Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GBA player + progressive ?

Yo

Does the GC GBA player thing support progressive scan?

Cheers

Judging by how the screen goes when you turn off the GBA, I'd say the GBA uses an interlaced screen. Therefore I'd guess the GBA player would only be interlaced, as it has to be an option within the game itself. Of course, it's possible Nintendo may have built the option into the hardware, but I'm not sure they'd bother with it for something minimal like GBA games.
    Obviously it would only do progressive scan on NTSC hardware, as PAL hardware gives a 50/60Hz option, not a Prog Scan option, on boot.

Comment

None of the LCD stuff really matters, the GBA screen is rendered in software with the GBA Player. I'm fairly sure LCDs are effectively progressive anyway, but if the GBA were interlaced that could be undone with the software renderer even if the GBA game relied upon it.

In which case... progressive scan support depends on the GBA playing software. There is no reason why it might not support progressive other than perhaps looking really blocky (although it looks like the GBA Player has a filter to smooth jaggies aswell).

Most NTSC Nintendo titles support Progressive, so I reckon the GBA Player probably will too. As vertigo points out, only the NTSC versions are likely to support progressive scan, so far none of the PAL GameCube games support progressive scan.

Comment

I doubt very much that the GBA will output progressive,the GBA doesn't meaning none of it's games will so what would be the point. Forcing the hardware to display a game that doesn't support it would produce screen artifact's no?,you COULD use your TV's software progressive,but that would be interlaced. I could be totally way off,but I don't think I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamespot
          Though not exactly practical, another interesting feature that the Game Boy Player supports is 480p for high-definition sets. As with other games that support this feature, you can simply hold down the B button and wait for the prompt to ask if you want to switch over to 480p. This seems to have only a minor effect on the visual quality in some games, but you'll notice that the menus for the Game Boy Player are incredibly crisp.
          OK well I'll shut up then

Comment

WickeD

Cheers fearbat . Would be handy to play it on my monitor in between Windwaker sessions 8)

Cheers everyone for your inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by fearbat
              I doubt very much that the GBA will output progressive,the GBA doesn't meaning none of it's games will so what would be the point. Forcing the hardware to display a game that doesn't support it would produce screen artifact's no?,you COULD use your TV's software progressive,but that would be interlaced. I could be totally way off,but I don't think I am.
              A GBA game and the GBA Player's progressive scan support really aren't related at all. Talking about progressive scan with the GBA screen doesn't mean a lot.

As soon as you have the GameCube displaying the GBA video though, you could do pretty much whatever you liked in software with the GameCube hardware, eg. soft filter, de-interlace, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut

As soon as you have the GameCube displaying the GBA video though, you could do pretty much whatever you liked in software with the GameCube hardware, eg. soft filter, de-interlace, etc.
                That's exactly what I thought

Comment

It's not clear that the Gamecube is doing much at all to the GBA display,the dream of having Super Eagle or 2xSai slapped on top of zelda vanishes into the night .

Comment

Originally posted by fearbat
                    It's not clear that the Gamecube is doing much at all to the GBA display,the dream of having Super Eagle or 2xSai slapped on top of zelda vanishes into the night .
                    And thank god for that. Emulator filters make games look ugly as **** IMO.
                    The option for those who want it would be nice though.
                    As for the 480p thing, ooh, the menus are clearer on the GC-native software side. WOW
                    Considering the vertical resolution of GBA is 160 pixels, you're going to have to use pixel size multiplication anyway in order to display on the screen, or have to resort to stretching with anti-aliasing/filters in order to display it, so it wouldn't make much of a difference, if at all, to display GBA software interlaced or progressively.

Comment

I've actually played on a US GBA Player briefly, and it does have a smoothing filter (I think its optional, but probably default). It looked nice on a normal TV too, so it might be ok with progressive/vga.

Comment

Working...
                      X