Football League Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football League Thread

Let's use this thread for all you real football fans out there, in the Championship, League 1 and league 2.

In the Championship relegated Charlton only managed a 1-1 draw against newly promoted boys Scunthorpe. Meanwhile Sheffield Wednesday suffered what's hopefully their worst defeat of the season out of the way, losing 4-1 to Ipswitch! Same goes for Southampton as well, they lost 4-1 to Palace, and also Barnsley lost 4-1 to Coventry!

In league 1 it was a grim start for Forest. They only managed a 0-0 draw at home to to Bournemouth.

Leeds grabbed a late winner against Tranmere to put their points tally on -12.
    Last edited by MarioMark; 23-05-2012, 12:33.

Yep, bad day at the office for Saints today but then we havent won on the opening day of the season since '99 and prior to that '88. Not good really is it!? I knew when I saw them play Lazio a few weeks back in a friendly (Yes, I know it was just a "meaningless" friendly but still...) that we were going to be in trouble this season from the off but I didnt think we would get a 4-1 drumming at home. At least there were a few other teams in our division that got the same beating today but it's still not a good excuse. I still feel gutted. We really need to get some new players in at the back that know what they are doing. Ah well, our away form hasnt been too bad the last couple of seasons so I'm hoping for a much better performance against Norwich next weekend.

Suprised Charlton didnt pick up the three points but then it's never easy playing against new boys for the first game. I see Colchester are again going to prove they are no push overs, very good point won against Sheff United who are most probably are going to be right up there at the end of the season. See Sheringham lasted 90 mins in that game? He is incredible!

Also, a very good win for Watford away at Wolves altho I read they were lucky on the day but hey. Nice to see Marlon King get the winner tho.

Comment

Great win for Burnley over WBA today. After a decent start we fell behind to an incisive counter attack that Phillips finished superbly. WBA then went on to boss the remainder of the 1st half and I was happy with 0 - 1 at half time tbh.

Great start at the beginning of the 2nd period, Michael Duff rose well to power a Robbie Blake corner into the top corner. The introduction of Akinbiyi with about 20 min to go was the substitution that tipped the game our way - WBA couldn't cope with his pace and power, and despite missing a sitter he soon won a penalty that Gray converted.

Great win against a strong Championship side, I am quite optimistic about our chances this year. We are signing David Unsworth on Monday, and if we can add another central midfielder (preferably Djemba Djemba who was magnificent last year) then the play-offs shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility.

Comment

Great win for Posh yesterday too. Won 3-0 against a team that finished a place above us last year. We're looking good this season

Comment

Ipswich 4 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday

A bloody great game indeed where Ipswich - as Sheff Wed manager said so himself - were on a kamikaze mission and got plenty of shots on the goal throughout the game although we were stronger in the first half whereas we defended very well in the second half.

It was an enjoyable match to watch indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
            Ipswich 4 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday

A bloody great game indeed where Ipswich - as Sheff Wed manager said so himself - were on a kamikaze mission and got plenty of shots on the goal throughout the game although we were stronger in the first half whereas we defended very well in the second half.

It was an enjoyable match to watch indeed.
            Yeah I must admit that it was a good result for your lot yesterday. You should make the most of being above us in the league while it lasts though..

I'm happy enough with our result yesterday, especially considering we were missing a couple of key players (Hucks and Cureton) and it will take a few games for all our new players to gel and get used to playing together.

Saints next Saturday and I just hope they defend like they did against Palace - you know you've got problems when Scumcroft can score a hattrick against you.

Comment

Gutted, I sometimes wonder if the some of the Sheffield Wednesday players are aware that our rivals are in the same league as us and any below par performances like that mean grief for us. Still, we now have the chance to take our anger out on a feeble Rotherham side in the cup next week.

Comment

I can't believe we lost against Oldham on Saturday. We played brilliantly and only bad luck stopped us scoring several goals. The Forest game on Saturday is going to be crucial. I think Lennon is going to have a shock when he comes up against our midfielder Ferre Bodde, the guy is incredible, best player I have seen in a swans shirt in the last decade.

Comment

You were unlucky against us, but thats the rub if the green and I suspect that the same will happen to Oldham at some point this season

Comment

Originally posted by Herbalizer View Post
                    I can't believe we lost against Oldham on Saturday. We played brilliantly and only bad luck stopped us scoring several goals. The Forest game on Saturday is going to be crucial. I think Lennon is going to have a shock when he comes up against our midfielder Ferre Bodde, the guy is incredible, best player I have seen in a swans shirt in the last decade.
                    Good luck mate. We only have one attacker fit at the moment and he's not got the best record for us.

Because Forest and Swansea didn't get off to a good start it's a must win game for us both, so early on in the season.

Comment

Great result for Watford after being 1-0 down with 4 minutes left. Admittedly, 2nd half we were crap and we still almost conceded a goal after having gone 2-1 up with 20 seconds to go! Played some nice stuff in the 1st half though and if Marlon King stays fit (and no-one signs him in January) think we can be pushing for promotion. Big game next weekend at home to Sheff Utd - Could do with a win to get the confidence sky high.

Comment

Watching saints now. Posh striker Mclean = Xzibit

Comment

I'm listening to this on the radio - go us

EDIT:
                          Last edited by toythatkills; 13-08-2007, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                            Watching saints now. Posh striker Mclean = Xzibit
                            LOL, was thinking the same mate.

2-1 to the Posh tho. Oh dear.

Comment

Saints didn't play that badly, but we desperately need more experience at the back, and I think Adam Hammill needs to be given a go. I also thought Wright Phillips was crap, to be honest. I don't think he is good enough at this level.

Not taking away from Posh though, what a lovely footballing side they look. Boyd, Lee and Mclean all look fantastic young players, and they should do well this season, providing their tendency to play flowing footy on the deck isn't their undoing in a division where big, strong teams who lump it up in the air tend to escape.

Comment

Working...
                              X