Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro set ups - suggestions and ideas please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro set ups - suggestions and ideas please!

ok after a bit of looking around and question asking (thanks everyone so far that has helped me out) ive decided im going to sink some money into some retro consoles as well as improve my current (read nonexistent) gaming set up.

now to start off, i dont have a lot of money and the equiptment i buy, i want to be quality. i also dont have a great deal of room. for these 2 reasons, buying an lcd/plasma and a separate crt tv is not really an option.

my plan is this: im after a small hd tv (as to the tv itself, i think i will worry about that later) that i can use as a monitor for my pc as well as for my wii and other retro ninty consoles. as far as i can tell, crt is really the best way to play retro consoles but as ive said, i cant really do that so im wondering what options i have as to getting a good picture. so, im looking into upscaling.

i am clueless on this issue so any help would be much appreciated. is it worth upscaling the older consoles or even component from the wii, what is the best picture i can get from the older consoles, and does anyone have any recomendations for an upscaler?

sorry for my obvious ignorance, and thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Retro consoles look terrible on HD sets and upscalers can be very expensive. There's no way around it unfortunately - you're much better off getting say a small bedroom TV between 14" and 21" for your retro games and maybe one of the smaller Samsung HD sets f(say between 19" and 26") for your PC.

Comment

Have a look on ebay - you can pick up a state of the art CRT TV from a few years back for peanuts. Usually pick up though so search locally!

Comment

Check his location. He could live in the outback for all we know

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhh....

You take these things for granted living a few miles outside London!

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
            Check his location. He could live in the outback for all we know
            haha well not quite.

i suppose i probably could pick up a crt reasonably cheap, though i would want to get a decent one. my problem with living in australia, other than whats mentioned above, is that scart (which i understand is the best output you can get for retro consoles) is unknown here. i dont think ive ever seen a telly with a scart port...

Comment

Get one with S-Video then. It should still look great. My wii actually looked better running on a CRT through S-Video than it does through component on my LCD, not least because you get zero motion blur on a CRT. This is the biggest reason to get one, BTW.

You might also be able to get yourself an RGB monitor for your PC but you'll need a transcoder to plug your retro machines into it. Yakumo posted pictures and details of his in the retro purchases thread a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                Yakumo posted pictures and details of his in the retro purchases thread a couple of weeks ago.
                Yeah it's on pages 761/ 762.
                That's strange Aussie tellies not having RGB SCART's, as they're a PAL territory like UK/ Europe. Maybe all their stuff is manufactured in Japan, to Japanese spec (seeing as they're close), but with PAL and 240v circuity

*EDIT* Had a look on Aussie eBay and it looks like pretty much all the Teac manufactured TV's have SCART's!
                Last edited by Oldgamingfart; 05-07-2008, 15:39.

Comment

Working...
                X