PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

abigsmurf
12-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Not sure if I'm the only Chelsea fan here but Chelsea are in much need of an up to date thread (couldn't see a chelsea thread for a while and may as well start one for the new season).

Watched the Birmingham game and I have to say, up front I thought we looked really good, lots of chances with varied build ups and we should've dominated the whole game. Unfortunately our defence looked really shaky and Birmingham goes goals that came out of nowhere and we had to ordeal a tense final 15 minutes. would be just our luck for us to get an unlucky goal costing points when Liverpool and Arsenal got some luck in their favour.

Hopefully the defence was just slightly off today because I thought we looked decent today.

saif
13-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Not a Chelsea fan but, on MOTD2 I did think they played with a lot of drive. Poor at the back but I feel Mourinho risked it against Birmingham but will be more compressed against more dangerous teams. Quite impressed with Wright-Philips actually and I don't really like him.

Psycho Mantis
15-08-2007, 10:28 PM
You're not the only Chelsea-fan here, abigsmurf.;)

I was at the bridge when we played Birmingham, and I thought we played very well, but our defence was a bit shaky.

The shaky bit wasn't gone against Reading, and we overall had a crap first half as well, but second half was great, and Jos? made some good, though "scary" changes to our team. But even though he gambled a lot at the back, we kept possession, and kept going forward. Should maybe have gotten a third goal as well, but 2-1 is enough to get three points, so I'm happy!:thumb:

abigsmurf
15-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Good early lead over Man U. Just got that Liverpool game to worry about now..

Terry did a full training session earlier in the week so it's possible he'll be fit

abigsmurf
19-08-2007, 03:54 PM
not a great first half, SWP was playing in a strange position and out defence was shaky again

Baseley09
23-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Why are Chelsea buying a 31 yr old Brazilian right back when they have Ferrera & Glen Johnson already?

SharkSkin-Man
23-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Why are Chelsea buying a 31 yr old Brazilian right back when they have Ferrera & Glen Johnson already?

Ferreira is a terrible player. Crap going forward, crap going the other way too - definately the worst 1st team player at Chelsea.

Baseley09
23-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Ferreira is a terrible player. Crap going forward, crap going the other way too - definately the worst 1st team player at Chelsea.

Well a weak link he may be, but they did win back to back titles with him playing. Johnson needs games.

saif
24-08-2007, 09:13 AM
They have desparately needed cover at right back for a while. I think Ferreira is not bad but he cost a lot and isn't *quite* that good. Its a clever enough buy I feel, not too much and it is really for cover.

abigsmurf
02-09-2007, 04:52 PM
We play all that 'beautiful football' and do nothing. Aston Villa get two chances, scores them both...

What good is all the fancy footwork of SWP if he can't deliver a quality final ball most of the time?

Leon Retro
02-09-2007, 06:09 PM
A poor performance. We had some chances, but nothing seemed to work. Overall, a boring display.

I don't think Shaun Wright-Phillips is good enough. He wastes chances, and simply isn't sharp enough.

Lots of room for improvement. Injury woes again though.

Salsa Party Animal
02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I am very happy to see Villa beat Chelsea :) We deserve to win. I think Chelsea rely too much on 2 wide men as Villa got 5 central defenders and Reo Coker it is hard to break down them.

It is nice debut for Zak Knight. A former Fulham player and Villa fan score on his debut and a clean sheet against his previous local rival at home.

That will be payback time for the damn FA Cup Final 2000 ARGGHH

Game wasn't that exciting though as it is a battle.

saif
02-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Will watch tonight but, according to the radio up to 85 mins (maybe even the end) it sounded like Carson had NO saves to maker. If the Drog has injuries, that is a problem.

Kongster
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Chelsea dominated possession but having said that, they hardly tested the Villa keeper. Villa weren't exactly brilliant themselves but they dealt with everything Chelsea threw at them, and took their chances when they came.

abigsmurf
15-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a completely outrageous offside decision that disallowed. Sounds like Shevchenko is now officially a complete liability by all the chances he missed.

*sigh*

Our early lead over Man U decimated...

Kongster
15-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Heh, it's very tight at the top and at the moment, any one of the so called "big four" teams can win it.

I'll look forward to playing you lot at Old Trafford on the 23rd. ;)

abigsmurf
20-09-2007, 09:34 AM
so, given this morning's bombshell, what do people predict from the team?

I think lampard will leave at the end of the season for sure. I would hope a fresh management attitude will get something from ballack and shevchenko but I've a horrible feeling we could be dragged down into mediocracy by players lacking motivation.

Leon Retro
25-09-2007, 02:16 AM
so, given this morning's bombshell, what do people predict from the team?

I think lampard will leave at the end of the season for sure. I would hope a fresh management attitude will get something from ballack and shevchenko but I've a horrible feeling we could be dragged down into mediocracy by players lacking motivation.

It's a very bleak time for Chelsea. All my mates are gutted, as are most fans I see.

Our performance against Man.Utd was abysmal. No passion, nothing. I think the whole episode has affected the players.

The new manager looks totally stressed. He knows the fans loved Mourinho, and will see him as part of the betrayal. I don't think he'll succeed as manager.

If the club can find a good manager with charisma, fairly soon, I think Lampard and co, will stay. The next few months will be interesting.

abigsmurf
25-09-2007, 05:52 PM
We weren't good for 60 minutes, we had good possesion until the ref's cheque finally clear but we never looked like scoring.

Shevchenko is just two slow and completely oblivious. He takes 2 touches when he needs to try one, he runs when he shouldn't, he lets balls go past him (there was a great cross but he didn't even bother to make a run). I'm praying this grant gives him a kick because he's had his chance and he's nothing but a liability at the moment.

Leon Retro
26-09-2007, 09:09 AM
We weren't good for 60 minutes, we had good possesion until the ref's cheque finally clear but we never looked like scoring.

Shevchenko is just two slow and completely oblivious. He takes 2 touches when he needs to try one, he runs when he shouldn't, he lets balls go past him (there was a great cross but he didn't even bother to make a run). I'm praying this grant gives him a kick because he's had his chance and he's nothing but a liability at the moment.

Alan Hansen said that Chelsea have two many mediocre players. Quite a few people we've bought over the past two years, are simply average players.

I agree with him. Shaun Wright Phillips would never play for Barcelona or a similar big european team. Shevchenko is way past his prime, and Ben Haim doesn't seem good enough.

Maybe Mourinho had felt too pressurised for a long time, and lacking support from the men in charge. If he had been treated better, and his vision was allowed to develop without others interfering- then we would probably have a stronger team now.

Chelsea have been going downhill, rather than up, over the past year or so. Our defence has been a joke at times, and when key players are injured, the whole team are shaky.

The question now is: Who would chelsea fans like to see managing the team?

Ajay1986
26-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Something that has always bugged me about Chelsea is why have they loaned out Crespo for 3 seasons in a row now. Sorry but id have Crespo everytime over Shevchenko and Pizzaro, i just dont understand why they wouldnt want a truly world class striker. Is there some information im missing or something.

abigsmurf
26-09-2007, 09:27 AM
SWP has so much potential which is why Jose stuck with him. He's one of the fastest players in the EPL but his final ball lets him down all the time. He does basic mistakes like looking at the ball when doing crosses rather than looking at where he's placing the ball. If he could learn good practices he could be a world class player.

Ben Haim... He's ok but not amazing, he should be used as cover rather than regular first team.

There's no doubt we need a quality striker, we either need another Drogba to muscle through 10 men stuck in the box for 90 mins or we need a player who can turn on the flair. Crespo did underperform when playing for us but he was an option who did change games. I get the impression he wasn't too happy at chelsea which is why he's on loan.

