Gaming and social prestige...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming and social prestige...

Admittedly this is merely a subtext for the whole "games are art!" shebang, but I am curious as to how others deal with this.

Even in Japan gaming is still very much a subculture (obviously bigger than in Blighty, but still underground), has anyone come into contact with any prejudice and how has it manifested itself? Moreover, what have you done in order to negate any and all forms of subjugation?

Ive never come across prejudice as such, the biggest extent would be female colleagues at work branding the hobby as sad and uninteresting whenever they hear us guys talking about it. Most of my friends arent too big on games either, I tend not to bother talking about games outside of these forums really.

Comment

Well I've got numerous stories about "lifestyle dip****s" from a certain forum...

I'll PM you the first seven volumes cacky.

Comment

I dont come across many problems

My colleagues at work are into gaming - just did one of them a modded Cube with RGB lead and Prime and he's now into his imports. My boss is always getting me to sort out mods/machines etc for her nieces/nephews. Quite a few people also got me to do Afterburners for them too so it's not weird to be a gamer where I work. All my friends are all heavy into games and we all link up as much as possible for ethnic cleansing on Soul Calibur and EVO ^^

Comment

Fortunately most of my mates are into gaming so discussion is not a problem, when I hear people or friends dissing gaming I usually try to set them straight with a well constructed argument, sometimes works sometimes not, guess it's all personal preferences.

Comment

None of my mates are really into gaming, generally it's only if the specific licence or setting of the game is to their interest that I can coerce them into multiplayer. Tbh, there are times when I wish they had no interest whatsoever, having someone who only wants to play Deathmatch Halo and won't go near the sublime Co-op mode is a cruel and unusual form of torture.

I usually know whether any one person will be receptive to me saying what consoles and games I own, and I know if I've misjudged this as about ten seconds after I start to talk their eyes will glaze over and you can almost hear their brain powering down.

It annoys me when gamers start moaning about the single-player mode of a game recieving more attention than online play, but the fact of the matter is single-player is still enjoyed by myself and others. As I mentioned, I have few mates who would participate in playing against me, and online is often little more than a playground full of inflated egos and testosterone.

Girls generally don't go for the passtime, they envisage sitting around while three blokes roar and backslap over Fifa, all the time ignoring their tastes and likes completly. Games like Monkeyball are quickly achieving a reputation at counteracting this, but that said I had a girlfriend who was snobbish towards consoles until she blew up a zombie with a rocket in Resident Evil and cackled loudly, I think she even suprised herself.

Comment

No, I don't come into much predjudice but (slightly random) I get really pissed off at little kids who think they know everything about gaming and refuse to believe whatever you say. (I come into contact with them as I am a student in 6th form, not a paeodophile).

Comment

I only have 1 mate who's a gamer, so I rarely talk about games away from this forum - I really can't be bothered to try & make someone understand the finer points of Metroid Prime/Guilty Gear **insert game here** whilst they look at me with a slightly quizzical expression.

Comment

What is clear from the posts is that as gamers we seem to gravitate towards other game players. This is pretty normal with any hobby type activities.

Personally I think that since the PS the stigma has been removed from gaming and it's now seen as a normal activity for 20 somethings to engage in. What sets most of us outside of that norm is the amount of cash we spend on games, the amount of time we spend playing them, our knowledge of the subject matter and to an extent our choice of games.

In this way our hobby appears to be a bit weird to others, but this is usually met with confusion as opposed to hatred.

Comment

Know-Nothing 'experts' who preach to you in EB.

Do my f**kin' nut in. I hate having to put people straight when they're un-informed and they refuse to admit they are.

My everyday friends are into gaming. But not heavily like me. Nowhere near.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                      No-Nothing 'experts' who preach to you in EB.

Do my f**kin' nut in. I hate having to put people straight when they're un-informed and they refuse to admit they are.

My everyday friends are into gaming. But not heavily like me. Nowhere near.
                      ROFLMAO!

Tis EB guy told me last week (this was supposed to impress me BTW) that he could get Arcade sticks from Japan for ?100.

Whoopie ****ing WOW!!!!!111 - I just let them carry on and giggle later. He thankfully told me that Dreamcast Arcade sticks are rubbish and games are "unplayable with them" - so glad I listened to him! Now I can ditch my sticks and learn how to play properly

Comment

I know what you mean.

Usually when I go into my regular EB, I get this muppet telling me which games to buy.

"You don't want to buy that. Get this instead."

Except, "this" is usually a pile of utter dog-wank.

Comment

I only went in there cos I needed a quick fix for an arcade stick - I had NUFF heads coming round for challenges and I felt for some SF2 Champion Edition on the Xbox - but there. are. no. decent. arcade. sticks. for. sale. in. the. UK.

WTF do people play on here!?!?!?!?!

Comment

I only have one arcade stick.

The official one for my DC. 'Tis a chunky bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                              WTF do people play on here!?!?!?!?!
                              Joypads. Arcade sticks (or at least the need for decent ones) never seem to catch on over 'ere (correct me if I'm wrong)

The DC stick being the obvious exception.

Comment

Working...
                              X