The Prisoner Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Prisoner Returns

I don't think this has already been posted.

ITV1 has confirmed that Sir Ian McKellen and Jim Caviezel will star in the network's reinvention of the 1960s thriller, The Prisoner, to be broadcast next year

Sounds like quite intriguing casting choices.
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Oh dear.

I wonder if it'll be filmed in Portmeirion?

Comment

The original series was completely off its nut and Patrick McGoohan seems to be the only person who actually knows what it was all about, so it'll be interesting to see how this new series compares if nothing else.

I hope they leave Portmerion alone. I'm sure they will.

Comment

Zomg!

First two eps aired in the US last night.

Not bad. I'll certainly watch the rest.

Comment

Cool. I never got to the the whole of the original but i loved what i saw.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up reminder!

Absolutely love The Prisoner. Been to Portmeirion a couple of times and it's a totally bonkers and intriguing place.

There's never really been anything like it before or since.

I don't think a new show will tarnish the original, because it's completely unique and stands on its own.

I look foward to seeing what they do with the concept.

Fave original episode is probably Many Happy Returns.

Comment

Can this even be remade? It was a complete product of the 60s - remaking it now would probably end up more like Lost or something. And there is nobody who could do the job of Patrick McGoohan.

Comment

There's a spoilerific 9 minute-long preview here. I stopped watching it after a couple of minutes for fear of the entire series being ruined, but it was intriguing.

Comment

Is it worth giving a whirl? it's on six times in three days I think, lot to keep up with given there's a fair bit else on at present.

Comment

I'm going to watch the last four eps tomorrow and I'll let you know David.

From the first two eps it should be worth four and a half hours. At least it a mini series and not a Bloaty pizza hog like most.

Comment

Ah didn't realise it was only six episodes long in total, will have a gander at the weekend, cheers.

Comment

Finish the mini last night. I felt it dipped a bit in the middle but I'm going to watch it again in a week or two to see if there is any hidden depth.

If you have the spare time it's worth a watch. Not essential viewing.

Comment

Thanks, it can wait in line then

Comment

What did you all make of this then?

It's been a long time since I watched the original, but I loved it back then. I don't remember details of the episodes, just the overall vibe. This one kept the kind of weird creepy overtone but some of the paranoia/threat that I remember was missing. Of course I always remember the intro quote.. but particularly "What do you want? Information". There wasn't much of that in the remake. There were no attempts to do anything to Number 6 except have him accept life in the village. The Jesus guy wasn't a patch on McGoohan, but that goes without saying.

The explanations were all laid out on a plate for you as well, which was disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                            X