Oz - HBO series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oz - HBO series

Not watched this for a while, Been neglecting the 360 and Wii recently to rewatch, half way though series 4 of 6 now and although its a bit dated with the Augustus Hill cut scenes in his cube im still enjoying the backstabbing and shinanigans that go on within Emerald City.

Still think O'reily and Adebesi are my faves!

There used to be a thread here on this but it may have gone as it was a long time ago. Oz is one of my all-time favourite shows. I have all the seasons on dvd and still pop them on from time to time.

You're actually at the turning point in the show. I felt the quality of the stories went downhill after season 4. Weren't there 7 seasons? I could be wrong...

But, actually, some of my favourite characters came into it at the turning point, in spite of the stories. One in particular I won't mention yet as you're not there is just a fantastic character.

Adebisi is a genuinely scary bastard. He used to freak me out just about every episode. I still have nightmares about him singing happy birthday to Kenny. For me, as much as I loved the entire run, I think the first season was just spectacular. 8 episodes of pure perfection. In a way, it reminds me of Homicide - the first season was something that wasn't 100% recaptured after that. Something magical. And actually both shows went a bit mental at the end. And they're by the same team if I remember correctly. Odd how they followed the same pattern.

What always amazed me about Oz was how they were able to juggle so many characters. Only 8 episodes a season, a ridiculous number of characters and yet they were able to tell huge sweeping stories for each and every one of them. Puts most if not all shows at the moment to shame. No filler. Not one shred. And yet in those 8 episodes, they told more story than most shows can in an entire 22 episode or whatever run.

Great show. Hope you enjoy the full run, even with the cracks that appear.

Comment

It's one of the all time greats for sure. Must have been a bastard to work on though as an actor. No ones job was safe on that programme!
      Also best theme music ever!

Comment

I remember stumbling upon Oz one night on Channel 4 and I didn't have a clue what it was, but I couldn't take my eyes off it. Shortly after, and by total coincidence, a colleage loaned me season one, and subsequently all six (the quality did dip a little later on, but with shows like this, even when they're on less than top form they're amazing).

I think my favourite character in the series was Chris Keller because he was so dangerous and yet so enigmatic at the same time ... very complex character, brilliantly written and acted.

Top show. Enjoy

Comment

One of my favourite dramas ever and completely under-rated. I remember when it used to be on sporadically on Channel 4 at weekends at around 2-3am! Well worth staying up for though Am I right in thinking it was HBO's first major drama? Absolute quality - if you've never seen it, then do yourself a favour and check it out asap! The DVDs are readily available at play.com

Comment

Watched them all last night, there was 6 series in all, i also own them all on dvd, i did watch them many years ago as avi files as i always used to miss it being on C4 in the early hours.

Last 2 seasons went a bit poor for me, shame they never had a film/dvd movie to finish it off, some of the storys were just left unfinished...

Comment

Beecher was amazing until about half way through the third series. After his incredible wolverine attack on the guard he went boring as sin.

Comment

Same with Oreily, he was ace getting others to do his killing for him, when Cyril went on on death row, he turned into a pussy!

Hoyt was class too, he should had some more storys!! My fave gang was the Italians..

Comment

Just started watching Season One on DVD, liking it so far. Never heard of it before this thread so thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Ah it's awesome David, hardcore and extremely violent and gets better and better - it'll put you off maximum security prisons for life (if you weren't sure whether you wanted to go or not!)

Comment

Agreed. One of the best shows ever. Ryan O'Reilly rules!
                      Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by RuBiQ View Post
                        Not watched this for a while, Been neglecting the 360 and Wii recently to rewatch, half way though series 4 of 6 now and although its a bit dated with the Augustus Hill cut scenes in his cube im still enjoying the backstabbing and shinanigans that go on within Emerald City.

Still think O'reily and Adebesi are my faves!
                        Used to love watching this, but the scheduling of it was appallingly inconsistent, so was never able to view the first couple of series in their entirety.

Comment

When I was off sick recently I watched all seasons of Oz back to back in the space of a few weeks. Although it jumped the shark a bit as it went on (

Biohazard guy going mental, the bloke getting the negro gums, the ageing drug trial, O'Reilly never getting any comeuppance

) it remains one of the most consistently entertaining shows I have ever watched.

I was a bit emotionally all over the place whilst watching it and I actually had a "something in my eye" moment

the first time they were due to execute Cyril. Then it got bloody cancelled

and I felt like a right tool.

My favourite moment of the series has to be when

Beecher snaps and retaliates against Schillinger. You can't really get much better revenge than pinning a bloke down and taking a dump on his face.

Some quality murders throughout though.

Beecher doing in the Nazi guard was immense.

Comment

Whoa, good to see ya back online Biggy Seans! Yeah man, Oz is wicked -

Beechers 'dream' ending is just brilliant, felt so bad for him!

Comment

The first

Cyril execution

was absolutely heartbreaking. I'm so glad the show was shown late over here so I was on my own watching it. Otherwise, my masculinity would be called into question. And, as much as I completely loathed the

woman who drowned her kids (can't remember her name), her execution

really got to me too.

That was what was amazing about the show. It could show you absolute filth and then make you feel for them. I mean, who didn't want Alvarez to get a break even after he

blinded that guard?

I wasn't a fan of that bit you mention, FunkyDan, simply because I find

dream sequences

a bit cheaty as a plot device but, in general, I felt so sorry for Beecher all the way along. Or Bitcher as he was known to his friends. Had a colleague at work at the time this was on and his name was Richard. He used to hate it when I'd call him Bitchard. Hated it more when I made him wear make-up.

Oz will always be a highlight for me. It was tough going and went a bit mental towards the end (

Jesus Sideshow Luke Perry I'll buy but the ageing drug? No way.

) although I should point out that, in spite of the mentalness, some of my favourite characters came from the latter half of the show - Omar White and the old guy with the beard in particular (can't remember his name but he was stunning in the musical episode. If he released a CD, I'd buy it). But always entertaining and, when good, it was amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X