Chelsea had great possesion in the Man U game but we never did anything with the ball and were poor as a result. We're simply wasting our chances due to donkeys up front who seem to have the skills of an inexperienced youth player but none of the passion.

On The Edge of Insanity
26-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Crespo was 'homesick' and wanted to return to play in Italy. I think he pretty much refused to stay at Chelsea.

Its a pity for them, because he really is a world class striker, his movement is exceptional, and his strike rate was pretty good in a Chelsea shirt.

Leon Retro
27-09-2007, 05:19 AM
SWP has so much potential which is why Jose stuck with him. He's one of the fastest players in the EPL but his final ball lets him down all the time. He does basic mistakes like looking at the ball when doing crosses rather than looking at where he's placing the ball. If he could learn good practices he could be a world class player.

Ben Haim... He's ok but not amazing, he should be used as cover rather than regular first team.

I have nothing against SWP as a person, but as a player, I don't think he's champion league material. I've never enjoyed seeing him play for Chelsea. He runs fast, but loses the ball, or makes bad crosses. Yeah... he gets the odd goal, but he never convinces.

Ben Haim is definitely a bench warmer. I wouldn't like to see him play every match.

The Crespo situation is interesting. It shows how some players just don't fit in at a club, or like a particular country or area. I think that's why a lot of Brazilan players don't come to England, simply because they prefer Spain, Italy. It's a cultural climate thing.

We have some great players at the club, but when they are out of the picture, we often look shaky, weak, and it's not good enough.

abigsmurf
27-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Good confidence boosting result yesterday. Hopefully it'll ease pressure on the players a bit.

Also: fourth game in a row with bad referreeing for chelsea. I know it doesn't really matter given the result but those were two of the most blatent penalties you'll ever see, on one of them he was holding onto a guys leg with both arms!

Leon Retro
27-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Good confidence boosting result yesterday. Hopefully it'll ease pressure on the players a bit.

Also: fourth game in a row with bad referreeing for chelsea. I know it doesn't really matter given the result but those were two of the most blatent penalties you'll ever see, on one of them he was holding onto a guys leg with both arms!

Refs seem to be getting worse. I guess they're getting their own back for all the criticism they receive. " You think we make bad decisions? You aint seen nothing yet" :lol:

I wish the FA would invest in robots, or maybe cyborg refs. :rolleyes:

abigsmurf
29-09-2007, 03:56 PM
0-0

*sigh*

We were poor from what I heard. Svechenko effectively booed off the pitch, Drogba comes back only to get sent off, Terry breaks his cheekbone...

It's looking extremely likely Grant will go and I think we've got to offload shevchenko and get someone who's able to score in January. Looking like it's a rough time for chelsea fans.

Leon Retro
03-10-2007, 07:03 AM
0-0

It's looking extremely likely Grant will go and I think we've got to offload shevchenko and get someone who's able to score in January. Looking like it's a rough time for chelsea fans.

I read that Drogba was very annoyed about the Mourinho situation. I guess a lot of the players are.

The team don't seem as focused, and everything is up in the air at the moment.

Grant doesn't seem to have much charisma. Even the most boring managers, seem to have a lot more than he has shown so far. It's early days though, but first impressions aren't good.

I get the feeling that this season is a write-off, but maybe not, who knows? ... Chelsea need to make changes, and build a stronger team etc...

Charlie
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
0-0
Yeah, Shevy definately needs to go. He's had ample time to prove his worth but it's becoming evident he cannot settle into Chelsea/the English game. As for it being a rough time for Chelsea fans, I suppose it is, but for us long time supporters we've experienced much worse.

Ajay1986
03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
I'll be interested to see if Grant makes any purchases in the January Window.

abigsmurf
03-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah there have been rough times but the difference is that we've never had this much venom from the press.

As for January, if we don't get a striker it'll be a disaster. Gettin Ronaldinho (sp?) would possibly be a godsend but he wasn't on form last season and it wouldn't help our 'buying the championship' reputation. Still if anything Grant has shown that it wasn't (just) the money that made us so good

abigsmurf
03-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Didn't have a lot of faith tonight... But we did good.

We made lots of stupid errors initially one of which led to their goal but we were good and Drogba's goal was great. No matter how many times I see it though our first goal looked an own goal.

Hopefully this'll calm the press down a bit.

abigsmurf
08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
sounds like we were semi-back to form with a decent number of chances yesterday. The highlights showed on MOTD seemed to make it seem the game was all bolton which was different from what the radio sounded like. Still when you've an aftermatch that talked almost all about how good bolton were and didn't even show the chelsea goal, it does make you wonder about bias...

Pavey
18-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Drogba gone to Barca!

Sort Of! ;) (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7051285.stm)

abigsmurf
27-10-2007, 04:05 PM
6-0 against a side on very good form. Looks like we're back!

Malavon
27-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Just watched the MOTD highlights and Lampard looked like he had a good first half, set up first two goals. Sublime pass for Drogbas first.

God awful defending though from City.

abigsmurf
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Great weekend of results for us, puts us back in the title race

abigsmurf
06-11-2007, 08:44 PM
worst performance this year, very lucky to get a point.

abigsmurf
24-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Good win.

As is typical of the BBC it was goals only and in the post match they only talked about the red card (didn't show the elbow that got of scot free minutes before) and the disallowed goal...

Does annoy...

rmoxon
24-11-2007, 10:59 PM
To be honest its more annoying that Derby had a goal disalowed that was onside and they deserved somthing out of the game. Chelsea wernt that great today, well, they havent been all season.

saif
25-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Tell that to Man City!!!

rmoxon
25-11-2007, 03:57 AM
I would, but they are probabaly angry that they were outclased by an average team, and I guess I should stop picking on chealsea too, I dont want lampard to beat me up, he dosent do much on the pitch so much have plenty of energy for killing people.

abigsmurf
28-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Chelsea were a whole different class in the first half against Rosenburg. Suspect 2nd half will be fairly slow though

1xc45-3444
28-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Rosenburg got owned :D

abigsmurf
01-12-2007, 01:40 PM
ground out that win. Goal was probably just offside but we deserved to win overall

Leon Retro
19-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think Chelsea are out of the title race, but they are lacking team-spirit at the moment. It's a shame that some of our best players are out. Drogba has become a player that we really need to inspire others.

Grant doesn't seem to have any charisma. Maybe the players don't think he's very inspiring? ... Time will tell, but the papers are talking about a possible new manager, sooner rather than later.

abigsmurf
19-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Grant will be tested in the transfer window. We need a quality striker, Schevchenko isn't good enough. Also should be playing SWP as much as he is. As he stands at the moment he's an awful crosser

gingerj
19-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Out: Sheva, SWP, Kalou, Obi Mikel, Ferreria
In: Anelka, Deco or Diago, Joaquin, Navas

Then start to play some of the wealth english talent chelsea have especially with Sinclair and Mancienne.

Leon Retro
20-12-2007, 03:59 PM
We beat Liverpool :thumb:

Lampard really showed a positive spirit last night. Even Shevchenko was more energetic. :w00t:

Always great to beat Liverpool. :thumb:

Other news: Chelsea sign new Argentine Wonderkid Franco Di Santo. He will join the team on the 1st of January.

http://www.supergol.com.ar/advf/imagenes/46b86e25425d5_290x194.jpg Looks like Ronaldinho

abigsmurf
20-12-2007, 10:36 PM
he's nowhere near as ugly as ronaldinho

Will have a read about him. we need someone who's able to take advantage of the large amount of possesion we are getting around the box at the moment.

And yes beating Liverpool is ever so sweet

abigsmurf
29-12-2007, 09:15 PM
sounds like a shocking offside decision but we made enough chances to perhaps justify the result. Makes up for an awful 'offside' decision against drogba earlier on in the season that cost us points.

saif
30-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Seemed like both goals had a hint of dodge about them. Chelsea are really bubbling under I feel. Picking up points but not alerting many people to their presence. Playing some good stuff at times.

abigsmurf
30-12-2007, 01:10 PM
it would've been incredibly harsh to give a handball in the first goal.

