Xbox RGB dispay very dark..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox RGB dispay very dark..

I have all of my consoles hooked up through RGB on my TV, and they all display a beautiful, sharp, bright picture (Japanese GC, Super Famicom, Japanese PlayStation2, US Dreamcast etc), but my Xbox (connected via an offiicial RGB Advanced Scart lead) gives a duller picture than the rest.

The display is sharp still, with no bleeding (apart from on Moto GPs red logo which seems a little blurry - anyone noticed that?), but its just not very bright.

Could it just be down to the video encoder in the Xbox?

THanks very much.

The Xbox has very poor RGB output.

I've noticed it and Saurian has commented on it many times. There is no fix for it whatsoever. You're just gonna have to put up with it.

Comment

It could be amplified via a the SCART cable box, but honestly its worth just turning the brightness and contrast on the TV up.

Comment

Where's the EDGE forum when you need it?

At last count there were about 4-5 pages on this very subject.

Mine is as fine as the GC, DC, PS2, etc.

I think it depends on your make of TV.

Comment

Your eyes are broken then.

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
            Your eyes are broken then.
            No honestly.

I take the picture quality very seriously, that's why I got the modded RGB cable for my US GC, and I get the same results with the Xbox RGB picture as my other devices (including Digi Box) ie a brighter, sharper, more colourful display as opposed to composite.

Comment

Same here my Xb is fine using RGB.

It's only the early US models that had bad RGB output, all the later models are fine.

Comment

I agree with that. My xbox rgb looks fine in comparisson to the others. Blair (who has yet to sign onto this new forum) would say exactly the same thing. No problems from our end.

Comment

Yadda yadda.

'Tis up to you dc-arena... Do you believe the brer with the console modding skillz, the man with the best signature ever and your own eyes or these people?

The choice is yours!

Comment

I have a US Xbox manufactured on november 17th 2001 ,so it's one of the first batch. The RGB picture is super-soft and the colors are dull, frankly it looks total bollocks. I play Shenmue II on my DC, then on my Xbox, and the DC version is 1000X sharper and better looking - go figure.

i can't tell you how dissapointed i get booting up Panzer Dragoon Orta - i look at the back of the box and see these glorious, vivid and sharp graphics, and on-screen i see a low definition mess with drab colors and ****e contrast - this is even after i whack up the sharpness and brightness on my TV. It's so poor in fact, it actually makes my eyes really tired straining at the picture - no joke - it really hurts my vision, and i have always had great eyesite and don't wear glasses.

Comment

Thanks for the responces. I am glad I am not alone in the poor XBox RGB display area then... I hate to ask as its usually ****e, but hows the S-Videos output on the XB?

I have a 6 month old Sony TV by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
                        Yadda yadda.

'Tis up to you dc-arena... Do you believe the brer with the console modding skillz, the man with the best signature ever and your own eyes or these people?

The choice is yours!
                        I believe my eyes.

Comment

I had problems with the rgb output on the first ntsc xbox I had, I remember spending ages messing with op-amps trying to get a decent rgb output. Luckily the xbox I have now displays very vibrant colours

Comment

It depends on the series

The majority of Xboxes I have come across display a weak RGB signal. The initial USA machines were terrible and I get LOADS of emails from people wondering about why the picture on thier Xbox is so dark - so it's not people's imagination or a TV issue. Some PAL series 4034 machines also suffer from the same weak RGB signal, and I was told yesterday that they display a very dark component image too.

The newer models (with the heatsink on the CPU and no seperate board for the controller ports) are brighter, as people who have sold their older machines for newer ones will tell you.

Comment

I got a PAL Xbox which also has this problem with RGB, its the official lead I have and I got the machine near release.

I got an extended warrenty from dixons on the xbox, do you think this is a good enough reason to get it replaced and do you think they would change it for this reason.

I am weird about picture quality on games, its got to be as good as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X