Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of Neo Geo AES tech questions

Hi

UPDATE for anyone who might be doing a search and looking for some answers - the photo shows my motherboard setup for 60hz, definately not 50hz, for 50hz i removed the link coming off the corner of the chip, and bridged the 2 points in the PAL area of the board, this sent 5v down to pin 64 of a nearby chip that I can't remember the name of. END OF UPDATE

Just picked up and repaired (I hope) an AES today, my first Neo Geo. Now I haven't got any games yet (keeping an eye on ebay unless anyone's got a common classic to start me off!) so I can't fully test the system but it does boot to a blue screen.

Should the AES have any RF shielding inside? This one doesn't (just like an Asian MD I picked up recently). Also, I'm unsure if it is ouputting PAL or NTSC? The attached picture shows what I guess to be the area that would configure it. Can anyone tell me from this pic what's what?

It came with a 100v PSU that outputs 10v so I'm using a MD PSU with it. The motherboard is a NEO-AES3-6. I plan on fitting a power LED, RBG bypass and a Universe Bios at somepoint

ta
    Pete
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mmmonkey; 18-08-2008, 10:19.

Send a PM to ChaoticJelly.
    He bought a Neo Geo AES for repair the other week and I know he knows the insides quite well!

Comment

Hi mmmonkey,

What was wrong with it?

The blue screen means hardware test OK, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is working OK as many faults do not cause an error with the hardware test.

I think the majority of Japanese and European AES' do not have RF shielding, but earlier board revisions and some US AES' have RF shielding which is fitted to the underside of the lid section, and it connects to ground on the mainboard via a thick green wire and screw terminal (with screw).

With it being a sixth revision board, the lack of RF shielding sounds about right.

RE: PAL/NTSC, looks like it is set to PAL since the PAL jumper in the top right is grounded on that chip. Cut it and it should display in 60Hz (but still in PAL). There would be no point converting to actual NTSC video so you should probably ignore anywhere else that has PAL/NTSC printed on the board.

James.

Comment

Hello there!

Cheers for all the info

It had a broken trace on one of the RAM chips near the reset button, I bypassed it using a piece of kynar.

I'm hoping to get my hands on buster_broons Fatal Fury so that I can test this out and see how it behaves.

I just signed up at the neo-geo forums (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2568214) and asked on there as tonight I noticed that after it stayed on the blue screen it would blink on and off, but stay on a blue screen if I held the reset button for about a second and let go.

I'll tinker with the PAL jumper once I get a cart to try out. If it's okay then I'll try out the RGB bypass that I've seen on neo-geo.com

Ta
        Pete

Comment

Are you 'the' mmmonkey?

if so, great site!

Comment

'The' mmmonkey, 'The' chaoticjelly and 'The' kernow all posting in the same thread... the space-time continuum has been blasted apart!

Comment

Once Again Legends Return (damn caps filter)

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                Are you 'the' mmmonkey?

if so, great site!
                cheers just been trying to update it a bit recently, and hopefully some AES mods on there soon.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                  Are you 'the' mmmonkey?

if so, great site!
                  Agreed... There should be a mmmonkey fan club!

Seriously, your guides have been used by me so many times...
                  Its beginning to feel like we should all take you out for a few drinks!

Comment

Paypal Donate button appearing soon

seriously though, there's not really much on there that I pioneered, it's just small updates of other peoples work in most cases, put into a language that I understand!

Comment

Working...
                    X