Don't forget chelsea are a team without drogba, shevchenko, down to third choice keeper, have both terry and carvalhio out. Doing pretty well given the circumstances.

With African nations coming up our problems will only get worse. Grant needs to buy a quality striker

Ajay1986
30-12-2007, 01:23 PM
What they really need to do is get rid of that Goblin looking freak Kalou.

Big Seany
11-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Chelsea have signed Nicolas Anelka for £15m on a four and a half year deal. He could figure tomorrow against Spurts apparently. Great signing for the Blues. He is a proven goalscorer and you can't ask for any more than that at this level, Brian.

MarioMark
11-01-2008, 03:00 PM
How many clubs he played for now? It feels like he's been around for years.

glazza
11-01-2008, 03:38 PM
How many clubs he played for now? It feels like he's been around for years.

Arsenal ,Liverpool, Man City, Bolton n Real madrid there may be others lol.

As a Man U fan i would have loved us to buy Anelka he would fit in with any teams formation plus he makes goals as well as scores them and hes rareley gits injured but not be be for us but good luck to him in his new adventure.

SharkSkin-Man
11-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Paris Saint-Germain
Arsenal
Real Madrid
Paris Saint-Germain (again)
Liverpool (loan)
Manchester City
Fenerbah?e
Bolton Wanderers
Chelsea

His goal scoring record is less good than I thought, goal every 3.something games.

RustyS Badge
11-01-2008, 03:47 PM
PSG and Fenerbahce too. It feels like he's been around ages cos he has. Played for Arsenal at 17 iirc.

MonkeyJuggleDX
11-01-2008, 04:45 PM
On the downside... We've lost him.

On the upside... Bugger, Megson is gonna sign the same kinda squad player as Lee did, so there is no upside :(

Leon Retro
12-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Anelka is known to have a bit of an attitude problem. I hope he has matured. He's a good goal scorer, Chelsea need him, I hope he fits in. I think things should work out well. :)

abigsmurf
10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Liverpool defending deep the entire match. Boring as hell, to think Liverpool were supposed to be title contenders. Ref was poor too, killing any chance of an open game.

Should've created more chances though. But this was just like the champions league games against them where Liverpool killed the game and hoped for lucky goals.

hudson
10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Playing away though innit? It's frustrating for the home side innit? You lot were a bit poo today. We should of had a bit more of a go, yeah, but it was always gonna be tight. Bitter Champ League blues still hungover. Get over it. YNWA ;)

abigsmurf
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
but when you're supposed to be competing for the title, you don't do what liverpool did, heck they needed a win to compete for a champions league spot. Only goes to prove that Benitez won't win the premiereship.

We were poor though, the more players we get back to give us options the better.

hudson
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Sorry, but have you not seen the dark scenes at Anfield this season? Umpteen draws, not killing games after doing well and getting punished for it? Along with the rumblings from behind the scenes?

Our title chase was over before xmas. We're fighting for a champ league spot, most likely 4th. A loss today would not of been too bright.

abigsmurf
10-02-2008, 05:49 PM
How does Benetez expect to suddenly turn it on next year? He's not going to have a new squad, he's going to have a few new players. The rest of the squad will be well practised and used to these defeatist tactics.

Ajay1986
10-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I also see no point whatsoever in Liverpool playing for the draw. As it stands they are only fighting for 4th place, they really really needed to win both the games in hand to give themselves a 2 point gap over the now really solid Everton.

Now they have left themselves embroiled with Everton, Villa and City and with Liverpool's inconsistency they aren't exactly guaranteed 4th spot now.

mr_sockochris
10-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Ha, it took Chelsea 81mins to have a meaningful shot at goal, not quite sure how we can be accused of being defensive but there you go....

Ajay1986
10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe it had something to do with the constant time wasting.

hudson
10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Im sure they didnt set out for a draw. Tough game away to Chelsea. We got a point out of it. I wouldn't say we 'really, really' needed to win that game. We can still do it. I think Bigsmurf is upset we didn't win or let them in to score (?)

jezzace
10-02-2008, 06:17 PM
It seemed to me like in the first half liverpool had the majority of chances. Only in the last 15mins or so did it look like they were satisfied with a draw. I think the ref ruined it a little by stopping play for every single set play, i reckon.

mr_sockochris
10-02-2008, 06:56 PM
The ref spoilt the second half, kept stopping it all the time for the most minor things, totally killed what little rhythm the game had.

On a side note, I'd love to know what Crouch has done to offend referees. Seems like he can't do anything anymore without a foul being called against him. There were 3 calls today that were totally mindblowing.

Leon Retro
17-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Lampard looked reinvigorated. It was great to see :thumb:

Seeing that Arsenal can be poor, and that Man.utd always have bad days, I think Chelsea still have a reasonable chance of winning the league. :)

abigsmurf
17-02-2008, 03:13 PM
We have a better shot than tabloids give us credit for. For the first time we're up to a full strength squad and Man U and Arsenal have to come to us AND play each other. If we can our games against both of them we stand a good chance of winning and will probably at least finish second.

Leon Retro
18-02-2008, 05:14 AM
We have a better shot than tabloids give us credit for. For the first time we're up to a full strength squad and Man U and Arsenal have to come to us AND play each other. If we can our games against both of them we stand a good chance of winning and will probably at least finish second.

Yeah.. it's far from over. There is much more drama to come :)

abigsmurf
20-02-2008, 12:46 PM
boring 0-0. Weren't playing to win, would've easily won if we'd tried but didn't seem bothered, both through the tactics used and the way players performed. Good enough but it would've been nice to have a low pressure game at stamford bridge.

Also, Athram Grant got sent a packaged with white powder and a death threat in it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7254547.stm

saif
20-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I remember when he joined some Chelsea "fans" threatened some stuff cos he was Jewish". Twats pervade life everywhere I guess.

Jebus
24-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Why did Chelsea buy Anelka to put him wide left? That's exactly what Big Sam did with him in his first season for us, it didn't work. Once we played him down the middle we got success, goals and ended up losing him.

abigsmurf
24-02-2008, 05:28 PM
gutted at the loss today. We weren't good enough and didn't have enough drive for most of the game.

Leon Retro
25-02-2008, 06:34 AM
It's a shame that the linesman got the penalty wrong, and how ridiculous the last moments were( the ref was out of order ) .... but we didn't play well at all.

The formation was a mess, the players looked mostly clueless, and Tottenham had far more passion for trying to score.

Oh well... I hope the manager learns from it.

abigsmurf
25-02-2008, 12:45 PM
We didn't deserve the win. You could tell after a minute chelsea were a mess. Seems possible that the poor champions league performance wasn't just playing for a draw. Grant seemed to be using the game to experiment with Anelka and Drogba. He should've just dropped one of them rather than mess around in such an important game.

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come, Grant has done well with limited choice due to ACON and injuries but he needs to make good team choices now.

abigsmurf
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
3-0. Nice message to send to the press so far.

Lampard has just been sent off in a really really pathetic decision

abigsmurf
01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
back in the title race again. Man U and Arsenal both have to come to us. We win those...

abigsmurf
06-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Good performance and a solid win there. Was genuinely worried about yesterday's game (an away girl could've been fatal). However the Sky commentary really pissed me off. They gave Chelsea very little credit and instead spent ages going on about how awful Olympiacos were and how they were embarassingly bad and so on.

