Super Puzzle Fighter II (GBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Puzzle Fighter II (GBA)

I've never really played Super Puzzle Fighter II before. Most gaming websites have given it good reviews in general, although personal opinions of it are split between my friends.

I've got the chance to purchase a mint-condition copy of this for about ?14-?15. So, I have a few questions.

1) Is it any good? Where does it rank in the pantheon of great puzzle games?

2) Is the GBA version worth buying? I've seen running clips of it and it does look decent, but does it play well?

Guys - a penny for your provebials, please!...

It looks fantastic and people rave about it but I personally can't make head or tail of it.

Try the demo on Xbox live arcade if you can.

Comment

Puzzle Fighter is good on GBA but the game is better with 2 human players and it has an annoying bug in his european version. If you finish the arcade version and play then the Sakura's theme in the bonus section, the game will crash.

You can play 2 players with 2 on the same GBA/Controller, one with L and Left/Right, the other with R, B and A. Or you can play with the cable link, 2 GBAs, 2 cartridges.

I suggest you a version of the game in which you can play with some opponents. PSN or XBLA versions are better on this point.

The game exists also on PSOne, Dreamcast, GBA, PC, Arcade, PSP, Sega Saturn though.

Comment

I had it for the Saturn but couldn't play it due to my (pretty mild) colour blindness. Annoying

Comment

It's a really nice game. The GBA version - is very good. It's a must-have GBA game - if you enjoy puzzlers.

Comment

Puzzle Fighter is superb as long as you're not colour blind. As BigDeadFreak mentioned, even very mild colour blindness can make it very difficult to play due to their choice of colours.

I wouldn't recommend the GBA version though. It's buggy, is the only GBA game I ever had that was prone to crashes and the input doesn't feel as natural as any other version of Puzzle Fighter I've played - it's almost like it's being emulated with frame skip and sometimes your button presses match the frame you're on and other times it doesn't. It's a poor conversion.

But it works most of the time and, if that's okay for you, the GBA is a good place for it I guess. But almost every other version I've played is better.

Comment

I found the GBA version to be fine, and I think you can pick it up for pennies.

But yeah, it probably would be better over live, or you could just play it through mame.

Comment

Working...
              X