Ive been converted to the RGB cult...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been converted to the RGB cult...

My recent purchase of a PC Engine with a RGB Scart Lead modded Tennokoe 2 unit has introduced me to the world of RGB.

Now i know alot of you will probably be passing up on this thread as youre already fans of RGB, however Id like to put it up for the others who havent yet converted...

I was (originally) happy with standard scart leads as i thought it was a much better step up from RF (obviously!).
    The only experience I had had prior to this with RGB was on the PS1. The picture was obviously much crisper and *ahem* sexier, but i never thought it would make much difference on older consoles due to the lack of pixels in comparison to newer consoles.

I didnt really care too much for RGB anyways as long as i could see and enjoy the game i was playing.

I am a big fan of the PC Engine and my Duo gets used often, so i was very used to the picture quality i was getting, and also very pleased (at the time).
    It was using a standard scart lead and this was the quality i was getting, and beside it is the quality i was shocked and amazed at once i plugged in the RGB PCE...

The step up was just incredible, before i had not really noticed the fuzzyness as much around pixels nor how crisp it could be. While playing Parodius, there was a new wow factor too it (even though i get one everytime i play it!)

It really does make a fantastic difference and if you havent yet taken the dive, it really is worth it!
    These next few weeks im going to begin to mod all the consoles I can for RGB and build the RGB scarts from the guides on the net

Hopefully the pictures will convince a few to step up, however you need to see it to believe it!

Yep RGB always has been king - full speed, sull screen and beautiful clarity.

Comment

Well as I am stuck with older TVs finding RGB through talk on this site was a godsend, even on newer consoles, that terrible text on dead rising becomes so much more bearable with it! I would really be interested to see the effects like you have by going back & trying some older consoles

Comment

If you think the PCE looks good wait until you see a Mega Drive or SNES running in it. Beautiful! The colours will melt your eyes.

Comment

RGB is fantastic - I have it on all my consoles except my N64 (hopefully will get that sorted out soon) and my NES (not sure if people have finalised the mod to do so).

Comment

NES RGB can be done but you need some pretty rare parts to do it, namely a chip from either a PlayChoice 10 arcade machine, which was basically a coin-op NES which let you play any of several games for a set time per coin, or a Famicom titler, which was one of many bizarre hybrid Famicom / domestic appliances released in Japan. Titlers are extremely rare but you can often find PlayChoice 10 boards on ebay, though they are becoming more difficult to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
              While playing Parodius, there was a new wow factor too it (even though i get one everytime i play it!)
              You get a what? A woody?!? If that's what floats you boat then you'll love Sexy Parodius.

Comment

I was blown away when i bought one of chaoticjelly`s megadrive RGB scart leads of ebay, crystal clear

Got to get my duo modded, is next on my list

Comment

Slightly on-topic, is the AV switching signal when using a RGB SCART on the SNES meant to be weak? Reason I ask is that it doesn't seem to send a high enough current to the pin responsible for changing the TV's channel to AV automatically. Even when directly connected to the TV, it's incapable of making it autoswitch... different cable makes no difference at all.

Also, the SCART box I use for switching between devices has a light to show when the AV switching signal is being sent - for every other console/freeview box etc it lights up brightly, yet when using the SNES it's very faint.

Any thoughts? Is it normal behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                    You get a what? A woody?!? If that's what floats you boat then you'll love Sexy Parodius.
                    Haha I 'was' refering to my love of Shmups and the cutness of this combined! And I am a fan of Sexy Parodius too

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                    Slightly on-topic, is the AV switching signal when using a RGB SCART on the SNES meant to be weak? Reason I ask is that it doesn't seem to send a high enough current to the pin responsible for changing the TV's channel to AV automatically. Even when directly connected to the TV, it's incapable of making it autoswitch... different cable makes no difference at all.

Also, the SCART box I use for switching between devices has a light to show when the AV switching signal is being sent - for every other console/freeview box etc it lights up brightly, yet when using the SNES it's very faint.

Could this be the fix you need Hohum?

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                    If you think the PCE looks good wait until you see a Mega Drive or SNES running in it. Beautiful! The colours will melt your eyes.
                    Ill take your word for it Matty n post my thoughts on it later in the week when I get round to sorting out the cables!

Comment

Nah bud, that's for people having trouble with the image itself on a PAL SNES (I have a USA machine). Picture displays fine for me, just that I have to select the AV channel manually as it doesn't send a strong enough signal to autoswitch for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post

It could be that a wire that should be soldered to Pin 8 of the scart lead is instead soldered to Pin 16. That wire sends the signal to switch to AV, it then goes via a resistor to Pin 16 to switch it to RGB mode. I've seen a fair few SNES cables soldered the wrong way, with the wire going to 16, then via the resistor to pin 8 - this will switch to RGB mode, but not give enough volts for your TV to switch to AV

something like that anyway. The last SNES cable I was sent to make a N64 booster cable was wired up wrong also.

Pete

Comment

I'd suspect the cable, if it didn't do it with an official Nintendo RGB SCART cable aswell...

Comment

ah...

Comment

Guys just so you know a RGB Scart lead for a NTSC SNES/SFC will not work with a PAL SNES and the same is true for tor a PAL RGB Lead. You'll need two leads one for a PAL console and one for an NTSC one.

It's something to do with the inside wiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X