If it had been Liverpool or Man U playing it would've been "how amazing and powerful they are". But then the press never give us credit. They're still continuing to ignore how good are chances are at the EPL (especially if we win both home games against man u and arsenal).

hudson
06-03-2008, 12:07 PM
and I thought the only bitter blues were Evertonians ;) I'm not sure if they're same good team they were when we beat them in 2005 CL. Away girl? :D

Kongster
06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Watch Chelsea draw Barcelona in the next round. Or Liverpool lol

hudson
06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Or Liverpool lol

That would be great.

(To the tune of the okey cokey)

Did the ball go in?
Did the ball stay out?
In out, In out
The Kop had no doubt
We all went to Istanbul
And Chelsea went out
And that's what it's all about!

We're
The European Champions
The European Champions
The European Champions
And that's what it's all about!

Kongster
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
So history can repeat itself, eh? ;)

hudson
06-03-2008, 12:27 PM
What, we make them cry again? Too right.

Kongster
06-03-2008, 12:28 PM
LOL, I mean eliminating 'em in dramatic or controversial circumstances

hudson
06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
They love it. I enjoyed the penos last year. With Bhudda Rafa on touch line having a laugh.

gBik9jYvTlw

abigsmurf
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Watch Chelsea draw Barcelona in the next round. Or Liverpool lol

It's going to happen, those are the only two teams we ever get drawn against. I'm hoping to god it's not another Liverpool game. playing against 10 men in the box for 180 minutes with them hoping they get a lucky break isn't the great European football I'd hope for in the CL

hudson
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Nah, Torres will have other ideas ;)

MarioMark
08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Can't believe Barnsley are winning this! If they beat Chelsea then that's two Champions League teams they've knocked out! :ph34r:

Bet the last 10 minutes will be all Chelsea.

toythatkills
08-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Barnsley for the cup!

Fiver says they beat Chelsea then go out to Bristol Rovers in the semi final.

Kongster
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
C'mon Barnsley! XD

MarioMark
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I think they'll take that for a chance in the final.

I'm glad it's looking like the top 4 aren't in, it gets boring with the same old teams. At Wembley most Chelsea fans hardly cheered last season when they won the cup. :rolleyes:

Rossco
08-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Wow, this is tense!

Kongster
08-03-2008, 06:18 PM
The magic of the FA Cup is well and truly alive!

Congratulations Barnsley! XD

Myth
08-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Pitch invasion ftw.

MarioMark
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Maybe Barnsley should have their own thread now they're a big club! :lol:

Takes the embarrassment away from Liverpool a little anyway.

Rossco
08-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Mental, Liverpool then Chelsea. How do they do that!

abigsmurf
08-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Grant's got to go.

It's unacceptable repeating what he did in the carling cup final. We dominated possession but never ever looked like scoring (aside from the moment with perhaps the worst offside decision in history).

We were passing it around and inside their box and no one was shooting. You can't pass the ball into the goal. We were unmotivated, not playing well together and sluggish in every area.

How are we supposed to win against Arsenal and Man U to be in with a chance with the league or play against the big guns in the CL with this manager who has no idea about tactics. We played better when half our team was out with injury and ACoN

Kongster
08-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I wish Barnsley all the best for the remainder of the competition and I hope they go all the way.

glazza
08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
At least Pompey had to ride there luck today a hell of alot but i cant say the same for Barnsley as Chelsea was realy poor all over the pitch and i cant remmeber Luke Steel making one save!!

Good luck Barnsley.

yesteryeargames
08-03-2008, 06:52 PM
i agree glazza, they outplayed chelsea, barnsley deserve to go all the way

saturn-gamer
08-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Word has it that Grant will be replaced by Rijkaard.

But this is quite the accomplishment by Barnsley, go for it all imo!

Leon Retro
08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
:scared: Did Chelsea perform that badly on purpose? :s

It's like they were drugged, had jelly legs, not a clue. :(

Barnsley were good, they didn't do anything stupid, but Chelsea really were a joke.

A disgrace. Liverpool are a very dodgy team, it wasn't majorly surprising that Barnsley beat them, but Chelsea can be such a good team, why so bad today?

NW2013
08-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Grant seems to be completely tactically inept. Anelka and Drogba aren't the same player so why play the same system? If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be thinking Kalou, Malouda and Pizarro aren't good enough for the club. If they don't make a major impact in the champions league now I'd expect Grant and many players to be gone in the summer.

ezee ryder
08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Wow, I was just informed that Barnsley knocked Chelsea out. Speechless! First time for a while one of the top 4 won't win the FA Cup.

Leon Retro
09-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Grant seems to be completely tactically inept. Anelka and Drogba aren't the same player so why play the same system? If I were a Chelsea fan I'd be thinking Kalou, Malouda and Pizarro aren't good enough for the club. If they don't make a major impact in the champions league now I'd expect Grant and many players to be gone in the summer.

If we win the Champions League, or the Premiership, all the fans will like Grant, but at the moment things don't look promising.

Kalou looked really poor today. I thought he looked promising at the start of the season, but he hasn't really impressed me overall. Kalou, Pizzaro, Wright Phillips, I don't rate them.

As much as Chelsea have spent over the past few years, it's still a fact that quite a few players on the team aren't good enough for a club that wants to really play stylish football and win a lot of accolades.

Drogba is on his way out. Anelka may not be as good as we had hoped. I think we're still a good team, just not brilliant. There needs to be some very positive buying and selling over the next 6months.

abigsmurf
19-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Important night tonight and over the Easter Weekend. This week could be the premiership decider for us

Kongster
19-03-2008, 03:54 PM
C'mon Spurs! :P

Leon Retro
20-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Chelsea played far better football overall, but stupid mistakes spoilt everything.

If only all the team were as focused as Joe Cole; he was awesome.

Spurs are a good team, but Chelsea really should have won. It'll probably be the match that scuppered our chance of winning the title.

Ashley Cole needs to see a shrink. Talk about attitude. :s

B1gBeard
20-03-2008, 07:45 AM
If we win the Champions League, or the Premiership, all the fans will like Grant, but at the moment things don't look promising.

Kalou looked really poor today. I thought he looked promising at the start of the season, but he hasn't really impressed me overall. Kalou, Pizzaro, Wright Phillips, I don't rate them.

As much as Chelsea have spent over the past few years, it's still a fact that quite a few players on the team aren't good enough for a club that wants to really play stylish football and win a lot of accolades.

Drogba is on his way out. Anelka may not be as good as we had hoped. I think we're still a good team, just not brilliant. There needs to be some very positive buying and selling over the next 6months.

Isn't it just impossible though to get players in every position who are good enough? I would say even at teams like Barca and ManU there are players who could be replaced with better ones or there are players who are not good enough in comparison to the rest of the squad.

I think its just the way it is. Even if a team had 100's of millions to spend in the summer you still couldn't do it as most teams wouldn't sell their best players anyway. I think people would have more respect for Chelsea if they had a manager who got the best out of the great squad they have rather than spend another fortune.

abigsmurf
20-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Have to win against arsenal now. A draw will hand the title to Man U. Hopefully Liverpool will do us a favour

Kongster
20-03-2008, 12:06 PM
If Mourinho was still the gaffer at Chelsea, he have would ensured that Chelsea would have seen out the game and hang on to the win.

Chelsea sold it and they only have themselves to blame for dropping points in the title race. XD

toythatkills
20-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Ashley Cole needs to see a shrink. Talk about attitude. :s

His challenge was mental

abigsmurf
23-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Have to get a win today to stay in the race and need to hope Liverpool do us a favour.

abigsmurf
23-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Great result for us, shame the liverpool result didn't go our way but if we can beat Man U at home, we've a really good chance at the title.

Leon Retro
24-03-2008, 04:00 AM
:thumb: Beating Arsenal was great.

I thought Arsenal played well in the first half, but it was quite even. Chelsea really went up a gear though, and we got a good win.

