PAL Sega 32x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL Sega 32x

Hi all what do I need to know with the PAL 32x ? anything to look for when buying one ?
    Also what PAL 32x games are rare ? and I dont mean ebay rare lol

Know Primal Rage is a rare un from the top of my head and Darxide, sure there will be some more out there that arent ebay rare.
    Spider Man Web of Fire? Knuckles Chaotix?

Comment

The three main rare PAL releases are Darxide, Primal Rage and T-Mek. All of these go for well into the triple figures on eBay and the last Darxide I saw went for £700 complete.
      Be prepared to shell out over £50 for Knuckles Chaotix and Kolibri.
      There were only 25 releases (I think) on the PAL machine; 4 of which are 32x Mega CD releases.
      SpiderMan Web of Fire was an NTSC only release.

When buying one make sure it has all the metal plates etc. In fairness, despite owning one myself, I feel the money can be spent better elsewhere - half of the games are sport ones lol. Of course, there are some exclusives though so it depends why you're buying it.
      Last edited by teenagewasteland; 08-07-2008, 10:54.

Comment

I think the most important thing you need to look for when buying is the cable to connect the 32X to the Megadrive!
        The common mistake to make is think that the 32X is a cartridge similar to Sonic & Knuckles. The 32X requires its own Power Supply and the cable between it and the Megadrive!
        If youre connecting to the MD1, you need the cable and the adaptor for MD1!
        Without it you cant play, there are some guides online on how to build one.

However I must say, with the price tags that some games demand on the 32X and the quality of the games, its not really worth it unless youre a diehard sega collector. The only games id personally recommend are Chaotix (obviously, however im bias to Sonic games), After Burner, Virtua Racing and Space Harrier. However these are all pretty much avaliable on other systems including the Megadrive (apart from Chaotix)
        Cant speak on behalf of the import 'Tempo' though, which looks quick good!

Also the rare games mentioned above... Good luck finding them, if im not mistaken those titles quantity are in single figures. However im hopeful that a big storage box full of them is hiding somewhere waiting to be opened n sold on cheaply!

...I can dream!

EDIT: also for the uber sega fans, if you have a 50/60hz switch but no RGB Scart, the 32X allows you to play 60hz in colour!
        Something you cant normally do without the RGB cable!
        Last edited by Cauterize; 08-07-2008, 10:23.

Comment

I can tell you 2 to avoid, Doom (not a great conversion and the screen is chopped due to low res), and Mortal Kombat 2 which is practically no different from the Megadrive cartridge version apart from some extra sound effects. Unfortunately for me those are the only 2 I have at the mo!

Comment

Kolibri is to die for! Its just beautiful. Hard to get. I had a cartridge only version at one point

Gary

Comment

I was looking to collect all the Pal releases and know all about the cable fun !
              Thanks for the start guys

Comment

I hope you know what you're doing matey, I got it in my head I wanted a 32X about 2 years ago, biggest waste of money I've ever made tbh.

Comment

I think even if you want to do it, you'll struggle due to the rarity of Darxide/T-Mek/Primal. I see the appeal though - there are only 25 games to get; how hard can it be!

Comment

Last I knew there were only five known copies of Primal Rage in circulation. One of them appeared on here new and sealed for £300 (I forget who was selling it) and Big Seany once famously found a copy in his local Lame Station for £6.99, the luck bast!

Darxide meanwhile can be bought as a download for PocketPC and some mobile phones. If you really MUST play it I guess that beats paying £840 which is what one copy went for.

Comment

If youre wanting one to play, keep in mind the Tototek 64M MD Flash card supports 32X games... A nice easy n cheap(er) way to appreciate those rarities!

Dont get me started on the flash card as I can talk about it for ages, its fantastic :P

Comment

There were 6 known Primal Rage's last I heard (admittedly I've been out o the loop for a while) and about 4 T-Mek's. More DarXide's, but that'll still sell for more since it's a genuine PAL-exclusive.

Comment

I see Darxide cart only is on eBay just now...

Comment

Originally posted by anagrama View Post
                            There were 6 known Primal Rage's last I heard (admittedly I've been out o the loop for a while) and about 4 T-Mek's. More DarXide's, but that'll still sell for more since it's a genuine PAL-exclusive.
                            Plus there is the minor consideration that Darxide is actually a kick-ass game, whereas Primal Rage is a steaming pile of turd and T-Mek is a fairly pedestrian mech-shooter ...

Comment

T-Mek on ebay now O_o
                              I could never spend a grand on a below average 32x game...

Comment

Working...
                              X