UK PS1 game on NTSC-U PS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK PS1 game on NTSC-U PS1

An American buyer bought a playstation game from me on ebay and has emailed saying I have sent him an audio disc and wants to know where the real game is?

Now I tested the disc and it worked fine - is that what happens with a ps1 game when it is played on the wrong region system?

It refuses to load... Games have different regions, PAL, NTSC and NTSC-J...
    If you look on the disc you sold will see PAL written.

If you play a game from a different region without the right hardware, it wont work.
    PS1 Games are region locked unfortunately unless you have the PS1 Chipped or with a Action Replay.

Did you list the game as PAL or state that it wouldnt work on a different region console?

Comment

Depends... if the disc has real audio tracks on it I guess the PS1 will see them if it doesn't recognise a game being there.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

^ Yes, I'm pretty sure that's happened to me with PS1, Saturn and Dreamcast games (when not switched to the right region )

Comment

Originally posted by Cauterize View Post
          It refuses to load... Games have different regions, PAL, NTSC and NTSC-J...
          If you look on the disc you sold will see PAL written.

If you play a game from a different region without the right hardware, it wont work.
          PS1 Games are region locked unfortunately unless you have the PS1 Chipped or with a Action Replay.

Did you list the game as PAL or state that it wouldnt work on a different region console?
          Yes, I have this clearly stated on all my auction listings -

Please note that unless stated otherwise all games are UK PAL. Buyers outside of Europe/Australia should ensure compatibility with their system before purchase as no refunds will be made.

It is clear that the buyer hasn't done that and yet he is claiming a full refund.

If he leaves negative feedback do you think ebay would remove it?

Since the feedback changes i've been hit with a couple of idiots, all UK based so far, so a negative would be really damaged to my feedback

I'm determined not to have to refund him though, ?10+ due to an idiot not reading a description if so

Comment

I doubt Ebay would remove the negative feedback, unless it offence or if he did not pay for it.

If he paid with PayPal (which is what I am guessing as it was an overseas sale) then you might not have any choice BUT refund him. If you sent it via regular post and with no tracking , he can claim he never recieved it and get all his money back and keep the game.

If he starts a "significantly not-as-described" then he has to send it back with a tracking number and PayPal automatically withdraws the refund from your account.

Either Option it seems like you may cop a negative one way or another.

I had the exact thing happen to me when I sold a PAL Clock Tower to some guy in the US. I had PAL only in my listing, and that it would only work on PAL consoles not NTSC etc etc.

After he buys and pays for it, I message him like, 3 or 4 times to double check to see if he understands it will not work on a standard NTSC console. Of course when he got it he complained it did not work, so I just said "Tough".

He never got back to me after that, and he never gave me a negative whichw as lucky.

Comment

You are probably right to be honest, but it is very irritating when I stand to lose out due to a buyers failure to read the item description properly.

I'm not sure whether the ?11 is worth more to me than the negative feedback. Even if I did refund him he might end up leaving it anyway out of spite.

As it stands i've sent him a polite email explaining his mistake and have told him a refund can not be given for an incorrect purchase.

I won't be shipping anything out to the United States of the World again anyway

Comment

Originally posted by t-bone-retro View Post

Since the feedback changes i've been hit with a couple of idiots, all UK based so far, so a negative would be really damaged to my feedback
                they didnt remove the negative i got from a USA buyer buying a UK gamecube game

they told me that everytbody with eBay was entitled to their own opinion

and to this day its still the only 1 negative comment i have

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post

they told me that everytbody with eBay was entitled to their own opinion
                  apart from sellers it seems

bri

Comment

Originally posted by t-bone-retro View Post
                    Yes, I have this clearly stated on all my auction listings

It is clear that the buyer hasn't done that and yet he is claiming a full refund.

I'm determined not to have to refund him though, £10+ due to an idiot not reading a description if so
                    Just Checking, and well, have a warm welcome to the ebay of today Ant!
                    As long as eBays pockets are filling up, they dont give a **** about sellers!
                    It used to be a great community, however since the arrival of craigslist n so on in America (And craigslist taking over to a degree) eBay have decided to make so many changes to (hopefully) stay on top of it all over here and europe.

Where as we may get annoyed with selling at times, eBay knows full well that if we gave up there would only be another few people who want to start selling. Its an endless money cycle for them.
                    To list, its pennies, sure, nice and cheap, but how many listings are on eBay right now... Their pockets are gonna be pretty full!

The insanity levels have risen over the last year. Megadrive Adaptors being 'Piracy Devices', no Negatives from Sellers and the awful new look.... ugh!

As Blast Hardbody quite rightly says, unfortunately youre most likely gonna be in a lose-lose situation unless the buyer shows some decency.
                    Paypal ALWAYS favours the buyer no matter what...
                    Ive been in the same situation a number of times and it always depends on how decent the person is.

If you do find you recieve a negative, its highly unlikely that you will be able to get it removed either. There used to be lots of ways to tackle negatives, however now, it must fall into certain breaches of eBays feedback system to be removed. This, as reasonable as it would be, wont class as one of them.

Blast Hardbody is also right about saying that the buyer could claim it hasnt arrived. You may have you recipt for the air mail payment, but what does that prove apart from the fact you sent a parcel to the USA?
                    I seriously suggest if you ever send abroad again that you send it insured (Its an extra £3.50 (that the buyer will pay)) as then you have proof its arrived too.
                    Cutting off Americans from your auctions will prevent this guy from buying again, however why starve the rest of the nation based on this first experience? These are potential customers!

Id hold out until a claim is made in Paypal, if im not mistaken there is only a certain amount of time before its too late to file a claim.
                    The other thing you could do is offer this guy alternatives on how to play it. Point him in the direction of Import Adapters and hope that with his attention being there (and you being helpful) he will ease off and go hunting for one instead. The obvious thing he should be doing now!

And a final option is to ask him to send the game back to be 'tested' again, therefore you havent lost anything technically and you can refund him and relist!

Whatever you do, do NOT provoke him or say 'No Refund' as of yet... Any form of this will only get you the negative you dont want.
                    Try to solve the situation while you still can.
                    Last edited by Cauterize; 09-08-2008, 14:30.

Comment

Can you not just accept it back and say as a gesture of goodwill once you've received it back you will refund minus postage costs since it's clearly stated in the listing and it isn't your fault that it doesn't work..

That way you may not receive a negative, and the buyer will be happy.

These days US customers are rare.. you know it costs 5p extra to make your items appear on eBay.com and eBay.ca so-called "International Visibility" which used to be free.

There is no way they would remove a negative feedback, the only time they remove it is if it has profanities in it, racism, your real name, details etc, references to police or ebay investigations, and also if their contact information is fake i.e. telephone number, email address.

Comment

Working...
                      X