I didn't think Liverpool could upset Man.utd. I doubt that Arsenal can beat them.

At least things are going to be exciting. :)

neverevertrevor
24-03-2008, 07:56 AM
As a Man Utd fan, chelsea winning yesterday was about the last result I was wanting, with a visit to stamford bridge still to come, It leaves the league wide open for me!

abigsmurf
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
good performance first half. winning 1-0 to an own goal doesn't really reflect how much control we have over the game

abigsmurf
02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
*sigh* 2-1 down.

We fail to capitalise when we were dominating and Grant got overconfident and didn't react to fenerbache coming back into the game...

ezee ryder
02-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Interesting result if it stays this way.

Kongster
02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Good!:P

abigsmurf
02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Grant's got to go. That loss was completely unacceptable. We controlled it for most of the game and he thought a 1-0 was somehow good enough. We go 2-1 down and he doesn't change the system.

He's losing the big games, regardless of the opposition. He seems completely inept and stuff like this seems to suggest the Arsenal game was a lucky fluke rather than smart tactical changes.

ezee ryder
02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Oh my what a winning goal by Deivid, think he more than made up for his rather unfortunate own goal!

Ajay1986
02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
That was a bloody quality strike for the winner, he struck it from standing when the ball was just about dead but still got outrageous power on it. Kazim Richards goal was very well taken as well.

Baseley09
03-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Kazim Richards roffle

Relegated with Brighton?

euro beater haha

abigsmurf
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
We're in an incredibly strong position for the title now. Just got to hope arsenal take points from man U

ezee ryder
07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Did I miss something?! I thought Man Utd were still 3 points clear at the top of the table :s

abigsmurf
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
1-0 which is good. Down to our third choice yet again We've the best keepers in the premiereship but they're cursed it seems

abigsmurf
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Hilario saved us there. Not looking great but there's not long left

abigsmurf
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
2-0 \o/ can breathe a bit now

abigsmurf
08-04-2008, 08:35 PM
through, was a bit too tense really, need to score more when we have possession like that.

abigsmurf
13-04-2008, 04:53 PM
god dammit other teams never do us a favour. The title is man U's

neoboy259
13-04-2008, 05:01 PM

what do you mean by teams never doing you a favour? if you didnt drop points at Villa, Portsmouth, at home to Bolton or away to Newcastle you'd be top.

More like you havent done yourselves any favours! :D

ezee ryder
13-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Your posts are rather hilarious mate. No-one does anyone favours in professional footbal mate. If you watched the game today Arsenal were going for the win, even when they were 2-1 down they kept at it and could have got an equaliser. The title is not over yet anyway, we have to go to Blackburn yet and still have to play you lots. It certainly looks good for us but we need to win our next 2 league games to "wrap" it up.

Leon Retro
14-04-2008, 04:25 PM

It's funny that we wanted Arsenal to do us a favour, when they despise us, but obviously it would have been great if they had beaten Man.utd.

Arsenal did try. It should have been a draw.

Oh well... we still have hope. :)

abigsmurf
14-04-2008, 09:01 PM
DAMMIT GRANT

another game against a poor side where we've thrown it away. He has got to go, no ifs, no buts. Even if we win the Champions league (not gonna happen with his tactics) my opinion will be the same.

Leon Retro
15-04-2008, 08:05 PM
DAMMIT GRANT

another game against a poor side where we've thrown it away. He has got to go, no ifs, no buts. Even if we win the Champions league (not gonna happen with his tactics) my opinion will be the same.

Yep... we blew it. I didn't watch the match, but you'd expect to score at least two against Wigan.

abigsmurf
17-04-2008, 10:32 PM
awful awful game but we got the result.

abigsmurf
19-04-2008, 04:40 PM
1-0 to Blackburn. Come on blackburn!

abigsmurf
19-04-2008, 06:06 PM
damn 1-1. Oh well, at least it's impossible for Man U to win it at stamford bridge

arcnas
19-04-2008, 06:07 PM
no not realy with the goal difference a win at the bridge will do it, but Utd wont win there i doubt, a massive massive point to keep it in there hands though , lose at the bridge and still win the last 2 is enough.

abigsmurf
19-04-2008, 06:29 PM
They can't win there. For them to be handed the trophy it has to be a certainty.

abigsmurf
22-04-2008, 07:31 PM
1-0. Looks like it's going to happen again for Liverpool. Soft decision that led to a quick free kick getting us exposed but we made 3 mistakes leading up to it and should've cleared it.

Never really looked like scoring, no doubt Grant will show his tactical genius by changing nothing in the second half.

Kongster
22-04-2008, 07:37 PM
There can be no doubts about whether the ball crossed the line at the Kop end this time LOL.

Chelsea are a bit unlucky to be one nil down having started well, but they got punished for not clearing their lines for Kuyt's goal.

hudson
22-04-2008, 07:38 PM
It's tight still. Didn't see the 'soft' free kick, mind. Like the way you only have to look a Drogba and it's a free kick :D Nah, he is dangerous.. no doubt.

VR46
22-04-2008, 08:06 PM
End to end stuff, Liverpool have started well after the break though. We need to keep a clean sheet.

Rossco
22-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Bloody hell! How did that happen!? :lol:

hudson
22-04-2008, 08:33 PM
haha you lucky bastards!

ezee ryder
22-04-2008, 08:35 PM
That goal could be crucial.

hudson
22-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Aye, a nice gift. Hopefully we'll friggin rape them at thy bridge. Will be better now we need to score.... I hope. Oops... I looked at Drogba and the ball went in the goal... and he fell over too.

Shurrup Lamps, you didn't deserve a goal out of that. You stink of Terry's.

[EDIT] PS. I'm not being aggressive here. Just happily passionatte.

Kongster
22-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Liverpool will be disappointed with themselves as they were in control and gave away a cheap own goal. Just would why Riise chose to head the ball and not kick it away I don't know.

hudson
22-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Liverpool will be disappointed with themselves as they were in control and gave away a cheap goal. Just would why Riise chose to head the ball and not kick it away I don't know.

The Torres chance in the first half... you'd put your house on him scoring that. Poopio!

Kongster
22-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Indeed. He got a bit of rough treatment by Terry and co, too..

VR46
22-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Yep we should have killed the tie early on, got to score at Stamford Bridge now.

abigsmurf
22-04-2008, 08:46 PM
We got a bit of luck against Liverpool. Clearly something is deeply wrong.

Was gearing up for a rant against Avram (putting on anelka 5 minutes from time...). We were poor but thankfully Liverpool weren't much better and Cech did well.

We *should* be favourites to win the tie now. Liverpool will have to come at us at stamford bridge and we're powerful on the counter attack and have that fearsome record.

hudson
22-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I honestly don't think a record will have us rattled for the away leg. If anything you should fear us when we're nearly out of the Champions League if you're gonna bring that to the table ;) Anyroads, I looks forward to it wearing brown trousers :D

VR46
22-04-2008, 08:52 PM
True, records are there to be broken. Bring on next Wednesday, a five nil victory by Barca tomorrow would make me feel better, but hard not to see a Man U victory or them at least scoring.

abigsmurf
22-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I think we can all agree, Barca must win by a large margin tomorrow XD

yesteryeargames
22-04-2008, 09:26 PM
wow , ive never seen chelski get late late fluky goal before, ;),
but this is the runners up semi final anyway, if utd dont win barca will,
draw on sat :) i think
come on utd :)

hudson
22-04-2008, 09:35 PM
nah, Barca are easy mate. Noooo problem.

Matt
22-04-2008, 09:53 PM
The Drogba chest thumping after the game made me laugh.

Kongster
22-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Drogba's theatrics during the game made me laugh, too.

hudson
22-04-2008, 09:55 PM
He's such a tit :D Dangerous player though.

