Pok?mon Advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pok?mon Advance

Not seen any mention of the new Pok?mon games on the forum so far (could be because Pok?'s aimed at under 10s, but m'eh ) so I'll post my first impressions. I only got Sapphire yesterday from Tronix - would have had it sooner, but I wasn't in when the postie called.

The first thing that struck me was the sticky controls. They haven't changed at all from the GB versions - you still move a tile at a time - but the scrolling's now a lot smoother and the sprites don't float about like they did on the GB version. And you can run with the B button, which is a welcome addition.

The graphics are generally pretty good too, well in battle at least. The Pok?mon have a "hand painted" look about them there plus each has a different icon in the menus. The map graphics however look exactly like the GB versions, but in 256 colours. And I'm sure I've seen those tree tiles used in another game. There's a nice "reflection" effect when you walk near water though (makes clever use of the GBA sprite flipping, resizing and alpha blending at least).

The actual interfaces and all that seem pretty complex so far. I didn't use everything in previous pokemon outings, but here there's about a million different stats screens to peruse and I don't have a clue what they all mean. Even after I RTFM. Also, in red/blue you had yer basic fire, water, ice types.. here they've got ghost and dark and other weirdo ones - it's certainly gong to take a lot of playing to get it all sussed.

Basically then, this is the same Pok?mon game as always, but for GBA. If you got sick of an earlier version, I doubt this has enough new stuff to convince you it's worthwhile. If you finished Red/Blue/Gold/Silver though, then this is probably exactly what you wanted... Oh, I was a bit put off when I saw "a good level of reading is needed to enjoy this game" on the box - d'you think it's aimed at a different age bracket to me?

Quirky, aged 25

It's a good game mate. I have had it for a week now and I can say it has got an addictive feel to it. Some of the gym leaders are hard though, so it is perfect for the older gamers 8) The only downside are the graphics......................

Comment

What's wrong with the graphics?

Comment

I've had this for a week as well and have been enjoying it in big bursts of GBA action when I couldn't sleep. Haven't really used my GBA this much since Advance Wars. The whole idea of the collecting and training is just so addictive. I was a bit surprised that they haven't included a lot of the old Pokemons as the newer ones don't look as good (you've got to admit). Just got my 4th Badge

Comment

I've got to say I'm a big Pokefan, and Pokemon Advance was exactly what I was expecting and hoping for - the re-jigged graphics and music are a delight and battles are as fun as ever (the 2-on-2 battling especially interesting).

I especially enjoy that quirky Nintendo translation that we've seen evident in all their recent games (Pikmmin, Animal Crossing, etc.), it really brings a smile to my face

Long live Pokemon!

Comment

People say Poke'mon is crack for kids but grownups can get just as hooked too. My wife is dusting me in Pokemon.

Yes between Zelda and Pokemon nintendo is stealing alot of my free time back from Dark Cloud 2 and Sony.

I think its awesome Pokemon that is anybody played Shining Soul? They haven't released it in the states yet, but I wonder how the Euro version is?

Comment

Shining Soul is supposed to be a fairly poor diablo-alike.

As for Pok?mon, I've put in a few more hours now and it's really picking up. I *love* the way that some baddies are weak to certain elements, it is possibly the most satisfying thing ever wiping out a baddie several levels higher than you by using the right element pokemon - just watch that health bar shoot down

And the "Nintendo gameplay" stuff is just perfect - you know that if you can't get past something, it isn't because the game is rubbish, but because you haven't looked in the right place yet. Also, it has some old skool RPG elements that I've not seen in a while - screen mosaicing when you're poisoned and dark caves with a single light area round your player.

Bit difficult for kids though, innit?

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this game. But first I need a GB player..

And that will also probably mean I can't trade. Oh well..

Comment

Working...
                X