Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wll retro game styles ever make a comeback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wll retro game styles ever make a comeback?

Retro gaming has become really popular over the past few years, but do you think there will ever be, say, another Super Mario World on a home console (excluding handhelds) with richer graphics, but sticking with the 2D scrolling/platform concept? The market seems to be there with certain retro games getting rediculously priced on the likes of ebay. So do you reckon games will go full circle and revert back to its 2 dimentional roots?

Well you could argue they're already coming back, with things like sonic mega collection etc on release for the home consoles. But i suppose it just depends on how profitable the gaming companys see these ideas.
    IMO tho i dont think we'll see a bunch of new games of this style yet, not when they have a pool of old games they can easily and cheaply bring out for all those people who missed them first time round

Comment

I think we might see 2D platform games come back if the retro sonic packs, and the Mario ports on the GBA sell well. Unfortunately this is still not a fair reflection on if 2D can sell.

I hope they do though, and the interview that NTSC-uk did with Miyamoto suggested that Mario could go back to his routes.

Comment

Some retro styles have already come back.

After all, isn't Space Channel 5 just Dragon's Lair done the right way?

And Donkey Kong 64 was essentially a 3D platform version of Pacman.

Comment

Lets not forget monkeyball. True retro action.

Comment

Originally posted by tssk

And Donkey Kong 64 was essentially a 3D platform version of Pacman.
            That's exactly why I hated the game.

Comment

Viewtiful Joe is a 2D scrolling beat-em-up coming out on the gamecube, but it may be the only example of a retro style game 2D not on the GBA

Comment

I actually believe old school 2D games would revitalise the arcaades. Back in the day, those games were compelling and fun - something most arcade games today are not.

Comment

Nah. Anything with less than photo-realistic graphics is going to alienate a large number of arcade-goers. It is true that rythm action games are becoming popular, but 2D games are still viewed as inferior by the mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by olly
                    Nah. Anything with less than photo-realistic graphics is going to alienate a large number of arcade-goers. It is true that rythm action games are becoming popular, but 2D games are still viewed as inferior by the mainstream.
                    In the home maybe, but the arcades are a different thing. The current lull in the arcade sector pretty much proves my point.

Jo(e) Public likes mobile phone and fash games; why? Because they're simple, compelling and fun. With that in mind, I can't see why old style 2D games in a local pub or arcade won't have the same effect.

Comment

The 2D shooter will never die with games like Stag (and the emerging PC shooter scene). Everyone loves a shooter.

Comment

Enevitably I foresee the end of retro style games. As graphics become more advanced and virtual reality style games take-off and become the norm then people will be able to enter surreal worlds similar to retro style environments if they desire. I envisage most people enjoying more realistic experiences though such as DaytonaVR, oh yeahhhh.

Do I really have to wait until 2250A.D for a bloody HoloDeck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ady
                          In the home maybe, but the arcades are a different thing. The current lull in the arcade sector pretty much proves my point.

Jo(e) Public likes mobile phone and fash games; why? Because they're simple, compelling and fun. With that in mind, I can't see why old style 2D games in a local pub or arcade won't have the same effect
                          Intresting points.The mobile phone thing is true, but i personally believe true 3D gaming movements (IE PC/Console) will slow because of this as resources maybe tied up producing 2D games (one plus here is the simplicity and short turnaround time a conversion/orignal game can take).
                          I've got to argue with myself here though. These phone games are a bloody rip-off (around 3.00-5.00 each and that takes the piss) so may kill themselves, although, unlikely.

Then theres emulation of course, now widely available on all formats, although rather inaccessable to the average consumer but if archieve museums take off (an idea muted in the last Edge issue) then they could be a successful extension of the old skool arcade.

I do think the 2D genres are all but complete. Atari and Sega explored many during their reign, so with that in mind (Puzzle games and Bemani aside) - there s not many places 2D gaming can go.
                          But i do believe mobile phone gaming will eventually be the death knell of Nintendo's biggest income as their invaluable in this day and age.
                          The gameboy, whatever it's incarnation, is not.

Comment

Working...
                          X