Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening a closed chimney, things living inside! Now with added Bee Swarm..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening a closed chimney, things living inside! Now with added Bee Swarm..

I'll keep this short but basically I've moved into a new house which comes with an active honey bee nest in one of the chimney stacks.

The problem is that I need to replace the air vent in the chimney stack the bees are in. Now I'm not that fussed about the bees being there but I do need to replace the air vent as the current one is a horrible faded yellow colour and damaged.

So I've partially removed the existing vent and looked inside the hole and found the following -

Large quantities of small live maggots.
    Live millipedes.
    Live small insects which look like fleas.
    Other living stuff.

Is this normally found at the bottom of a chimney which has been closed off for several years or do I have a bigger problem. The area I'm looking at is where you would normally have a fireplace about 1'inch above the skirting board.

Help??
    Last edited by Unwell Cat; 06-05-2008, 20:36.

Quite normal I'd have thought. Unless the top of the chimneys been capped you'll get all sorts in there.

Comment

Get some mates together and shoot a horror film.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
        Quite normal I'd have thought. Unless the top of the chimneys been capped you'll get all sorts in there.
        Don't think it's been capped mate. But I've never seen this amount of stuff before, it gives me the creeps and I've been told by the missus to sort it tomorrow as she found 3 of the maggots making a break for it across the wall.

Comment

Nothing worse than crawly stuff.

Get something strong from the local garden centre / DIY place and dose them all.

Watch the Honey Bee's though. Although they're not a protected species you aren't supposed to `interfere` with them as they're on the decline. Otherwise the whole ecosystem will fall in on itself... or something.

Comment

The honey bees are a whole different subject mate. Apparently the bees have been there for about 10-20 years in one form or another so heaven knows how much honey there is in my chimney. I've been doing some research and apparently I could have up to 10,000 bees in my chimney (eek)!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Get some mates together and shoot a horror film.
              Thanks.. I've a mate coming round to help me in the morning.

Comment

Get something strong from the local garden centre / DIY place and dose them all.

Watch the Honey Bee's though. Although they're not a protected species you aren't supposed to `interfere` with them as they're on the decline. Otherwise the whole ecosystem will fall in on itself... or something.
                I don't want to be responsible for the decline of the eco system equally I'm not chuffed about not being able to fit a fireplace in the now occupied breast.
                Last edited by Unwell Cat; 01-01-2008, 19:51.

Comment

Comment

Whilst you're at the garden centre picking up some bug spray get yourself a massive sieve.

You'll make a fortune with

"Unwell Cat's Organic Honey: Straight from the bees mouth to yours."

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotwings View Post
                      If I could buy one I would..

I've visions of taking off the old vent and having the things pour out like some kind of miniture army before climbing up my body and entering my mouth, eyes etc.

I'll know tomorrow !

Comment

Well they a protected species in leeds. Last year someone in our block of flats had a problem as some bees had moved in, instead of going to the council & getting it sorted properly they got some pest guy in & he finished them all off. The same pest guy ended up in court & got a fine.

Comment

We have an open fire in our living room, over the summer we didn't use it. But when it came to winter se tried to start one up again. Nothing would work. Eventually my dad worked out that there was a low quiet cooing coming from the chimney. We had a bloody pigeon's nest in our chimney. Cost a fortune to get someone round to shift them out too. I suggested using the olde bb gun up in chimney to move em but it wasn't taken down well!

Not the same as the 'orrible stuff you've got lurking round but still a story is a story!
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2008, 19:58.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            Well they a protected species in leeds. Last year someone in our block of flats had a problem as some bees had moved in, instead of going to the council & getting it sorted properly they got some pest guy in & he finished them all off. The same pest guy ended up in court & got a fine.
                            Think their protected in East Sussex where I am as well mate so it looks like I'm stuck with them.

Comment

A quick Google search shows lots of conflicting info. One council says they aren't, lots say they are. Usually councils won't kill them but they get a bee keeper in to safely remove them.

Best advice: Bee careful

... I'll get my coat.

edit: actually seems it depends on if they're Feral Bees or Honey Bees. It's a veritable mine field
                              Last edited by Spatial; 01-01-2008, 20:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X