PlayTrade - Play.com's version of Amazon Marketplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlayTrade - Play.com's version of Amazon Marketplace

I've not used Amazon Marketplace to sell much at all, I just remember getting a letter from Jamaica to confirm my details, and it was a bit of hassle to get used to. eBay has annoyed me so much with its swindles, both for fees, PayPal fees, scammers and downright idiotic attitudes to getting rid of counterfeit goods and people selling information.

Anyway, PlayTrade have a free trial on, list ten items for sale, and have the listing fees for them refunded in January. Anything after that you have to pay for.

The fees work out to be 10% of the price it sells for, plus 50p (the 50p is negated if you sign up to be a TopTrader, which costs ?19.99 a month). If I wasn't going travelling soon, then the TopTrader Thing would probably be beneficial for me, as it stands, I shan't bother with that part. 10% seems high, but when eBay charges you to list an item, to put a picture on (gallery), to have a Buy It Now price, and then when it's finished, and again via PayPal fees, it works out to be more than 10% more often than not.

So, I've given Play a go.. and wow, it's so simple setting it up, did it in a minute. Then listing items? Piece of pish, just search for the product that they sell, click it, type in the price, quantity and condition... and you're done. It's amazingly easy to list products, maybe I'm just used to the complicated nature of eBay, but this is so much better.

The downside is they have a charge for withdrawing money to your bank account (5%), but no charge if you spend your balance on Play.com. Best thing about it is that you can't get scammed, it's all going through Play.com. I'm rather happy about that, I finally feel protected - as over the years I've been scammed via bank transfer and PayPal.

Anyways, I recommend it - since signing up last night and putting up about 50 items, I've already sold 10, and got the money in my PlayTrade account, ready to spend on Play.com if I do so wish. Why don't eBay have something more unified like this? I guess it'd be a lot of work to change the system, but it feels nicer on Play, the items already have descriptions, the layout is cleaner and more logical, and seems you have to be in the UK or Europe to trade. Sorted.

Two more items just sold in the time I was typing that, The Mask on DVD and a 12 month Live subscription. Sweet.

Comment

Yeah, I love it. I listed a load of CDs and they went rather quickly. Still have about 30 items on there.

I normally end up using the playfunds on play - I keep it there for when I fancy a DVD normally

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking about selling a load of stuff on there and just keeping the money in it, hope there isn't a time limit in which to spend it! As really, I could just keep it in there for when I get back from travelling (about four months, maybe more). A 360 controller just sold now, heh.

Comment

Can you sell imported stuff (dvd, games, etc) or is it restricted to PAL only?

Comment

I love it, was an ebay junkie but we all know the downfalls of that pit, and yeah i too mostly use my funds for stuff on their site, mind you i did withdraw £150 last week, still have about £70 in there for future buys.

Comment

Hmm I'm gonna have a wee look at this, get rid of some old games n CDs! Sure I can find a load of old crap I dont need and can sell.

Comment

Originally posted by KIT786 View Post
                Can you sell imported stuff (dvd, games, etc) or is it restricted to PAL only?
                I've listed Japanese DS games, just made it abundantly clear in big writing that it's Japanese, the prices are pretty darn low too.. And I think I put up a region free 360 game as well, not an issue there.

Anyways, sold 35 items now, in two days.. upgraded to the ?19.99 a month thing (will only do it for a month, whilst I sell all my DVDs and games) because it works out cheaper for me already, and just pay the 10% off the price. I likes it a lot, no chance of the money disappearing! Unlike bloomin' eBay.

Comment

Do your prices include P&P or are they set like amazon?

EDIT. Just had a look at selling myself and your prices include P&P.

Comment

This is a really cool way of selling stuff - sold one of the 2 things I put up on Wednesday, on that day! And it's nice at the mo because you get the commission back so it costs you nothing to sell - you just need to pay for the postage

Comment

It won't let me put any region 1 stuff up yet? Will it let you after a set time as there are people selling region 1 dvd's on there.

Comment

They don't let you sell region one stuff at all, I just gave them a call, asking them if the money expires (it never does), if they let you sell consoles (yes, you can if you're a ProTrader which I am now!) and how long it takes to be able to access your money (21 days, even if you want to spend it on Play.com).

So overall, I'm extremely happy, just listed my Nintendo Wii and Slimline PS2, ten items sold overnight, and I've got over £400 in my account! Whee. This is extremely good, but I feel it could easily become not as good if more and more people use it to sell items. I'm happy so many people are willing to buy items from private sellers on Play, would have thought they wouldn't have been too keen. Also sold two Japanese DS games already too, which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by IanE View Post
                          They don't let you sell region one stuff at all, I just gave them a call, asking them if the money expires (it never does), if they let you sell consoles (yes, you can if you're a ProTrader which I am now!) and how long it takes to be able to access your money (21 days, even if you want to spend it on Play.com).
                          Who sells the Region 1 stuff on play.com then - it's definitely for sale on there! I've seen playtrade region 1 items on there many times - weird!

Comment

What made me giggle is the advert for it on their site which shows a a copy of Sonic 2 on the Genesis which you can't sell.

Comment

Hmmm, i listed 70 odd CD's and DVD's this morning but none of them seem to be showing on the site when i search for the item. I can understand a slight delay for the items to be listed but it's been 10 hours now...?

Ooops i missed the activation email. Knob-hed
                              Last edited by Mad Gear; 10-01-2008, 21:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X