The Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Happening

Just watched this, thought it was great fun.

This man is a comedy genius!

What did you like about it spags?

I hear Zooey Deschanel (sp?) is in it which should give it an extra half a star.

Comment

Can anyone spoil it for me so i don't have to go see it, I can't stand M Knight meshallyman.

Comment

I really like his first four films, but haven't seen the last one after it got ragged in reviews, and looking at the 20% RT rating for this, don't think I'll bother here either.

LOST the PLOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
          Can anyone spoil it for me so i don't have to go see it, I can't stand M Knight meshallyman.
          Happy to...

Its an incredibly hammy film about how nature has been forced to defend itself against man by releasing a toxin which makes people kill themselves - they throw themselves off roofs, crash cars, slit their wrists which is all very serious stuff right? Thing is this is not a serious movie despite how its being marketed. One guy turns on a lawn mower and lies down in front of it while another feeds himself to a lion. These are proper laugh out loud momments!! Also the acting is ****e, but it fits the tone perfectly - how else is the female lead able to deliver lines such as "So it could be terrorists or some kind of gas or plants" and then have the male lead try to calm down an angry house plant - which is one of the best things I've seen at the movies for a while. Its hammy like the acting in the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which gets referenced in a couple of scenes). I liked the suspense too, it had a playful Hitchcockian vibe to it - the bit where they come across a boarded up house and you can hear a rope creaking, expecting to see another suicide instead a girl is being pushed on a swing. Mostly its just good dumb fun and once you get where its coming from its pretty enjoyable imo.

I expect everybody will get all serious on it (as most of the reviews I've seen seem to have done) which is a shame as that kind of misses the point.
          Last edited by spagmasterswift; 16-06-2008, 08:40.

Comment

About sums it up.

Comment

Yeah, he was quality Loved it when he was trying to tell the kids not to kick the door in. Perfect casting >_<

Comment

I had that same expression after beating mgs2

Comment

lol at spatial!111

Comment

Saw this tonight too. Spags has pretty much covered it in his spoiler - not bad, but I do think it was MEANT to be serious. My mate reckoned it could happen too, LOLS

EDIT: Oh, and DANTE <---- was in it too (didnt have any lines though and we only saw his reflection but F*** YEAH!)

Comment

I saw this and it is one of the most ridiculous films I've ever seen. I'm sure in a few years I'll be watching this with some mates and a few beers and thoroughly enjoying how rubbish it is, but right now I wish I hadn't paid ?8 to see. Although, the unintentional funny stuff did make it just about worth it.

One thing I can't believe made it through the production of the film without being questioned is:

I didn't realise that plants have power over wind.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post

I didn't realise that plants have power over wind.
                        It did suggest that didn't it, but the end showed a

storm coming in and with no actual answer to what the happening was being given it could be that there was another force at work...maybe this force was using the plants to attack mankind...

Comment

Is it possible that M Night is not finished with this tale yet? I enjoyed the film up until about two thirds of the way in, but was thoroughly disappointed with the last bit and left with a distinct 'Is that it?' taste in my mouth.

To me, it didn't make a lot of sense, and had no direction in particular, and some of the gaps in between the dialogue were just beyond ridiculous. I usually enjoy Mark Wahlberg in films but he seemed to become his Boogie Nights character in this film - and don't get me wrong, I loved him as Dirk - but that was tongue-in-cheek, The Happening was not. I agree that it was meant to be deadly serious, but why? I found myself not caring for any of the characters, aside from the little girl, who seemed to be surrounded by morons!

Zooey was cute, but far too annoying that by the time she started to stop being all ditsy, it was too late. The loony lady at the end was hardly necessary either - it would have been far more scary if the trees had smashed the windows to let the toxin in. But no, it had to be the old bag being controlled by the plants

A silly film and I was glad not to (actually) pay to see it - I have a cineworld card

Comment

Why do people think the film is meant to be taken seriously?

Comment

Can any of his films be taken seriously though? I'm glad someone told me the twist of the village. Ive avoided it ever since.

Comment

Working...
                              X