Leon Retro
22-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Chelsea in stroke of luck shock :thumb:

It was a boring game - Liverpool played well in the first half. Chelsea underperformed, with a dodgy system.

Second half was a bit more lively - nothing brilliant to see, though.

We pushed near the end - got a lucky own goal.

Can't wait for the second leg. :)

Kongster
22-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Liverpool will be able to rest their key players going into the second leg whereas Chelsea can't.

rmoxon
22-04-2008, 11:43 PM
I love how this is the chelsea thread but this last page has just been about taking the mick out of them.....

On a serious note todays result upset me becuase as a man united fan I personaly feel that we would have dealt with liverpool easily in the final (if we get there), where as chelsea are usualy much tougher a team to play against these days (for man united I mean).

Matt
22-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Drogba's theatrics during the game made me laugh, too.

The ITV Commentators were having some fun with him. "Amazing powers of recovery" LOL.

abigsmurf
23-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I love how this is the chelsea thread but this last page has just been about taking the mick out of them.....

*notes that on any other thread people would've started whining about fans invading other teams threads*

anyhow, Benitez is moaning about the ref: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7362057.stm

Bit rich considering how much the refs helped liverpool in the previous tie and the harsh free kick that led to the goal this match

neoboy259
23-04-2008, 06:28 AM
For some strange reason, thoroughly enjoyed Chelsea's equaliser. Fancy you lot to go through and win this, you lot love cup competitions. No wonder Benitez is moaning about the ref, the fat fool's out of a job if he can't deliver something this season.

hudson
23-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I seriously doubt he will be out if he don't get any silver this season. Apart from the odd loss and a run of weird draws, we've been pret-taaay good.

neoboy259
23-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Ah I see, apologies, been out of the loop, been thinking his job's on the line following the Klinsman saga earlier in the season.

hudson
23-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I don't think Hicks would dare after the **** he got from fans for that. It'll be another season for Rafa, at least.

VR46
23-04-2008, 07:58 AM
... the fat fool's out of a job if he can't deliver something this season.

Heh I thought he was talking about Grant :lol:

Think Rafa will be at Anfield for at least another year, but you never know, his departure could easily come down to a clash of personalities rather than results, Chelsea are a fine example of that.

ExtremePabs
23-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Drogba is quite unbelievable all the talent in the world but why the hell does he fall over so much?? Does he buy his boots from the same place as Heskey?

Amazing powers of recovery though sometimes commentaters do have a sense of humour.

neoboy259
24-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Phil Thompson's reaction to the Chelsea goal is quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycbUM53mFk

illumanati2
24-04-2008, 05:44 PM
f*** off chelsea fc you aint got no history 5 european cups and 18 leagues thats what we call history- i just loved that song on tuesday lol

SharkSkin-Man
24-04-2008, 09:36 PM
er...wrong words, dude.

"...5 European Cups & 18 Leagues..."

In other news:

http://www.chelseafc.com/xxchelsea180706/index.html#/page/NewsHomePage/list_2209129_1

Thu, 24th Apr 2008
Home fixture double-headers don't come much bigger than the one Stamford Bridge hosts over the next week and while the stadium should be at its most passionate, efforts will be made to ensure it is also at its most colourful for the visit of Liverpool next week.

Flags have become as much a part of Champions League nights at the Bridge as the pre-kick-off anthem and referees from foreign parts and 30,000 new flags will be placed in the stands for next Wednesday night.

There will also be the new giants flags you may have noticed flying high in recent weeks and supporters can play their part by adding to the colour and by filling the stadium early to build the atmosphere prior to the whistle.

This season, one free flag has been placed at every other seat but against Liverpool, there will be a flag awaiting at each seat in the regular parts of the stadium.

'With it being the last Champions League game of the season at home, but hopefully not our last Champions League game, we want to have a fantastic atmosphere,' says Wesley Barton, stadium tours supervisor who is much-involved in the flag project.

'It creates a bit of atmosphere seeing that sea of blue when the players come out and it is great for TV as well.

'Anything to try to inspire the players is worth it. We have heard the players do like it and anything to give them that extra one per cent is valuable.'

At the last few matches there has been a new addition to the flags, based on successful displays originally seen in stadia overseas.

'We now have a few giant flags waved in front of the West Stand. We trialled them for a couple of Premier League games to use them for this game [liverpool]. It is some of the tour guides that actually wave them,' explains Barton.

Free flags have been placed around the stadium en masse since October last season. They were handed out in smaller numbers on entry at a few league games before that.

'The first game we placed them at the seats was when we hosted Barcelona in the group stage. We beat them 1-0 and Drogba scored that great goal. We did every seat then as well,' recalls Barton.

'Most of the fans take them home. I think most people have about ten flags in their bedroom, but we try to encourage them to bring them back as well.

'We have seen a few brought back for Premier League games and it would be great if people could keep bringing them back and build on the atmosphere.'

Embarrassed?

abigsmurf
25-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Teams only go on about history when they're poor in the present...

Lampard's out tommorrow due to his mother dying. pretty sucky for him.

abigsmurf
26-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Playing well, deserve to be winning 1-0 at half time.

ezee ryder
26-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Well done, deserved to win.

Kieran76
26-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Teams only go on about history when they're poor in the present...

Quoted for truth.

Well done Chelsea, this makes thing more interesting for us neutrals.

abigsmurf
26-04-2008, 01:44 PM
excellent win. Pressure is really on Man U now.

God snatching this title would make me so incredibly happy

neoboy259
26-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Is anyone else a bit tired of fans of other clubs going on about what they've achieved? History is great, but fans only care about the present, or the immediate future.

Anyways, great win Chelsea fans, fully deserved.

Bleeders
26-04-2008, 01:47 PM
excellent win. Pressure is really on Man U now.

God snatching this title would make me so incredibly happy

Not for us it wouldn't, nor the neutral for the dour football your lot produce, but for the first time today they played some decent football and deserved the win.

ezee ryder
26-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Credit where credit is due, Chelsea deserved to win today.

Kongster
26-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Credit where credit is due, Chelsea deserved to win today.

I agree, even if it does hurt me to say it.

saif
27-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Guardian says:
"The flashpoint occurred after a group of Sir Alex Ferguson's unused players were asked not to run across the pitch during their 'warm-down' because the grass was being cut. Instead they were told to jog in the same direction as the lawnmowers so the groundstaff could repair the turf ahead of Liverpool's visit on Wednesday for the second leg of their Champions League semi-final. The players refused and it is thought that one of them may have sworn. It was at this point that Evra was allegedly abused and the punch-up began. The two groups were separated but then came together again and Evra had to be restrained by team-mates. "

In case anyone is interested before the CL game.

yesteryeargames
28-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I agree, even if it does hurt me to say it.

not trying to be a bad looser, but

chelski always get late fluky goals and dodgy antics and refing, not specifically talking about this game, but all season!, i think the game should have been a draw, i blame sir alex for us not winning too, but if his tactics pay off and we reach the cl final it will all be ok, , the pen was a tad harsh, more like ball to arm. the way they treat the ref was shocking trying to make him give out cards should be an instand no questions asked booking. , the after match thing was joke, there must be some rule letting the players safely warm down, without some fanboy chelki staff jerks shouting abuse at you because utd loss, why could they just not wait till utd left the ground to fix the pitch,

ah well , prem, its still going utds way its still out of your hands and you have 2 akward games left too, i hope we get to settle this in the champions league final if we get there,

Leon Retro
28-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Man.Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool fans, will never give credit to Chelsea. It's a bitter rivalry - that's been lingering since Chelsea became a winning club.

I have no time for people who moan about Chelsea playing boring, negative football.

That is a false accusation - which is based on watching a few dodgy performances, and forgetting the brilliant moments, steadfast displays, and overall attacking and defensive skill, Chelsea have shown over the past 5years or so.

