Someone has to ask...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone has to ask...

...why did the parents of the little girl leave their children alone? I may not know all the details but that sounds pretty poor to me.

Apparently, each of the parents took turns to check up on the kids throughout their meal.

I don't feel too comfortable making any comments since I'm not a parent myself but your question was the first to leap to my mind.

Comment

Poor is a understatement, they were obviously more worried about enjoying themselves with food and drink than the safety of their kids. Says it all.

Hope they find the girl safe and sound and the parents get locked up for neglect.

And that's my restrained answer, don't know how anyone with kids would leave them alone and go to a restaurant down the road.

Comment

Huh? Whats all this about?

Comment

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
            Poor is a understatement, they were obviously more worried about enjoying themselves with food and drink than the safety of their kids. Says it all.

Hope they find the girl safe and sound and the parents get locked up for neglect.

And that's my restrained answer, don't know how anyone with kids would leave them alone and go to a restaurant down the road.
            Isn't there a law that states you CANNOT leave children on their own until a certain age? I think it's 14 actually...

I actually didn't realise the child was on her own, I thought the aunt or something was there too and was asleep that's how it happened, I hadn't heard the full story til recently.

But ****ing hell, my wife and I went out to see Ricky Gervais a couple of months before no2 was born, left John with his grandparents, even for 3 hours we sit there only half enjoying ourselves, hoping our little boy isn't missing us too much and is ok I mean, now we have our second sometimes on a saturday my mum takes John out for a few hours to give us a break, and you panic then if they aren't back on time, what's happened etc! Don't get me wrong, we're not panicy worrysome parents, just giving examples.

When you become a parent, that's your choice, but you have to give up a few things, as much as you give up you gain because being a parent is a wonderful experience. The thought of going out and leaving our children on their own...well to be honest, it's not something I've EVER actually thought about, it wouldn't even cross our minds. Jesus, most parents don't like leaving their children on their own for 10 seconds while they put the bins out let alone ****ing off for a meal! The harm a child can do to themselves left alone for 5 seconds is bad enough...

Basically I agree 100% with you David, but I won't comment any further, like you, a restrained answer.
            Last edited by Jebus; 06-05-2007, 08:16.

Comment

For me the first thing I though wrongly was they must have been a couple of chav pikeys more interested in throwing cheap beer down their necks, turns out hes a cardiologist and she's a GP. Another stereotype broken for me.

Hope shes ok, this whole police thing that they know who abducted her and where she is is very weird. Again another stereotype but I thought Police in the continent would be kicking the door in shooting first and worrying about questions later?

Comment

The reports I've read didn't mention she was left with an Aunt, more implied she had be left with the two year old twins.

eg
                Originally posted by bbc.co.uk
                The Ocean Club resort offers a creche service but the couple decided to leave Madeleine and two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie sleeping in the apartment while they went to a nearby restaurant.
                Last edited by VR46; 06-05-2007, 08:52.

Comment

You're not alone, it was my first thought also.

I really hope she is found ok, but as you say, questions need to be asked about the parental responsibilities here.

(three daughters, 7, 5, and 3, and I wouldn't leave the 7yr old on her own, never mind the other two!!)

Comment

Strangely enough, I recently looked into a holiday for me, my wife and our fourteen week old baby. I didn't know if people actually go on holidays with babies. Anyway, a hotel known for being a family hotel told us that people do it all the time and they have a system set up where you can leave your child in your room with the phone off the hook and then you can ring into the room periodically to check if there is any sound - meaning you would be leaving the child in the room on their own which, to me, is crazy. This is a regular system they have going and, from the sounds of it, lots of people were using it.

I wouldn't dream of leaving our child alone while we went off somewhere but it seemed from that that there are plenty who will. This bunch isn't the only people doing it. Crazy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Strangely enough, I recently looked into a holiday for me, my wife and our fourteen week old baby. I didn't know if people actually go on holidays with babies.
                      We did, we took our very young son...may have been 6 month old.

It wasn't great, but I won't scare you as to what happened...there's a thread someone in this forum about it.

Comment

Yeah it seems quite poor parenting to leave two 2 years olds and a 3 year old on there own. Not just for child snatchers but what if theres a fire or one of them gets up and hurts themselves??
                        Another thing, I wanna know how the hell these sick child snatchers always know when a child is on its own?! This world is FUBAR!

Comment

the fathers friends reunited entry just about says it all tbh

to quote him
                          April 2005- Back in Leicester and looking for a job. Now father of three with Sean and Amelie joing Maddie. Anyone fancy babysitting?
                          Poor bairn

Comment

I suppose they thought they were being responsible by checking back every hour... I don't think I could leave a kid unattended that long, but I really don't know what it's like to be a parent so...

Didn't the resturant have some kind of creshe service which they didn't use?

Comment

That's what the story says yep.

Being responsible would be to either :

1. Get a babysitter
                              2. Use the hotels babysitting/creche facility
                              3. NOT ****ing go out.

I was shocked enough, but when I read todays paper and realised they had left all THREE of their children on their own...Jesus H Christ...unbelievable.

I hope they are thanking God that only one of the kids was taken, it sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X