GTA1 for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTA1 for download

Just thought this would be an interesting way to kick off Gaming Discussion again. Camps just dug up this link, which some of you may be interested in.

Essentially, it's the entire (+music, judging by the 328meg filesize) GTA1 for PC, free for download.

Enjoy

The server appears to be taking an absolute pounding at the moment. I can't get past the registration before it times out.

Still bloody nice free giveaway. I bet all that spam mail will be more than worth it

Comment

I wonder if it means that the warez version someone I know downloaded last month off P2P is no longer 'Illegal'. Couldn't get the thing working under XP anyway, I hear this one's compatible with newer PC's now. Networked GTA was a blast

Comment

I haven't got round to downloading it yet, been busy on here. I believe I read you need current DirectX drivers (presumably 8.1, not 9), which means they've re-coded it to work under XP.

Sorted 8)

Comment

I've finally got it and it's as jerky as hell on my Ti4400/2000+ combo. Dunno why...

Edame - GTA was originally a DOS game which is why it didn't work on XP.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the heads up

Time to run me down some Hari Krishnas !

Bonus points for getting them all in one go too

Class

Comment

And if you can't be arsed to download 328MB, remember that GTA and GTA London are available as a double pack for ?4.99 on the sold out range

Wonder if the online play will actually work with this version? I remember the original had a link to the wireplay browser built in

Comment

Assuming you can get the originals to work under XP, although admittedly I haven't tried.

Comment

Alternatively, you could forget the download time and just pop out to the nearest store tomorrow and pick up an old PS copy for around a ?5.

Come on, we all know Rockstar's using this move in order to get more website hits, and ultimately more exposure for it's recent titles.

Comment

Concept, do you have the originals there? I'll admit I gave mine away to a cousin who had an older PC. If you (or anyone) has them, do they work under XP?

I have a job to run older stuff on XP (like Elite2:Frontier), which is a mild arseburger.

Comment

I've got GTA 1 (PS), GTA 2 (PS), GTA 3 (PS2) and GTA: VC (PS2).

I think the only GTA I'm missing is the add-on disc set in 60's swinging London.

Haven't got any of the PC versions, mainly because my PC is cack and I don't use it to play games.

Comment

I did manage to get the copy of GTA working, but it wouldn't detect my GFX card and the game was either too jittery or too fast depending on whether I turned frame limiting on or off.

I'm hoping that the new download will be an updated version, which I'm led to believe it is (and should hopefully be more compatible).

Comment

This is a good attitude. It's better than the usual "anti abandonware" crap we get from a lot of PC games companies like Apogee (aka 3D Realms).

Comment

It looks a bit hideous without a Voodoo card, and frankly who has one of those these days (god rest their souls)?

Jolly good fun nevertheless.

Comment

Oof. Still not got round to getting it (prolly won't be able to for a while now). Can anyone who has it confirm if it takes advantage of bilinear filtering etc for modern cards to make it look like the Glide version, or does it look like the software version?

Comment

Working...
                              X