As a Chelsea fan, I'm fair enough to say Man.Utd are a very good team - with a brilliant player called Ronaldo. Arsenal are a dangerous team - with good players, but they lack an edge that would give them glory.

Chelsea deserved to beat Utd. We made Utd look stupid in the first 30minutes. It was only a moment of madness that spoilt our dominance. Man.utd didn't look like the same strong team I've often seen this season. How can Utd fans say they deserved a win after that lackluster display?

I will remember this decade for Chelsea as a very enjoyable time. Lampard, Cech, Essien, Joe Cole, Drogba etc.... They are great players - who have helped make the premiership the best league - and Chelsea one of the best clubs in Europe.

abigsmurf
28-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree Leon, when we're called upon it, we play some great football. Unfortunately competing in four competitions as well as all the injuries (has any third choice keeper got as much playtime as hilario?) we've had over the season mean we can't play full pelt.

Man U have been poor for a few games now and whenever Ronaldo isn't playing, they struggle.

Yesteryear: can't disagree about some lucky last minute goals but we've been hurt a lot by bad decisions and it's cost us points (after the liverpool game we had 3 matches in a row affected by decisions and lost points because of it). Man U have had decisions go their way though. Ronaldo in particular gets the opposition lots of yellow cards (and penalties) from dives and the reffing in the Man U vs Chelsea game was far more questionable (harsh red, goal in the 4th minute of 3 mins of injury time etc.)

Big Seany
28-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Anyone else want to batter the ref when he booked Ballack during his celebration? For goodness sake, I am sure the Man U players would not have complained had he shown a wee little bit of inconsistency right there. Football is so crap these days.

saif
28-04-2008, 09:57 PM
The pure COMEDY of Man Utd ever saying a decision going against them. The point in this - it should not have been a penalty because it WAS a handball but in such a big game etc etc.... They really do have different rules to the rest of us. The FIRST pen of the season - cos they have obviously fouled nobody in the whole season.....

rmoxon
28-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I have seen virtualy all chelseas games this season in one form or another and to be honest, besides the odd game, they havent been very intresting to watch all season, so saying its only the odd bad performance is a stretch.

Still I think people complain about it mainly becuase they know they have quality players and shouldnt have to play the way they do, they dont complain becuase they belive Chelsea cant actualy play good football.

Anyway at the end of the day I'm a man u fan but I can still admit that points win a league, not atractive football.

Oh yeah and the Carrick hand ball.... wasnt a penalty IMO as his arm was actualy just starting to move away from the ball when it hit him, so couldnbt have been deliberate. But its not like the ref could see that.

I don't think its just man united who recieve bad decsions anyway, most teams do, its just that it hurts even more when they might cost you a title or a cup. Arsenal still feel they would be in the champions league if they had got that penalty against liverpool for instance. It hurts alot more in big games but a bad descion is still a bad decsion in any game.

toythatkills
28-04-2008, 10:36 PM
the pen was a tad harsh, more like ball to arm.

Well yeah, obviously, but since the ball travelled about 15 yards to hit his arm, it's fair to say that he had a chance to move it out of the way. He chose to let it hit his arm - handball.

saif
28-04-2008, 11:26 PM
But they play under differentrules: from guardian:

Although Ferguson fielded only a half-strength team - starting with his two leading scorers, Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez, on the bench - the Scot chose to attack referee Alan Wiley's decision to award Chelsea their penalty when Michael Carrick clearly handled a Michael Essien cross.

"Absolutely diabolical," Ferguson said. "It's a major decision. Granted it hit his hand. He's not lifted his hand above his shoulders, above his head, anything like that. The ball is going straight to Rio Ferdinand. The referee should have seen that rather than the linesman. If it goes down to decisions like those we're in trouble. If we're not getting decisions we deserve then we're going to have to perform really well."
Yes,it is a handball as all other managers would see it. But Ferguson has probably never seen such a ridiculous decison (ie within the rules of the game) go against him. Have they stopped complaining about the Carrick dive yet?

rmoxon
29-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Although I think he couldnt get his hand out of the way (becuase Ive never seen anyone jump up like that to block a ball and still have their arms COMPLETELY down by their sides), even I find it odd that Alex Fergerson would say that if things like this happen then the team is gonna have to perform really well.

Dosent every team have to perform well in order to win a championship? (well besides chelsea I mean :p)

abigsmurf
30-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Lots of stuff in the press today about drogba being a diver. Ronaldo never gets that kind of focus...

I honestly believe he isn't a major diver. His problem is the opposite: he doesn't get up again. Lowest pain threshold of any player I've seen (although to be fair he has had multiple operations on his knees and they take a fair battering in matches). Whenever he goes down, it's usually for good reason. It's just the way he rolls about so often that's frustrating as it often costs us.

Anyway. We HAVE to win tonight. I won't be able to take Man U or Liverpool winning the champions league. We'll never hear the end of it.

hudson
30-04-2008, 12:47 PM
You'll probably never hear the end of how we've won 5 times anyway. :D

Drogba's a big baby, that's it really. He has a little whinge and 9 times out of ten it's a free kick :D

May the best team win tonight, mate.

SharkSkin-Man
30-04-2008, 12:49 PM
The 'Platoon' is his special move.

http://img3342.imagevenue.com/images/loc390/th_28796_drogba_122_390lo.gif

Kongster
30-04-2008, 12:51 PM
LOL - He also has "amazing powers of recovery" as the ITV commentators put it.

hudson
30-04-2008, 12:58 PM
hehe

http://www.otakunodenki.co.uk/temp/drogoon.jpg

Matt
30-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Ronaldo dived when he came to the country, but has, for the most part, cut that **** out on management orders. Often I think it appears he goes down too easy because he's moving at such pace, a slight clip could knock you down. He's tall and sleek, which won't help. No doubt he has properly dived in the past, no arguments, but I genuinely think it's, for the most part, in his past. Goes down too easily at times but it's tough to say if it's genuine or not.

Drogba on the other hand is a ****ing disgrace and Chelsea fans should be disgusted and turn on him until he mans up. Such a great striker of the ball, in 20 years time you think he'll be remembered as a great player or a cheat?

Kongster
30-04-2008, 01:21 PM
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/gallery/2005/08/24/gallery7.jpg

saif
30-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Ronaldo spent the whole game yesterday LOOKING for fouls.

He tries all the time and you have been tricked by Ferguson doublespeak if you think he hasstopped. That weekend against Middlesborough where he didn't get a pen even though he had engineered contact. The next week, having heard from every Man U how he didn't do it anymore he dived for a pen again. And got it. Ronaldo dives at least once or twice in every game - no doubt. And often it is not even, the still annoying but more understandable, going down easy.
Drogba makes everything look a lot worse. The hilarity of his aborting of his dive against Man U when Vidic got injured is classic and proof positive of his actions.

Never been booked for diving..... I believe Ronaldo has not either under the FA's watch - only in other games.

abigsmurf
30-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, can't say that wasn't the perfect way to silence his critics. 1-0 half time and looking strong. Now if we come out guns blazing we'll seal this. Hopefully Grant won't sit back on it but at least a last minute liverpool goal won't knock chelsea out

hudson
30-04-2008, 07:32 PM
We look absolutely sh*te out there. Deserved goal (even if it was off-side).

abigsmurf
30-04-2008, 08:32 PM
*sigh* extra time...

dammit grant...

abigsmurf
30-04-2008, 08:47 PM
We deserved that penalty purely on that awful awful offside decision. Didn't actually see the foul in slo mo. Couldn't bare to watch

glazza
30-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Quality goal by drogba think its game over know..:):)

abigsmurf
30-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Nervy last 3 minutes but...

AT LONG LAST!!!!

Finally got past liverpool! Moscow here we come!

