Fable - discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fable - discussion

Not a game I'm familiar with, our Fable review said it didn't match the hype, but was still a substantial and lavish experience.

How does it stand up today?

It didn't match he hype because the developers, and one person in particular, were promising things no game has ever and, even now I suspect, could deliver. What you were left with however was a well thought out, well presented, charming, highly attractive action/adventure with 'lite' RPG elements. Suited me perfectly.

Good main missions and side missions with loads extra to do if you wanted. Not free roaming and big as something like a GTA but still an impressively large, varied and often, as said, beautiful game. Well judged difficulty level too.

What I really liked and what sets the tone marking it out as a very British game, is the humour. Having villagers clap and praise you when you do some heroic deed or the opposite if you've been bad. Getting people drunk, hearing the funny comments they make, dealing with surly shop keepers or needy wives and girlfriends, giving presents to all and sundry to get them to love you and the amusing story scrolls you collect for the school kids. Almost forgot: chicken kicking - funniest game idea I've ever come across, even beats the exploding pigs found in Deathtrap Dungeon (another old and forgotten British humour filled game). Those lovely little touches made Fable for me.

I can't think of anything I didn't like really, only the over accelerated day/night cycle annoyed a bit. It's a common feature of too many games more designed to show off the pretty lighting effects rather than add to the gameplay.

It's just a very nice sword and sorcery game with an adequate story, solid core gameplay and decent replay value too.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 02-08-2008, 11:34.

Comment

In Ted Bovis style ...

"First rule of reviewing videogames, Spike. Ignore all hype and judge it on the merits that the actual game contains. If that fails, throw in a knob gag."

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        How does it stand up today?
        Stands up very well, you won't find a better casual adventure/RPG/run about slashing collecting gold type game easily, you certainly won't find a game with better visuals on Xbox1 or half of current gen games.

I'm quite inclined to consider it in my top five the best example of developer competence of any game for the past 8 years.

After completing it, I left the game unattended, when I came back and found myself sitting idle in town, the boss dead my rating an angel, I made my own mission to kill everyone in the game... the result

Comment

He, That's what I love about Fable, you can do almost anything. Although all my saves are characters that are holy for some reason..?

Oh, has anyone managed to find out how to get the unlockable chicken suit in the game? I know it's in there, but not quite sure how to get it. Although it's probably something to do with a chicken-kicken contest.
          Last edited by Malc; 08-08-2008, 17:06.

Comment

I didn't know there was a whole chicken suit but I'm fairly certain I had a chicken hat from getting the maximum score at the chicken kicking contest.

The info is almost certainly in one of the Gamefaqs guides.

Comment

Damn, I forgot how hard and long the
              fight went on for.

I'll have to level up my archery more to keep a safe distance between me and the enemy.

Comment

How does fable stand up on vc on the 360? And the re release with all the extra content that came out?

Comment

VC? I don't quite understand what you're asking mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                    VC? I don't quite understand what you're asking mate?
                    He means BC (backwards compatibility).

And the answer, I believe, is that the Lost Chapters budget release (XBox classics) doesn't work. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                      He means BC (backwards compatibility).

And the answer, I believe, is that the Lost Chapters budget release (XBox classics) doesn't work. Is that correct?
                      Oh, BC. I understand.

No that's not correct; Fable The Lost Chapters AND the original work on the 360. It suffers from frame rate problems and longer loading times but after awhile you get used to it.

Comment

Oh ok, it works! Cheers Malc.

Comment

Our top post summed up this game quite nicely. We were all expecting greater things but what we got was very complete and fun to play through. Can't remember too much about it but do recall wanting for more. Very similar in moods felt to that French game with the girl and the pig.

And, like life, most of my decisions left me fairly neutral in appearance. In fact I recall it being really difficult to obtain a 'good' character. Did it represent my actual self? Ooh..
                          Last edited by iloveannie; 14-08-2008, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by iloveannie View Post
                            Our top post summed up this game quite nicely. We were all expecting greater things but what we got was very complete and fun to play through. Can't remember too much about it but do recall wanting for more. Very similar in moods felt to that French game with the girl and the pig.

And, like life, most of my decisions left me fairly neutral in appearance. In fact I recall it being really difficult to obtain a 'good' character. Did it represent my actual self? Ooh..
                            Girl + pig = Beyond Good and Evil? Lovely game too and also getting a sequel at last, allegedly.

Comment

Completed it today (or yesterday at this time at night) thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the sequel. A superior version is just what I need after extensive play on this poor 360 emulation, with widescreen, HD, better visuals and sound, gameplay, longevity and a canine companion!

Loved the added

snow level

and story that was added for TLC, makes more sense and lasts a bit longer. A very good RPG game.

Comment

Working...
                              X