases for the very reason mentioned - you have no idea when your brand spanking new &#163;900 toy would be turning up.

Comment

I bought MY Samsung LCD from them absolutely no problems, but about a year later my father in law used my account to buy one for christmas for his wife (and himself) but they were real ****ers about replacing it. Parcelforce apparently didn't show up 3 times even though I personally KNOW the driver and he never had us on the pickup lists on the days they promised.

Eventually I had to pay myself and sorted a collection out with parcelforce, which happened on time and on the right day. Play.com eventually refunded me that cost (&#163;30+!!!!) and gave me &#163;70 good will. Pretty good after it was all said and done but the ****ing stress they caused between me and my father in law was obscene, every time they blamed someone else and this took almost 5 weeks to resolve.

Comment

I've never had a problem with them but I'm a fairly patient guy (probably due to dealing with mail order as a kid).

The only time I had a quibble was when a game I bought (PoP:TTT, Xbox) kept locking-up at exactly the same point of play with no obvious explanation. They offered a refund or exchange without argument (free postage return).

Like others I don't think I'd buy high-value items from them either.

Comment

I think that their service got a bit worse, probably because they have experience a huge increase in purchases and probably they want to increase profit...last time I ordered a game from them I had to wait a day or two to get it shipped, which is not a big deal in my book (packs will always get awfully delayed once they reach Italy thanks to our mail service). Prices are slightly higher than before as they do not accept payments in ounds from anyone outside the UK, but again, it's an euro or two at max - buying english books here means at least a 50&#37; price increase, so they ae still a viable source of material for me. As long they don' get items mixed up I'm cool with play.com.

Comment

Well the thing is, my lcd was delivered promptly and perfectly, it's only the second one that wasn't so great.

YEARS ago I had a problem with a South park boxset arriving warped (look like heat damage of some kind), all the discs were warped and wierd.

They replaced it immediately. Don't get me wrong, they've been great.

But this is a ****ing &#163;500 item and it's been packing for 7 1/2 hours now, I'm a bit pissed off because I'd planned my day around it arriving tomorrow, wednesday is a bad day for it to arrive. Let alone the fact that means from ordering to delivery it'd be a 72 hour process, which isn't good enough when you consider their main gaming competition has done the same process within 36 hours come tomorrow morning when I grab it at work!

Comment

Working...
                              X