We were a different team in extra time.

Charlie
30-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Great game between two great teams and a great result. We've finally made it to a Champion's League final. A night to remember!

glazza
30-04-2008, 11:10 PM
For me i think both Man U and Chelsea deserve a lot of credit reaching the final becase both Barca and Liverpool have both been out of there respective title races for a good while now and have there for been able to rest players a lot n the build up to there semi finals whilst United and Chelsea have been trying to put out full strength teams virtualy every game whilst going at each other tooth and nails.

Plus i feel Rafa did himself no favours in slagging down Drogba is it just totally inspired him tonight and he was almost unplayable and Benitez would have been better leaving Drogba well alone.

Leon Retro
01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
A great battle - and a great night for Chelsea. :thumb:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5862/lampardxe1.jpg

We can beat Man.Utd

abigsmurf
02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
been hearing about this : http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3508317,00.html

I think it's completely out of order Curbishley saying what he did before the Man U game. It raises the grim possibility that Curbishley may at least partially not try to take points from Man U.

Even if it was a slip of the tongue and they play all out and lose, it'll feed conspiricy theorists. What was he thinking? It may seem harsh but these kinds of statements are the things "bringing the game into disrepute" charges are supposed to prevent.

Kongster
02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I honestly had to LOL when I read that story this morning.

I can understand why Chelsea will feel aggrieved by this though.

Matt
02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Come on this isn't Italy! If games could be thrown, Chelski would be paying everyone off :p

I can see where Curbishly is coming from, and feel he's welcome to his opinion. If he fields a third string team then Chelsea have every right to complain, but that's not going to happen.

Leon Retro
03-05-2008, 02:18 AM
I think West Ham fans won't be happy to hear what their manager has said. They want to beat Utd ... so should he.

He thinks Utd are a great team - who deserve to win the league. It is nuts to speak your mind just before a match with them.

If Utd do thrash the Hammers - Curbishly will look very guilty.

abigsmurf
03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd imagine the FA will have spoken to him. If anything dodgy happens in the game like a late penalty giving man u the result then there'll be lots of suspicions raised.

But honestly I don't think he's stupid enough to do this.

Matt
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
You don't honestly think anyone would throw the game do you? Seriously guys, he just gave his opinion.

Chelski are the last people to be throwing around conspiracy theories :p :D

rmoxon
03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Maybe he was just trying to gear his own players up by letting them know they are playing the best team in the world?

Also all the confidence he has in them could actualy put more pressure on united.

I'm not really sure why Chelsea fans are getting so upset, hes only said what most managers are thinking.

fatbatch
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
If anyone will roll over it's Newcastle - I'm sure Keegan would love it if United were overtaken.

I don't think any team in the Premiership would throw a game - and if Curbishley even considered it he would hardly broadcast the possibility.

abigsmurf
03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
well that goal certainly adds weight to the feeling west ham may not be trying...

abigsmurf
03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
West Ham rolled over and died before the kick off. Curbishly has a lot of explaining to do

fatbatch
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
He must have wanted to lose to Chelsea as well - 3-0 down at the same stage.

abigsmurf
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
It's looking a hell of a lot like West Ham are sitting back and letting them win. They were playing against 10 men and didn't put any men forward when the game was in their reach. Of all the Man U goals, only 1 wasn't appauling defending or goal keeping.

fatbatch
03-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Whereas they recovered to draw 4-4 with Chelsea ....

Matt
03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
well that goal certainly adds weight to the feeling west ham may not be trying...

Mate you're a plonker.

Edit - actually, let me go over this as I can't believe anyone could think these goals weren't deserved.

2 were deflections - in other words, West Ham players flung themselves at the ball to try to stop it. Not what you're doing if you're not trying.

Another was an absolute screamer that no-one could do anything about, though the keep touched it and an inch lower may have saved it.

As for Ronaldos second goal, was a good cross, and just happened to land on him when he was 5 feet out. No-one is going to save that, and the defenders tried to stop it getting there in the first place.

Meantime West Ham got a goal through a strong player and a great overhead kick. If he didn't want to score he wouldn't have bothered.

Chelski really do strive to be underdogs. "They're all against us!" It's tough to be underdogs though when you've got all the money, and all that talent in the team.

You want to know why people think ManU deserve the title? Because they've played, along with Arsenal, the BEST football of the season. There was a time, not too long ago, you guys were exciting to watch. Get that entertaining, attacking style back, get Drogba some studs for his boots, and you'll find people may think you deserve it next season. The goal different alone should show who the more dynamic team is.

neoboy259
03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Curbishley was an idiot, big style, but its very disrespectful to accuse the West Ham players of not trying.

All this talk of throwing games makes me laugh, are Grobelaar and Fashanu still playing? :)

Malavon
03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
get Drogba some studs for his boots

Get some for Ronaldo too - 2 minutes after scoring the first goal he's rolling around the penalty punching the ground like a baby.

Rossco
03-05-2008, 07:54 PM
What a farce. Are you people actually serious in thinking West Ham threw in the towel for this game?

ezee ryder
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Get some for Ronaldo too - 2 minutes after scoring the first goal he's rolling around the penalty punching the ground like a baby.

You're probably referring to the challenge on him by Parker, which he didn't actually complain about at all to the ref. He was frustrated with himself rather than punching the ground like a baby.

Funny reading this thread that people think West Ham threw the game today, ridiculous thinking. :lol:

Matt
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
This thread has got real comedy value!

abigsmurf
05-05-2008, 04:56 PM
As predicted Newcastle didn't roll over and die like West Ham. Tough game but we did well.

All down to Man U now.

hush
05-05-2008, 06:40 PM
it was a very well played game

rmoxon
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
As predicted Newcastle didn't roll over and die like West Ham. Tough game but we did well.

All down to Man U now.

To be fair if i was a chelsea fan, and roles were reversed, and newcastle played like they had there against man u I would have been asking why they didnt turn up in the second half... I'm not sure where you get "tough game" from but anyway..... Good job im not a chelsea fan and can just admit newcastle didnt play well enough to deserve anything from the game I suppose.

MonkeyJuggleDX
07-05-2008, 07:01 AM
We're gonna stuff ya on Sunday!! :ph34r:

abigsmurf
11-05-2008, 03:47 PM
well we didn't win it but we stopped man U from having a clear victory, not bad considering we were pretty much ignored until Arsenal were out of the picture.

Here's to champions league and the transfer season to get a goal scorer

*edit*

or not, final minute goal. Bleh everyone had given up

ezee ryder
11-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Unlucky, credit to taking us all the way though.

MonkeyJuggleDX
11-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Matty Matty Taylor!!!!!!!!

abigsmurf
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7395831.stm

I know I get the mick taken out of me for claiming bias against chelsea but come on! Chelsea buy a portuguese international in a position where we could do with a bit of improvement and we get blasted for it.

(yes I know they don't create the 606 posts but they do choose the ones to quote)

Baseley09
12-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Is a bit much for a right back when youve got a few decent ones already. Is he honestly any better?

abigsmurf
12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Belletti is rubbish and Ferreira can be a liability sometimes (and we need cover anyway)

Matt
12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
The thing is Smurf, it's not a position you really need an extra player, and once again you've paid too much money for him. Maybe he'll turn out great, but a great number of players at Chelsea at nothing more than benchwarmers, if they're lucky to even get that far.

What you need is an additional striker. Every other position, you've a good squad.

Matt
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Belletti is rubbish and Ferreira can be a liability sometimes (and we need cover anyway)

Er, 2 players in one position is considered "cover". So now squads need 3 players for every single position? That's madness!

abigsmurf
12-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Belletti is rubbish and probably being sold off though.

Also , two players is never enough for chelsea. I don't think any other team has given so many games to their third choice keeper.