SNES RGB Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNES RGB Problem

Hi, I'm running my modded PAL SNES at 60Hz with a modded (capacitators taken out, I believe) Nintendo RGB cable.

As you can see, all the pixels are 'jagged'. However, when the SNES is on 50Hz mode, the pixels are fine. I'm not sure what the problem is... should I maybe be using a regular Nintendo RGB cable (for a NTSC SNES) on the PAL SNES running at 60Hz, or does that not work at all? Any help appreciated

It might be normal for the TV to do this as the picture size is increased. Maybe try turning down any sharpness settings or picture enhancement modes.

Comment

I still need to mod my official gc cable for this , hmm

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgamingfart View Post
        It might be normal for the TV to do this as the picture size is increased. Maybe try turning down any sharpness settings or picture enhancement modes.
        Nah it isn't. All my other consoles run in RGB perfectly, and besides, like I said, it doesn't do it when it's in 50Hz mode.

Comment

Final Fantasy 2, eh?

I was gonna buy the SNES version eventually but knowing the translation was notoriously bad put me off, hehe.

Comment

Try putting 47 ohm resistors onto the R, G and B lines (pins 7, 11 and 15).

There should also be a 75 ohm resistor going from ground (pin 18) to composite video (pin 20).

Check the pinout of the rest of the wires from SCART to AV plug with a multimeter set to continuity/diode test mode if you have one (cost, about £5 for a basic digital model on eBay).

A lot of these cables are poor quality cable, hard to solder and inflexible, with the bare minimum of solder to hold them into the solder bucket. Crimped connections are also used sometimes, these can be unreliable too.. try putting some extra solder on the pins, making the connections nice, neat and secure..

Comment

Here, I took a photo of the wiring inside the Scart:

Does anyone notice anything wrong?

Comment

Even with my new RGB cable its a bit weird on 60hz with certain games, but fine on 50. Wierd. I put it down to the game I tried (SMW) not being pal60 capable anyway really.

Comment

Forcing a PAL SMW to run at 60hz will cause graphical glitching. Not sure if this is because it was speed optimised or because it has a DSP chip inside but either way it's prone to flickering and general weirdness.

What other games do you have that you could test it with?

Comment

I never had problems with SMW flickering (just the pixels issue as in the first post). I did have flickering on All-Stars though.

Every game I have, whether it's PAL, NTSC-J or NTSC-U has the pixels issue, but is fine in 50Hz.

Comment

yer, it runs alright but is stuttery, I knew this from when I tried it before when I got a 50/60 switch fitted. It was more the fact when I flicked it into 60 and jumped, it would cause a jaggy line around the cliffs in the background, I should get a US version I guess really.

oh, by the way, I have one of those convertors , one of these things but not the exact same one, an unnamed model.

http://www.sitesnes.com/photo/img_acc/SNES%20Game%20Converter%20(Fire).jpg

I can't get it to do a single thing, mind you it might be broken as I only got it for 99p so that might be the case, however I tried a jp cart and a pal cart in at once and it did nothing, also I tried it as a straight-thru with just a single pal cart in and it wouldn't even boot that, so maybe its dead. . or maybe I'm using it wrong? I dunno.

yes, thats what I was trying to describe, in 60hz the pixels are a bit weird, alongside the problems with running it in 60hz that is.

maybe I should just get a US snes. heh, do they even do RGB? I'd be quite happy with mine, well I am actually, I guess I need to do more testing really.

Comment

So this jaggy line, is it actual pixels or just a sort of artefacting? It could be either that your TV has its sharpness turned up too high, has the contrast turned up too high, or is just gash at RGB. It could also be because you're used to seeing the game squashed in PAL format and now it's been expanded it doesn't subjectively look right to you.

Comment

No it's definitely not a problem with my TV as all my other consoles display RGB fine. It's definitely not to do with the squashed PAL picture either, I'll take some better pictures in a few minutes.

Comment

First thing I did was turn my tv's sharpness setting for the RGB connection off (or down completely, if that disables it)

it'd be difficult to get a picture really, it could just be down to it running in 60hz wierdly as its not designed for it, as you said, I'll try a konami title such as super CV4, because they all happily work in 60hz with no issues at all, and see if it does the same thing, I don't think I'd be able to get a picture easily as it only does it for example when I jump with mario. bah

any ideas on the (dead?) converter? The JP/US cart goes in the back and the PAL cart in front?

Comment

Here are some hopefully clearer pictures:

Fire Emblem running at 50Hz (no problems, except the squashed and slow image ):

Fire Emblem running at 60Hz (note the jagged edges on everything):

EarthBound running at 50Hz:

EarthBound running at 60Hz:
                              Last edited by honeymustard; 24-07-2008, 17:14.

Comment

Working...
                              X